The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 23, 2020, 09:04 PM   #1
Kalinka63

First Gun-what else to get?

Greetings! I’ve been a member here since 2013, and finally ‘pulled the trigger’: took Maryland class, waiting for my HQL and permit, and ordered a Walther PPS M2!

I want to see what else I should get while I am waiting to pick up the pistol. I will use it for home self-defense (at least now I am not applying for a concealed carry in my state, although I am also waiting for my Utah CCW). Right now I have, or have ordered

-range bag
-mechanics gloves
-ear protection
-eye protection
-dry caps to practice loading
-gun cleaning kit
-gun bore snake
-a couple of ammo cases
-speed loader
-paper targets
-small gun safe

I have taken the NRA Basic Pistol class in 2013, and have been to gun ranges a few times in the last few years so I do have some experience, but plan on practicing a bit in the beginning.

Am I missing anything?
Old April 23, 2020, 09:20 PM   #2
dahermit

"-speed loader"?
Did you mean, "magazine loader"?
Old April 23, 2020, 09:49 PM   #3
50 shooter

Are you shooting with gloves on? If so, do you have enough room in the trigger guard for a gloved finger?

You'll probably find the changes that you want to make will come as you get everything. I don't use bore snakes as I've never seen a need for one. A good gun cleaning kit will have everything you need except for some different types of cleaning solvents.
No time for rearranging.
Old April 23, 2020, 11:29 PM   #4
Rangerrich99

Holster
Mag pouch
Old April 24, 2020, 06:25 AM   #5
Spats McGee
Staff

I think a (perhaps belated?) welcome to TFL is in order! Sounds like you're off to a good start.
Old April 24, 2020, 07:54 AM   #6
cc-hangfire

Kalinka63, another welcome to the ranks of gun owners! As Spats McGee said above, looks like you have the basics.

Two little things: 1) The cleaning kit likely includes cleaner and oil; I just use CLP (as in Clean-Lube-Protect; SafariLand brand is easy to find).
2) You've been to the range so you probably know this but it’s something I always tell new shooters- wear a brimmed hat. There’s nothing as disconcerting as hot brass down your collar or - worse yet - behind your shooting glasses. I’m assuming you’re shooting a semi-auto; you can skip the hat w revolvers!

Great to have you with us!
Old April 24, 2020, 11:16 AM   #7
std7mag

Welcome out of the closet!

I have a PPS M1. Love the thing!

Other things i would get.

Holster, for when you decide to get your CCP.
Good gun belt! DeSantis makes a value line belt that it quite good.
If you have access to old blueprints, they make great target backers.
Staplegun. Can be had from dollar store to hang targets. You'll be surprised how many people will ask to borrow it!

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old April 24, 2020, 11:47 AM   #8
URIT

Welcome to the fold and congratulations on buying a Walther PPS.

My first semi-auto CCW was a PSS40. I carried revolvers OWB for decades and wanted the IWB option for the PPS. I was undecided about how to carry the pistol so I bought a Remora holster (#6ART) made with the sticky material to experiment.

The Remora allowed me to reposition the rig around my waistline to find the best carry position for me considering my torso and waist size. It also allowed me to experiment with cant and cross draw possibilities.

I still use the Remora for long road trips but prefer open-top clip-on leather holsters for EDC. Remora included one of their universal mag pouches with the holster and I still use it for EDC.

When I go to the outdoor range I use 6" paper plates, 3X5 cards, 3" Post-its, and 1.5"X2" neon Post-its for targets at 7 yards. Some of the drills I use can be found here... https://pistol-training.com/drills

I like the smell of Hoppe's #9 in my gun room. Enjoy your PPS!!!!!

Almost forgot. Here is a valuable article a new PPS owner needs... https://www.waltherforums.com/thread...rvations.8904/

Last edited by URIT; April 25, 2020 at 04:00 PM.
Old April 24, 2020, 11:50 AM   #9
HistoryJunky

Welcome!

I personally would ditch the gloves. The might make shooting a smaller gun a little more pleasant, but I doubt you'd be wearing them all the time.

More than likely your grip with gloves on will be different than without. That has been my experience.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old April 24, 2020, 04:38 PM   #10
MC 1911

Get some training and learn the laws in MD. I don't believe Utah will issue you a CCW without a Md. license.
Old April 26, 2020, 09:12 PM   #11
big al hunter

A couple of extra magazines so you can practice reloading drills. And another gun. Can't have just 1
Old April 27, 2020, 12:57 PM   #12
Kalinka63

Thanks for the suggestions, vocabulary lessons(!) and general advice. It’s great to be a part of this community-and I liked the reminder about an extra set of ear and eye protection for my friends who generally only believe in the 1st Amendment.

Regarding the Utah CCW: I did check several sources. Utah requires a non-resident to have a CCW from their home state IF such state has reciprocity with Utah. Since the People’s State of Maryland does not recognize the Utah CCW, I don’t need to have a Maryland CCW to have the Utah CCW (and be allowed to carry in 30+ states).
Old April 27, 2020, 07:34 PM   #13
kenny53

Welcome to the forum and to gun ownership. I agree with statements above about gloves, You don't need them. Your cleaning kit will have a brush that should clean better then the bore snake. For a quick cleaning I will use my bore snakes. The only thing I really question is buying a small safe. All safes end up being to small. Please post a range report when you get a chance.
Old April 29, 2020, 07:03 AM   #14
sparkyv

Uhhhh...ammo?
Old April 30, 2020, 11:36 AM   #15
darkgael

And...

^^^^^ and then more ammo. Buy a box of ammo from as many manufacturers as you can afford. Find the loads that your gun like best.
Pete
Old May 2, 2020, 09:38 AM   #16
Wag

No matter how much ammo you have, you need to buy more!

Congrats. And have fun, whether you want to or not!

--Wag--
Old May 2, 2020, 04:19 PM   #17
Kalinka63

Thanks, ammo men! I have enough to last about a year for target practice.
Old May 2, 2020, 06:00 PM   #18
FITASC

Personally, I wouldn't have a need for the gloves and if I have a cleaning kit, then the snake is superfluous. I would add several extra magazines of the kind legal where you live.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 2, 2020, 06:11 PM   #19
max it

Firearm insurance: all other insurances may pay up if found innocent in a firearms related judgement. But only firearms insurance will provide a lawyer from the moment it all starts. I use US Law Shield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 3, 2020, 04:22 PM   #20
jhansman

Assuming you have a safe of some sort, you might want to find out if your homeowner's policy covers firearms. If not, get a rider that does. The cops are not going to look for your stolen weapon.
Old May 4, 2020, 06:20 AM   #21
Spats McGee
Staff

I'll also second the 'extra mags' suggestion. I typically buy about a half a dozen when I buy a new pistol. The best indoor range around here charges by the hour. I like to spend as much of my time there shooting, rather than loading mags. I can do that at home for free.
Old May 4, 2020, 02:46 PM   #22
FITASC

Quote:
Assuming you have a safe of some sort, you might want to find out if your homeowner's policy covers firearms. If not, get a rider that does. The cops are not going to look for your stolen weapon.
With this being his first gun, most homeowner's insurance will cover a limited amount - typically ~$2500; plus an NRA membership will also give some coverage.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 4, 2020, 09:40 PM   #23
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalinka63
-range bag
-mechanics gloves
-ear protection
-eye protection
-dry caps to practice loading
-gun cleaning kit
-gun bore snake
-a couple of ammo cases
-speed loader
-paper targets
-small gun safe
-range bag - agree. The secret here is to get the biggest one you think you will need....and one that will bear that weight well. Husky tool bags at Home Depot

-mechanics gloves - they are fine, but not sure how important...most folks shoot bare handed

-ear protection - Get muffs, but don’t get in over your head here. Most ear muffs are good enough. Consider adding foam plugs under your muffs. Avoid fancy ear plugs. Most add noth8ng and hurt.

-eye protection - look for glasses that meet Military PRF std. You really shoot have theses. If all else fails Uvex Genesis X2’s do this for about $10. ESS is a major .mil supplier and feel better, IMO.

-dry caps to practice loading - yes, most any dummy rounds will do, or actually I prefer to do with an empty gun. I actually hate dummy rounds as I only want to feel rounds going in the gun, when I’m putting live rounds in.

-gun cleaning kit -Cleaning kit from MidwayUSA
Description Status Price Quantity Total
U.S. Ballistics Gun Oil Bottle with Needle Tip 2 oz
Product #: 895165 Available $6.99 Quantity
 $6.99
Otis Gun Cleaning Brush Double Ended Nylon
Product #: 442544 Available Clearance
$1.87 Quantity
 $1.87
Steel Shield Weapon Shield Gun Oil 4 oz Liquid
Product #: 220438 Available $11.99 Quantity
 $11.99
Hoppe's #9 Bore Cleaning Solvent 2 oz Liquid
Product #: 554942 Available $3.99 Quantity
 $3.99
Pro-Shot Benchrest Quality Pistol Bore Brush 9mm 8 x 32 Thread Bronze
Product #: 738634 Out of Stock, Backorder OK $2.49 Quantity $2.49
MidwayUSA Gun Cleaning Patches 35 to 45 Caliber, 410 Bore, 28, 20 Gauge Square Cotton Package of 100
Product #: 426070 Available $2.99 Quantity $2.99
Pro-Shot Trace Eraser Spear Tip Pistol Cleaning Jag 38, 357 Caliber, 9mm 8 x 32 Thread Brass
Product #: 385274 Available $5.99 Quantity $5.99
Dewey 1-Piece Cleaning Rod 22 to 45 Caliber 9" Brass 8 x 32 Thread
Product #: 616296 Available $6.99 Quantity

$6.99
$43.30

-a couple of ammo cases - LINK
-speed loader - LINK
-paper targets - yes
-small gun safe - good idea
Old May 5, 2020, 02:33 AM   #24
BigBL87

The only thing I'd really add myself of the top of my head would be a pistol case, depending on what kind of packaging the Walther comes in. More and more guns seem to be coming in cardboard boxes nowadays, not exactly the best for transport. Looking around online, though, seems like it comes in a hard case so you shouldn't NEED to buy one. I know alot of guys transport them in the range bag (since many bags have dedicated pockets) but between Illinois's transport laws and my paranoia, I avoid that.

I like to upgrade to weatherproof style cases (Pelican, Plano's All Weather Line, Seahorse, etc.) for all of my guns, but that's more for peace if mind than actual necessity.

Oh, and I'll echo the extra mags suggestion. I like to have 4 per firearm minimum if I can, a few I only have 3 but I don't shoot those that often.

Last edited by BigBL87; May 5, 2020 at 02:40 AM.
Old May 5, 2020, 12:26 PM   #25
Nathan

Quote:
The only thing I'd really add myself of the top of my head would be a pistol case,
Good point...

LINK

Tool bag for range use...LINK
I don’t have tha5 one, but it looks good!