The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 21, 2020, 08:34 PM   #1
Mr.RevolverGuy

The ultimate defense revolver: S&w 629

The Remington 44 Magnum is a very versatile cartridge, with loadings from mild to wild. I know this is going piss-off many readers but before moving on to your other favorite firearm blogs take a deep breath and continue reading. Keep in mind I am not saying the 44 Magnum is perfect or best suited for a firefight, the best range cartridge or even the best hunting round. But what I am saying is paired with the right handgun or carbine the 44 Magnum is the most versatile cartridge known to man.

Because of this versatility I believe this is the best or “The Ultimate Self Defense Revolver” On the Ransom Rest for Accuracy

What is your favorite self defense revolver?
https://youtu.be/_O2ki1XJN6w
Old November 21, 2020, 08:57 PM   #2
JERRYS.

a 6" mod 629 is a good fighting gun if loaded with light magnums in my opinion.
Old November 21, 2020, 09:31 PM   #3
Mr.RevolverGuy

I prefer and good 3 or 4inch for carry purposes and maneuverability. Though I would not turn away from a 6inch neither LOL.
Old November 21, 2020, 09:41 PM   #4
Nanuk

Hard to argue with that, I like my model 69 for balance better than an N frame. Mine is loaded with 200 grn gold dots over a charge of 296.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old November 21, 2020, 10:02 PM   #5
Mr.RevolverGuy

The S&W 69 is a sexy capable beast this one has been worked over by a gunsmith. The trigger is extremely nice, I only wish it were mine.

https://youtu.be/pZ-gyhp6ECo?t=423
Old November 21, 2020, 10:22 PM   #6
Stophel

I'd love to have a 29 Mountain Gun, but like everything else I want, they don't make it anymore.
Old November 22, 2020, 12:20 AM   #7
rock185

Mr.RG, Enjoyed your video, and I think Elmer Keith would have agreed with you. One winter, I carried a 4" 29 to see if a big N-Frame .44 was practical for me. I decided it was just too big and heavy, and was concerned about what ammo to carry. I can't remember what ammo I decided to carry, but admit I was worried about over penetration. I recall thinking if I carried a .44 Spcl. level load, I'd likely have something approximately as effective as .45 ACP, etc.

BTW, That group at 25 was impressive.
Old November 22, 2020, 03:12 AM   #8
Pathfinder45

I'm always interested in 44 Magnum stuff because it's the one cartridge that most resembles the one I choose, which is the 45 Colt. Both of these calibers are at their best in the hands of a capable reloader. As such, being reloaded in comparable strength guns, they are nearly identical twins. I think, for my purposes, either one is substantially better than a 357 Magnum.
However, within the context of the OP, I believe that a 357 magnum revolver loaded with 38 Special+P ammo would be the better choice. But I don't really know, having never had to defend myself with a gun. I think just having a gun and being ready, willing and able to use it is such a powerful deterrent, that the actual defensive shooting of it would likely prove unnecessary in most cases. Since no one in their right mind wants to be shot, a 22 revolver would be just as good of a deterrent as a 44 Magnum. If it comes down to actually exchanging several shots, I kinda think that a 38 Special is probably not far from ideal.
I'm more interested in a good woods gun. it seems to me that all that defensive stuff tends to draw folks into fantasy and overthinking it. But again, I don't really know....
Old November 22, 2020, 06:59 AM   #9
Mr.RevolverGuy

AAAAhhhhhhh The elusive Mountain Gun it has always eluded me, the one that got away.
Old November 22, 2020, 08:23 AM   #10
jetinteriorguy

Sorry, it’s my 4” Model 57. You were close though. Paired up with my Henry BBS it keeps me covered. (In jest) A nice big heavy bullet traveling around 900-1000 fps does the job. My go to is a 210-220 gr bullet loaded with 8.00-8.40 gr of Green Dot.
Old November 22, 2020, 09:01 AM   #11
stinkeypete

That’s an extraordinary claim there, that .44 magnum is the most versatile cartrige known to man. You must have plenty of facts to back that up. Please share!

Here are some facts that make me doubt your claim is accurate:

1. .22 lr rimfire is the most inexpensive factory cartridge of any, based on internet search and visits to any store that sells ammo. It is widely claimed on the internet that the world record grizzly bear for 1953 was taken with .22 rimfire by Bella Twin. Ammoland.com has an extensive write up. From personal experience, I can testify that .22 LR is far more suitable for shooting squirrels which puts food on the table. From squirrel to grizzly bear, .22 has done it in real life at a significant reduction in cost compared to .44 magnum.

2. Far more people carry .22 rimfire as ammunition for self defense than .44 magnum and .44 special combined, based on my observation over years of thefiringline.com. Popularity is not evidence of scientific fact, but a claim that a position that is widely held around the world is incorrect should have significant evidence to substantiate it.

3. I can find no reference to .44 magnum being selected by any country as a military round. Given the substantial resources allocated to military arms, claiming .44 magnum is superior requires substantial evidence.

4. I am not going to look at the video, as I feel the original post is click bait and will not respond to that.

- .22 lr is a worthy contender for most versatile, as stated above.
- .454 Casul can be loaded just as mild as .44 but can be loaded significantly hotter- thus it’s an example of a cartridge with more range. It has carbine chambered for it just as .44 magnum does. (Mine made me see stars and smell blood for firing full house loads in it due to recoil, but it held together). Bullets fit common sabots for .50 cal muzzle loaders. Casul or Colt are arguably as versatile or more, they are just less popular in availability. .45 Colt has been used in US Military arms in the past.
-.32 cal (.327 Magnum, 32 H&R, 32 Long, etc.) used to be very popular and has a following again after the introduction of .327 Federal Magnum. Henry offers a carbine. From little squirrel to white tail deer, .32 will do it.
-.357 is extremely versatile and we hold that truth to be self evident.

Don’t get me wrong, my .44 Magnum is nicer than yours. When my father gifted me his Bowen customized Blackhawk, I let all my .45 Colt stuff go, and my FA Casull too. It’s covered.

Honestly, having acquired a beautiful factory plain Single Six in .32 H&R... and as I passed 60 I am no longer seeking the handgun hunting challenges for deer hunting.. I prefer that .32. Sometimes they come out of the factory so good they only need minor mods to make em perfect.

As an old man, ain’t nothing more versatile than my .30-06 Mauser action bolt rifle unless it’s my 12 ga. Pump shotgun. (Ithaca model 37.) Both used extensively for military applications.

Let’s go pheasant hunting and see what the .44 man is having for dinner! If you can only have one, hard to beat a 12 ga. Birds to bears, solid choice.

Many people have their favorites. There is enough disagreement in the world for me, I chose to focus on my friends that can hold differing opinions yet still be reasonable and straight forward and don’t try to manipulate me for their own advantage.
Old November 22, 2020, 09:33 AM   #12
pete2

The S&W Model 19 is the best defense revolver. While not as powerful as a .44 Mag, it is light enough to carry in a holster, powerful enough to get the job done and very accurate. I love the .44 but I can't carry it, too big and too heavy.
Old November 22, 2020, 09:52 AM   #13
Mr.RevolverGuy

Pete2

What loads do you carry in your model 19?
Old November 22, 2020, 10:04 AM   #14
pete2

Home cast 170 Keith with healthy charge of H110. 148 HBWC with a light load of 231 for fun.
Old November 22, 2020, 10:24 AM   #15
Mr.RevolverGuy

Sounds like a nice load, thanks for sharing. I love the 148's myself.
Old November 22, 2020, 01:19 PM   #16
JERRYS.

well my uploads failed because I don't have a security token(?) but I found the 4" mountain gun didn't "swing" as good as the 6" gun. transitioning between targets was easier with the 6" gun.
Old November 22, 2020, 02:41 PM   #17
Mr.RevolverGuy

Seriously Jerry, that goes to show the old saying of fit to the hand and what's good for you doesn't mean is good for me comes to light here.

Stop trying to talk me out of a Mountain Gun
Old November 22, 2020, 07:26 PM   #18
Mike_Fontenot

5" 629 Classic (full-underlug) .44mag. Loaded with full-spec 240gr JHP Underwoods. It's my EDC, from pajamas-off until pajamas_on. In a homemade under-the-shirt vertical shoulder rig.
Old November 22, 2020, 08:07 PM   #19
dgludwig

Quote:
Though I would not turn away from a 6inch
What was good enough for Dirty Harry is good enough for me.
Old November 24, 2020, 01:26 PM   #20
T. O'Heir

The 29/629 is too big for normal sized hands. And a .44 Special will do anything the Mag will do except be easy to come by.
The whole thing is a Ford vs Chevy thing anyway. There is no best or "ultimate" anything.
Old November 24, 2020, 08:57 PM   #21
dgludwig

Quote:
The whole thing is a Ford vs Chevy thing anyway. There is no best or "ultimate" anything.
Well, there's still the Jeep last time I checked.
Old November 25, 2020, 06:24 AM   #22
jetinteriorguy

Wow, a 44sp will do anything a 44mag will do? In what universe? I believe you’ve outdone yourself this time Mr. O’Heir.
Old November 25, 2020, 07:48 PM   #23
Stophel

I sometimes carry a Model 27. It fits my large hands quite nicely (with the proper grip). And I don't know, but it's probably heavier than a .44.. being as the holes are smaller. The weight doesn't bother me a bit (I'd be willing to bet that much of the complaints of weight are coming from people wearing modern concealment type holsters that are VERY top heavy. The top wants to lean out, and the bottom wants to DIG in. I wear a normal old fashioned belt holster, and I don't notice it's there).
Old November 25, 2020, 10:07 PM   #24
Mr.RevolverGuy

Stophel

A good belt and holster works miracles -- I agree.

What do you carry your 27 in?
Old November 26, 2020, 10:15 AM   #25
rodfac

Well I'd agree that the .44 Mag or Spl. is a good, all around caliber...versatile in its loadings, but may be more than necessary for CC purposes...I'm thinking over penetration here, primarily. That said, here on the farm, either does well with the hand loads we put up.

As to the gun for a good all around .44, I'd say that the 629 is just too heavy for all day carry, no matter what holster/rig you're dragging around. I've carried mine (a 5" model Smith with the full lug), in a tanker type cross chest rig that does well for hunting, but is limited as to speed of draw, as well as an open top Tom Threepersons, OWB. It's just too heavy for my tastes.

A better choice IMHO is Smith's M69...a 4.25" model on the K/L frame with a 5-shot cylinder. It's light enough (only an oz. more than my M66 Smith), that all day carry is not taxing. But still gives you the option for full house Magnums when justified. I routinely carry with 900-1000 fps .44 Special level loads that do all I need here in northern Kentucky.

HTH's & YMMv, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.