The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 17, 2013, 08:13 PM   #1
ironox

Shooting high with my 73

I'm new to CAS and find that I'm consistently shooting high with my 73. I know what the issue is, I can't see the front bead when properly nested in the rear sight. Some suggest that I widen the notch in the rear sight, which should allow for a better sight picture. Others suggest that I remove the rear sight all together. At this point I'm hesitant to take a Dremel tool to the sight. That said, I know nothing compares to more practice, which I intend to do. Anyone else experience the same issue? TIA!
Old October 17, 2013, 09:26 PM   #2
Rigmarol

I also shoot CAS but my rifle is a Marlin 98. Mine has a nice brass bead on the front sight and I can pick it up very quickly!!! I recommend the brass bead.
Old October 18, 2013, 04:11 AM   #3
Hawg

Don't use a Dremel, use a jewelers file.
Old October 18, 2013, 02:12 PM   #4
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
Others suggest that I remove the rear sight all together.
No don't do that. Here's two different ways to help resolve your issue:

1.-Remove the Rear sights elevator ramp altogether. So your rifles Rear sight blade is resting flat on top of the rifles barrel.
2.-Replace the original front sight with a taller one having a colored bead.
Two easy quick fix's. Without permanently altering your rifles original equipment by (grinding or filing)

If you reload. You can steer your bullets impact spot some by simply changing its powder charge higher or lower to some degree also. Good luck.
Old October 18, 2013, 08:14 PM   #5
ironox

yes

I like your ideas Sure Shot. I'll give them a try. Where may I pick up a new front sight? Thanks!

A brass front bead sounds promising also.
Old October 18, 2013, 09:47 PM   #6
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Well here's how I would tackle the job. If I were unsure of my skills or not having the correct tools. I'd take it to a well known local gunsmith and let him accommodate my needs. Or for a DIY fix. I'd try and talk to someone at Brownell's and see what is available for F-sights to fit this rifle out of their catalog. {perhaps their in house pro has heard of this problem prior?} Either way I suspect it won't cost a bundle to get that F-sight changed out. A white or red bead or as commented by Rigmarol previously a yellow brass bead would be my preference too. But you decide what color bead you prefer. Good luck with your project Sir._
Old October 19, 2013, 07:33 AM   #7
Hawg

I have a silver bead on my 94 and prefer it over brass.
Old October 19, 2013, 06:11 PM   #8
ironox

thanks to all

Thanks Hawg. I ordered today a front sight at 0.45 inches high. It cost little and is worth giving it a try. It comes with a 0.128 inch diameter brass bead. I understand that the stock f-sight is 0.37 inches high. I'm hoping that the new one should help. The added hardware and more practice should solve my problem . I'll post my results as soon as I have them.