The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old November 27, 2010, 05:31 PM   #1
Grumpytrkr

Value of older firearms

I need some help/advice. My father-in-law wants me to start helping him sell some of his firearms. And, I don't know where to start. For example, he has a Nambu Pistol, production date is 1943, with a matching magazine and a holster. Where can I find out the value of this stuff? Gun Brokers has listings of Nambu pistols, but none with an original holster. His Hi-power, 1953 production date has a holster with the same serial number that is on the weapon. Again, Gun Brokers has no listing with matching number holster. M-1 Carbines, an Garrand that is still in the box, from CMP. What I think are 03 Springfield rifles with Eddystone Arsenal marked on the barrel. They are still in the box, from again, what I think is from CMP.

So, what book(s) can I buy? I'm open for questions, comments, or rude remarks. Ya, rude remarks are OK. I got broad shoulders, they go with my big belly, a matched set!

Thanks,
Old November 27, 2010, 05:43 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Tough calls in part because we will need pictures both to properly identify the guns and also to judge condition, which is very important in estimating values of older guns.

One book I recommend is the Blue Book of Gun Values, available here:

https://store.bluebookinc.com/home/default.aspx

An on line source is:

http://www.usedprice.com/items/guns-and-scopes

We will help with identification when needed.

FWIW, rifles marked "Eddystone" are U.S. Model 1917 rifles, not Model 1903's.

Original boxes can add up to 100% to the value of the gun, but 10-15% is more usual. Original military holsters can themselves can bring hundreds of dollars; civilian or police holsters add little.

Jim

Jim
Old November 27, 2010, 05:57 PM   #3
Grumpytrkr

Jim,

Thanks for the info. I will order a book. I didn't think posting the pictures that I currently have would be a good idea. They all have serial numbers on them. For insurance reasons.......I can take new pictures and post.

I didn't think that anybody would be able to give me a value without seeing them.

And, I didn't know about the Springfield Rifles. Why were they sent to Eddystone? Was it to beef them up for hotter rounds? I don't know a lot about military weapons, other then the ones that I carried. I thought all bolt action Springfields in 30-06 were called '03 Springfields. Sorry......

Thanks again for all the info. Now I got some research to do.
Old November 27, 2010, 07:42 PM   #4
Hawg

Quote:
And, I didn't know about the Springfield Rifles. Why were they sent to Eddystone? Was it to beef them up for hotter rounds? I don't know a lot about military weapons, other then the ones that I carried. I thought all bolt action Springfields in 30-06 were called '03 Springfields.
They weren't sent to Eddystone. Eddystone made them and the 1917 was an Enfield not a Springfield.

After rereading your post I think you may be under the impression that all Springfield rifles were made by Springfield armory. Not so. There were a number of contractors that made them. Same with the 1917 Enfield.
Old November 27, 2010, 08:05 PM   #5
wogpotter

A bit of additional information on your bolt guns.
The Pattern 14 & Pattern 17, more commonly known as P14 or P17 rifles are what is known as "American Enfields" & are a copy of a Mauser action. This should not be confused with either '03 or 03a3 Springfields which are a different copy of a Mauser action. These are again different from Lee-Enfields, a totally different design entirely.
Sorry if this sounds confusing as I'm sure it is to someone new to the interest. Basically you need to sort out the '03/'03a3 (Both Springfield rifles, just differing versions of them), P-14 (in .303 British) & P-17 (in 30-06) "American Enfields" (again different versions of essentially the same thing, but taking different ammunition), & Lee-Enfields to keep your pricing correct & for research.

From what you've posted you do not have any of the lees & I mention the breed just for purposes of elimination.

Hope this helps clarify rather than confuse.
Old November 27, 2010, 10:49 PM   #6
Grumpytrkr

I was doing some reading on Eddystone. I can see now that I'm going to have to get the guns out of the safe, and write down, or take pictures of all the proof markings, and try to match them up with what reference material that I have come up with so far.

Dad told me that I could keep whatever guns I wanted. However, I feel that someone who collects these types of firearms would have better use of them then someone like me, who knows very little about them.

So, the book is on order, and I need to start taking pictures.

Thanks to everyone for their help.
Old November 27, 2010, 10:58 PM   #7
Winchester_73

Quote:
Not so. There were a number of contractors that made them. Same with the 1917 Enfield.
Only 2 original Springfield makers: SA - Springfield Armory and RIA - Rock Island Arsenal. Of the 2, RIA is more rare.

As far as the 1917 rifle contractors there were 3: Remington, Eddystone and Winchester. This is because after we filled a contract for the Brits for the 1914 Enfield in 303 British, we realized that we needed more Springfield rifles due to WWI. Originally the plan was to re tool all 3 factories to make Springfield 03s. Instead, someone realized that the 1914 Enfield action was strong enough for the 30-06 and the American 30 cal rifle M1917 aka Enfield P-17 aka American Enfield was born. Eddystone's factory was a subsidiary of Remington and made the most 1917 rifles. Winchester 1917s are the most sought after of the group.

Quote:
And, I don't know where to start. For example, he has a Nambu Pistol, production date is 1943, with a matching magazine and a holster. Where can I find out the value of this stuff? Gun Brokers has listings of Nambu pistols, but none with an original holster.
Nambus are pretty tricky. A 1943 Nambu should be a T14 second variation with the enlarged trigger guard. Its good that the magazine matches but its important that all other parts match. As far as a matching holster, I was not aware that the holsters had the serial number. It should have a second mag in the holster, it would be great if that matched too.
Old November 28, 2010, 12:09 PM   #8
Grumpytrkr

Winchester,

The Hi-power has the serial number on the holster. The Nambu does have two magazines, one with the last three or 4 of the serial number. And you are correct about the trigger guard on the Nambu.

I found a web site that if printed, would of been 14 pages long about the Eddystone rifles. It was very detailed, even going in to the fact that Baldwin Locomotive owned the place.

I've just got a lot of research to do.

Thanks for the info.
Old December 1, 2010, 02:49 AM   #9
gyvel

Quote:
Only 2 original Springfield makers: SA - Springfield Armory and RIA - Rock Island Arsenal. Of the 2, RIA is more rare
Actually, that is only true of those Springfields manufactured prior to and during WW I. As WW II loomed on the horizon, Remington Arms was called upon by the U.S. government to manufacture the Springfield 1903, then later, the simplified 1903A3, which was also manufactured by Smith-Corona co.