The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 2, 2017, 08:45 PM   #1
chasep255

Should I duracoat my 1917 enfield?

Two weeks ago I bought a 1917 enfield rifle. It is in good shape considering it is 100 years old but I feel like the finish on the metal is a little worn. A few years ago I bought a mosin nagant which I duracoated and it came out very nice. I did not have much issue doing this since at the time that rifle cost $90. However, I am not sure if I should duracoat my 1917. I kind of feel like I would be destroying the historical value of it. Any opinions on this? I would also be open to getting it parkerized or blued.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170121_143928.jpg (195.7 KB, 153 views)
Old February 2, 2017, 09:36 PM   #2
Bill DeShivs

Not no, but hell no!
Leave the gun alone.
Old February 2, 2017, 09:42 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I kind of feel like I would be destroying the historical value of it. Any opinions on this? I would also be open to getting it parkerized or blued.
Its your rifle, and your money, but ANY refinish destroys the collector value.

Judging from that single picture, it appears complete, original and in pretty good condition. You even have the bayonet!

IF you do ANYTHING to that rifle, be prepared for people to line up and tell you exactly what kind of idiot you are.

Usually I'm one of the first folks fed up with people telling me how I "ruined valuable milsurps" by sporterizing Mausers, Springfields, Arisakas, etc. back in the day (40+ years ago). They fail to realize that back then, those rifles were cheap, and nearly as common as dirt, in their GI configuration.

Today, that is NOT the case. Rifles in the issue configuration, and in as good condition as the one you have are RARE, and getting rarer.

Refinishing that rifle destroys its visual history. Sure, its always going to be a 1917 Enfield, but the appearance is what gives it the most value. Refinishing it will reduce its market value by half, maybe 3/4 or maybe even more.

Some people would even consider refinishing it an insult to the rifle, and its history. IF that rifle had been altered already, or previously refinished, the damage would be done, but that's not the case here.

In short, a good way to turn an $800 collector piece into a (maybe) $300 "bubba" job (even if done well) is to refinish it.

Even a refinish from a certified restoration service lowers the collector value of the gun, while adding to its cost to you. I wouldn't do it, and I won't recommend it, but its your gun, and your choice.

There are people out there who would be overjoyed to get their hands on it, just the way it is, and who wouldn't give it a second look, if it was refinished, or altered in any way.

If you're interested, I'll trade you a ratty looking Kar 98k you can refinish to your hearts content.
Old February 2, 2017, 10:07 PM   #4
chasep255

Thanks for the replies. I think I will keep it the way it is then.
Old February 2, 2017, 10:25 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Since it will remain as is (which I concur), might I suggest rubbing it down with RIG Gun Grease or better yet, Renaissance Wax? Apply Renaissance Wax to both the wood and the metal. It may also be applied to leather slings.
Old February 2, 2017, 11:25 PM   #6
NateKirk

Please don't.

― --Thomas Jefferson
Old February 3, 2017, 06:09 AM   #7
peggysue

Renaissance Wax is awesome. I have been using it for decades.
Old February 4, 2017, 11:11 AM   #8
kraigwy

Its your rifle, but you asked.

No way in hell. Best thing you could do is keep it wiped down with "RIG". Works great with my rifles, even one I had hunting the beaches on Afognak in the salt water spray.

If it was me, and what I did with my M1917, is put a leather 1917 style sling on it, and shoot it in the CMP Military Match.

Unlike the Springfield's you cant adjust for windage, but you can get the sight drifted so its centered and at 200 yards the wind doesn't get you that much.

They have (including mine) have been known as exceptionally accurate rifles and deserved to be shot. Shooting 'em wont hurt them, and wont detract from the collector's value.

Might as well enjoy them.

I like the bayonet also. Same as with the rifle, keep it wiped down with "RIG"

Mine:
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 7, 2017, 08:35 PM   #9
Dragonflydf

putting duracoat on a 1917 ? how about we cover you in honey and tie you to a fire ant mound ?

duracoat is for plastic and aluminum guns, not wood and steel classics
Old February 7, 2017, 08:55 PM   #10
jersurf101

Glad you decided not to duracoat the rifle. It is a good looking Enfield in the picture. Nice score!

Tags
duracoat 1917 enfield