The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 24, 2021, 07:20 PM   #1
jmstr

I like Ruger P-series as much as the next guy, but- come on!

Hello,

This is not a 'bash on Ruger' pistol thread, or a 'Ruger is the BEST' pistol thread.

It is a 'prices are OUTRAGEOUS' pistol thread.

I just saw a Ruger P345 handgun for sale for $1995.00.

They were selling online 3 years ago for around $3-400.

WOW!!!!

I mean- when a 50 round box of range/plinking .45acp ammo is going for $120 instead of a realistic $25-30 [realistically high, that is- mine were bought around $20/box], this is not too surprising.

But, even I have to say it, $2K for a P345?

I wouldn't pay that for a P220 [even the higher end ones], and Sig has a higher price point.

Now, full disclosure: I own a Ruger P97 and LIKE IT. So much I bought a parts kit to have a full set of spares for any future issues.

I have a few .45acps that are 'higher end' [Glock (but some say that is a sidestep of my Ruger), Sig P220, 1911s of various quality levels], but I have never spent more than $930 on a handgun, out the door.

I never bought a Ruger P345, as the grip didn't feel as 'good' in my hand as the P97, but I would have liked a rail for the P97.

But, $2K for a $400 handgun is just, I mean, WOW!!!!

Maybe I should sell off some things I don't use often?

[but then I wouldn't have them in the future, ever- and in CA I might not find them again]
Old June 24, 2021, 07:22 PM   #2
TunnelRat

Listed for and sells for aren’t always the same. If someone buys it for that I have little sympathy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 24, 2021, 08:54 PM   #3
dogtown tom

Quote:
jmstr But, $2K for a $400 handgun is just, I mean, WOW!!!!
$2K for John Dillinger's Ruger? Cheap.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old June 25, 2021, 05:38 AM   #4
jetinteriorguy

There’s a sucker born every minute. (P.T. Barnum)
Old June 25, 2021, 07:16 AM   #5
RUT

Fools and their money......
Old June 25, 2021, 07:24 AM   #6
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmstr View Post
Hello,

This is not a 'bash on Ruger' pistol thread, or a 'Ruger is the BEST' pistol thread.

It is a 'prices are OUTRAGEOUS' pistol thread.

I just saw a Ruger P345 handgun for sale for $1995.00.

They were selling online 3 years ago for around $3-400.

Gunborker? Folks sometimes ask crazy prices there, in hopes of getting lucky. Either that or "Honey, I tried to sell it,but it didn't sell so I guess I have to keep it."
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old June 25, 2021, 09:36 AM   #7
Forte S+W

Everything has been selling for absurd prices since the pandemic, especially now that stupid people think that they can cash in, so you'll often see otherwise inexpensive firearms priced extremely high by someone obtuse enough to believe that pandemic gun-buying is still going on and that they can just charge whatever they want for guns that they previously couldn't sell at all for anything near what they paid for it.

I've seen folks trying to sell used Hi-Points for $350, Taurus Revolvers for $700, S&W Sigmas for $800, and Rugers for upwards of $1000, priced alongside examples of the same guns in new condition priced far more reasonably.
Old June 25, 2021, 09:52 AM   #8
wild cat mccane

To clarify to my older parents, this is normal internet scam stuff

Movies, books, Star Wars action figures, toasters--all have a model listed at 10xs everyone's price on Amazon and Ebay, right?

It's typically not a "sucker born everyday," it's usually the seller takes the money and disappears. If it was on gunbroker, note, gunbroker doesn't protect the seller in a fraud.
Old June 26, 2021, 02:40 AM   #9
jmstr

Hi All,

This was actually listed on another forum, out here in CA. This forum is one that favors F2F sales at local FFL holders.

Since it is CA, there is NO WAY it can be shipped to another FFL in this state, as it isn't on our gun roster.

So, the $2000 asking price is actually asking to meet someone for the F2F sale, at a LGS.

If it were an online seller that can ship to you or your FFL, I'd say 'scam'.

As it is, I say it is just predatory pricing.

But, no one has to BUY the thing, so- if they do, it is on them.
Old June 26, 2021, 09:09 AM   #10
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
To clarify to my older parents, this is normal internet scam stuff

Movies, books, Star Wars action figures, toasters--all have a model listed at 10xs everyone's price on Amazon and Ebay, right?

It's typically not a "sucker born everyday," it's usually the seller takes the money and disappears. If it was on gunbroker, note, gunbroker doesn't protect the seller in a fraud.
When I see something like that on Amazon, I wonder if it's a money laundering scheme.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old June 27, 2021, 07:00 PM   #11
Victor252

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
When I see something like that on Amazon, I wonder if it's a money laundering scheme.
Yes. It is common now to list things at extremely high prices to acquire "clean money" that can go into your bank account rather than wads cash that would raise eyebrows. The only person who would buy that gun would the person trying to pay for some other illicit good or service. When gunbroker/amazon/ebay clears the money, the buyer willl receive that black market good/service and the seller has clean cash received for selling "collectibles."
Old June 30, 2021, 09:14 AM   #12
Forte S+W

I was just on a website browsing used gun sales and there were quite a few listings for Ruger P-Series pistols priced between $450-700. Still pretty high for a P-Series, but on par with the inflation of handgun prices in general.
Old July 2, 2021, 09:41 AM   #13
veprdude

Older Rugers are starting to get into that "collectible" category. Not $2000 collectible but $400 range seems reasonable for a nice one. Not too long ago, you couldn't give them away.
Old July 2, 2021, 11:53 PM   #14
JDBerg

Deleted
Old July 2, 2021, 11:56 PM   #15
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmstr:
This was actually listed on another forum, out here in CA. This forum is one that favors F2F sales at local FFL holders.
Since it is CA, there is NO WAY it can be shipped to another FFL in this state, as it isn't on our gun roster. So, the $2000 asking price is actually asking to meet someone for the F2F sale, at a LGS. If it were an online seller that can ship to you or your FFL, I'd say 'scam'. As it is, I say it is just predatory pricing. But, no one has to BUY the thing, so- if they do, it is on them.
This is an extreme case of CA F2F market stupidity. Back when I lived there, I never saw so many examples of outrageous F2F deals. When I lived out there, I always thought that I was better off doing upgrades to my existing guns than to buy CA DOJ roster guns, or do an F2F deal.

I could have bought a NIB Dan Wesson PM7 for $1,695.00 since the gun is CA DOJ rostered. That DW is a superior gun compared to that Ruger P345, but it just wasn’t in my budget at the time when I lived out there.
Old July 4, 2021, 04:06 PM   #16
TruthTellers

While 2 grand is an inflated asking price, what the P series are selling for is well above what has been normal. The P85/89's top out at about $400, but the P90's are going for 500 or more and to me that is ridiculous, but people are willing to pay that price I guess and it's their money.

At $500 tho, if I wanted a DA/SA .45, I'd just get a Beretta Px4. Even the 85/89 I'm having trouble accepting paying 400 for. I know it's a Ruger, but they're out of production and will never come back, but the Taurus PT92... Taurus is always going to be making those and I believe the DA pull for them is known to be good while the P series are known to have pretty poor DA triggers.
Old July 16, 2021, 06:46 PM   #17
swissfist

IMO, Ruger P series pistols are underrated and under valued. Not flashy Euro-style? So what, they are the AK of personal side arms. I'll take one into battle any day.
Old July 16, 2021, 07:18 PM   #18
jmstr

Swissfist, I agree.

About 10 years ago I did a 'shootout', and, despite not having shot the P97 in 6 years [and having shot the HK, Sig, SA1911, M&P.45, etc in the previous 6 months], the P97 gave me the smallest groups at the same distance [7yds].

A then $300 pistol was performing better [for ME- not universal, I know] than $900 pistols.

Underappreciated- for sure.

I loved Ayoub's write up on the P97 way back in the day. [Did I spell the name right?]
Old July 16, 2021, 10:54 PM   #19
ThomasT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
There’s a sucker born every minute. (P.T. Barnum)
Sorry but wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There%...n_every_minute
Old July 17, 2021, 05:18 AM   #20
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasT View Post
Ah, interesting.