The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 17, 2012, 03:59 AM   #1
Keepin_Jeepin

Rifling

I have a .38 Rossi and I was looking down some bores today including this one. I made a big trade and received lots of guns . And It seemed like the rifling was a little wore down.

I am not really educated in barrels but would like to know if it is wore out or not. I have yet to shoot it and wont know myself till then but it seems like it has had ALOT of rounds through it.

Not really concerned about it just want to know how to tell if my rifling has been worn down. The action and cylinder is not as tight as I feel it could be. I also do not have much experience with revolvers at all.
Old October 17, 2012, 05:44 AM   #2
10-96

Well, it's kinda hard to determine just how much wear you're seeing, but a lot of revolvers have VERY shallow rifling grooves. It's just not needed to stabilize short fat lil handgun bullets.

The true test is to shoot it once it's been deemed safe to do so. If you're uncertain about the firearm, it never hurts to have a Gunsmith or other competent person check it out. A little piece of mind goes a long way.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old October 17, 2012, 08:39 AM   #3
dahermit

Rifling does not "wear down" in a handgun. The natural history of a handgun is that it will shoot loose, not have the rifling wear down. Some handguns have very shallow rifling to begin with...it effects nothing is of no consequence. Even in a rifle, when the rifling near the throat becomes eroded, the rest of the rifling in the barrel is unaffected.
Old October 17, 2012, 06:26 PM   #4
Keepin_Jeepin

very interesting, thanks for the advice.
Old October 17, 2012, 06:32 PM   #5
2damnold4this

I've seen a few .38s that looked like they had no rifling. It turns out that they were leaded up. Maybe a lot of soft lead bullets have been shot through your revolver and a good cleaning is in order.
Old October 18, 2012, 04:15 AM   #6
Keepin_Jeepin

Could be. Need to get rid of my cast so I can get to cleaning this one among others i just got. Good idea though
Old October 18, 2012, 03:18 PM   #7
jmstr

I also have a .38 Rossi, made in the 80s. I was informed that it was not designed to handle +p loads, and that the barrel was designed around lead bullets; so I use jacketed in the GP100 and lead in the Rossi. Again, an Interarms imported Rossi from the 80s.

The barrel could be leaded up. I don't recall mine looking like the rifling was gone, so I'd lean to leaded-up as the explanation.

sent from tapatalk on Evo3G