The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 1, 2009, 01:51 PM   #1
Smoke

Correct OAL for 185 gr. Match TMJ SWC .45 ACP

I have done all my reloading so far with 230 gr. FMJ RN for .45 ACP rounds in my Sig P220. I read that the 185 gr. SWC was a good target load, so I ordered a box of Speer 185 gr. Match TMJ SWC's. My problem is that the Lyman Manual which I use lists OAL for this load as 1.135" with 3.5 gr. Bullseye powder. I have been adjusting the die to seat the bullet deeper and deeper, but this just looks too short, with the neck of the bullet just going below the top of the case. And this is at 1.220". I am afraid to set the bullet any deeper without asking you all, since reading past posts suggest an OAL for the 185 gr. SWC as 1.240-1.250. Sure would appreciate your suggestions for loading these 185 gr. Match FMJ SWC's for my Sig 220. Is my Lyman 49th ed. wrong as far as OAL of 1.135? Thanks for your help, as always.

Smoke
Old April 1, 2009, 06:30 PM   #2
Shoney

Smoke

WELCOME TO TFL!!!!!!

The COL and AOL provided in manual recipes should not be taken as an absolute, use them as a guidline not goaspel. Most of the weapons today will determine the max length you should load. The length of a load is determined by the magazine, the longest length which will feed out of the mag and chamber without flaw is what I use. However, the 185's are short and can be hard to load long, as the bullet should be seated at least one diameter into the case.

I try a few loads at mid range loadings, that are mag lenth appropriate, to see if they feed and chamber prperly when shot. Then I work up the load.

Good Shooting.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old April 1, 2009, 06:43 PM   #3
91fieldrat

Smoke

Try using Handloads.com, I have used there loads and they have been very consistent, I start slightly below this: Remember if your only punching paper experiment on loads that cycle the weapon and send the bullet down range otherwise your just wasting powder and causing necessary wear on the gun!

JHP 6.7 gr Bullseye 995 fps 1.275" Fed 150 Alliant
Suggested starting load: 6.0 gr

Pressure: 19,400
Old April 25, 2009, 08:42 PM   #4
harry carey

1.180 - 1.200 is best for 185 , in 45 acp. see charles petty for more info.