The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 9, 2004, 03:21 PM   #1
eka

Star PD .45 ACP

I just bought a Star PD .45 ACP. I was familier with some of Star's autos, but not this particular one. I would love to hear anyone else's experiences with this little 45. Thanks!
EKA
Old July 9, 2004, 04:49 PM   #2
Shooter 973

Star PD.

I've had one of these nice little guns for a long time now. They were the precurrsor to all the cut down, chopped, tricked out, small lightweight carry guns that you see now. They were years ahead of everybody else. I like mine although I don.t shoot it much any more. It bites the web of my hand everytime I shoot it. I have very large hands. I don't consider it a heavy use gun. It has been reliable and accurate enough for me to be confident in it. It feeds well and has had no problems of any kind. I have a couple of extra mags for mine, but they are hard to find now days. I think that you'll enjoy this little beast.
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Old July 9, 2004, 05:05 PM   #3
Dakotan

FWIW, Jeff Cooper was fond of this particular pistol, and caled it "A gun to be carried much and fired little". No doubt a reference to it's alloy frame being beaten on with hot .45 ACP rounds.
I have an all steel Star BM in 9mm that I literally owe my life to.
The BKM was the alloy framed version of this gun. A good little family!
I think you'll find your PD to be a very enjoyable sidearm.

Take Care! - Dakotan
Old July 9, 2004, 08:31 PM   #4
telewinz

AAAHH...The Star PD, had one 15 years ago and loved it but got bored with it and traded it away. Recently picked-up a LNIB (Interarms) Star PD for $300. I enjoy it as much as my Colt Officer's Model yet the Star only weighs 24 oz.!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg star pd.jpg (48.6 KB, 356 views)
Old July 9, 2004, 10:45 PM   #5
LAK

I had a new one in the late 1970s, and later sold it. Not especially strong, but adequate, a good carry piece. Regret letting it go.
Old July 9, 2004, 11:04 PM   #6
Drakejake

A problematic pistol. They require plastic shock buffers which are expensive and hard to find and don't last very long. They are also difficult to replace on the recoil spring guide rod. Both of mine eject their mags with every round. I replaced the mag latch springs with new ones as strong as possible, but still no luck. The only thing I can do is put a piece of metal over the right side of the mag latch assembly to act as an exterior, auxilliary spring. But if the metal is too thick, you cannot get the mag out. One of my PD's has a very light trigger and is very accurate. Recoil is stiff.

Drakejake
Old July 11, 2004, 07:54 PM   #7
telewinz

The Interarms import had a better quality control record.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg star vs colt.JPG (218.6 KB, 374 views)
Old July 12, 2004, 03:38 PM   #8
RickB

The PD is a cool gun. I've had two, and still have the one with the cracked frame . . .
I didn't shoot mine enough to have to replace the buffer, but I never was able to get the guide rod unit apart, so it's just as well. They are a great carry gun.
Old July 27, 2009, 10:43 PM   #9
Sid Gault

Good Carry Gun + Some

Used as a back up till I started using it as "duty" piece. Shot a lot and felt...and still feels like home. Always looking for new stuff for it.
Old July 27, 2009, 11:06 PM   #10
Chesster

Great little gun but for limited use. An G'smith told me around 1980 that these had about a life expectancy of around 700 rounds give or take from his personal experience.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old July 27, 2009, 11:21 PM   #11
arizona98tj

I picked one up back in the mid-70s when I was working at a gun shop. It has a set of Pachmayr grips on it.

I still have it. It doesn't get much use but I've no intention of getting rid of it either. It sits in the safe along with a few others. I'll eventually get the bug and maybe carry it again. Still have leather and a couple of mags for it so its ready when I am.
Old July 28, 2009, 12:20 AM   #12
Quentin2

Old thread but then it's an old gun. Anyway I still have my early '80s PD too and occasionally take it out to the range. Not a whole lot of rounds through it so it's still in good shape. I did break the firing pin years ago dry firing but the new one's held up now that I use snap caps. The PD is not as durable as a big 1911.
Old July 28, 2009, 05:17 PM   #13
Rex B

bufffers

Fellow named Jimdawg has made up a batch of buffers, selling them at a reasonable price. I bought some, they look good.

1 buffer $5.00 + $4.95 shipping and handling for a total of
$9.95...........$5.00 each + S&H
3 buffers $13.50 +$ 4.95 shipping and handling for a total of
$18.95.........$4.50 each + S&H
10 buffers $40.00 + $ 4.95 shipping and handling for a total of
$44.95.........$4.00 each + S&H

order from [email protected]

No connection, just a satisfied customer
Old July 28, 2009, 05:46 PM   #14
Superhouse 15

I have seen a few in the shop over the years with cracked frames. If you plan to shoot it, use a buffer, sane and sensible loads, and inspect frequently.
Old July 28, 2009, 06:34 PM   #15
Mello2u

It is a five year old zombie thread!!!!

" Frederic Bastiat
Old July 28, 2009, 09:10 PM   #16
Rex B

It's Alive!!

Actually, the slidelock notch in the frame has a vertical cut of about 1/8" for stress relief. It is often mistaken for a crack. I have never known of any failures other than frame channel beating due to continued use with a bad buffer.
Old February 9, 2010, 12:04 AM   #17
Kivaari

Colt vs Star

Methinks the Officer's group is the result of a carbon steel frame?

quality SKS trigger tuning / repair

www.kivaari.com
Old February 9, 2010, 06:53 AM   #18
BlueTrain

I thought the comment that it was a 700 round gun was right on target, so to speak. I never had a PD model but I did have a BKM, purchased new, supposedly one of the last ones that Interarms had in stock. Lovely pistol for what it was but I loved it to death. Eventually things starting coming loose. I should have babied it a little more. One of the curious things about that particular example was that it worked with any lead bullet I ever tried, including 158-grain SWC bullets, yet would not tolerate any hollowpoint.

Over the years Star made many interesting single action pistols, mostly of the same style, yet they all had their shortcomings in that they seemed to break something sooner or later, though not in such a way as to impair functioning. Colts were always the superior gun and eventually made many very similiar models. I once had a Colt Lightweight Officer's ACP, which I thought was a perfect carry pistol, although it was something of a handful to shoot. I've read of complaints about the Officer's ACP that sounded a lot like the comments here about the Star PD but I guess I never fired mine enough to bring out any defects.

I've also read comments about certain other handguns being a "200 round" or something similiar gun.
Buy War Bonds.
Old February 9, 2010, 09:29 AM   #19
red caddy

I've got a PD .45, in the "starvelle" finish, that has been carried so much that the finish is rubbed /rusted off where my belt rubs it thru the IWB holster. (it's my "winter" carry gun here in south Florida) I shoot it just enough to stay proficient, (double taps are ~ an inch @ 7 yards) and feed it 185 Gr. JHP and Unique. It fits my hand better than my Officers model or my "pitbull" shorty, an is a bit lighter than either. (stock grips) The lack of a grip safety caused me some concern initially, with condition one carry, but the safety is stiff and has never given me a problem sliding off, or hanging up, and the "notch" is pretty beefy in the hammer. I trust it.

All in all, a great little gun. Paul
Old February 9, 2010, 09:37 AM   #20
mete

Jeff Cooper 's comments - What Cooper didn't know at the time he wrote the test report was information about the buffer. This was very strange as nothing was mentioned in the manual and the maker never told anyone !!
Fact is that the buffer would come apart in about 500 rounds, after that the frame got pounded badly !! So the answer is to get a batch of buffers and change them out every 500 rounds.If you're thinging of buying a used one , inspect the frame very carefully and don't buy if any cracks are seen !!
Old November 1, 2010, 03:43 PM   #21
BRUNO1911

I'll jump start this tread again

Here is my STAR PD .45 ACP I got from a friend of mine that is no longer with us

It was all factory stock I knocked all the sharp corners off and rounded the rear grip area (PD owners know what I'm talking about-them sharp corner HORN'S) I then shipped it out to CCR http://www.ccrrefinishing.com/ and had it refinished in their in-house BLACK along with some mags.It is near perfect! it rides in an old Milt Sparks OWB holster when we go for our evening walks.

Enjoy!!!

BRUNO1911
Old November 1, 2010, 04:25 PM   #22
Amin Parker

Those are really well loved pistols. Those who have them swear by them
Old November 3, 2010, 09:31 AM   #23
billnourse

I had a Star PD one time. Frame cracked and could not be fixed. Sold it to a place in Texas that buys the broken ones for parts. I found that there were a lot of broken ones.

Bill
Cooper 52 25/06, Cooper 52 30/06, Cooper 52 338/06Cooper 57 .17HMR, Remington VS .22/250 all left handed. Rock River Predator Persuit AR-15, 1952 Marlin 336 in 30/30. 2 Kimber 1911, Colt 1911, S&W .357 Mag, Kahr .40 and .380
Old November 3, 2010, 10:12 AM   #24
Mike Irwin
Staff

Little bit of trivia...

The PD stood for Pete Dickey, who when I worked with him was head of technical services at American Rifleman magazine and simply the most knowledgeable person I've ever met when it comes to firearms.

Unfortunately he passed in January.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 5, 2010, 09:55 PM   #25
oldcspsarge

Forget about the buffers...they are voodoo in a 1911 and even worse in the Star PD. They restrict the full functional range of travel of the slide and thus reduce slide travel = failures to eject and or feed.

The best thing you can do for a Star PD to eliminate the frame cracking issue is
order the replacement recoil spring made to solve the pistol from Wolff Spring Co. ....and get a spare and replace it every 1,000 rounds.

Only Wolff makes the one that works and does so very well !