The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 13, 2008, 06:32 PM   #1
ipscchef

Ruger Police Service 6 Heavy Loads

I am looking for feedback to see how crazy I may be.
I recently aquired a Ruger Police Service Six in .38sp. It shows almost no signs of wear except some holster wearing on the blueing. I currently have a couple of Blackhawks in 45 Colt and an old three screw in .41 mag that I load quite hot with data from the Hodgdens manual. I got to thinking that the same overbuilt strength of all of the Ruger revolvers- excepting the new Vaquero- might allow me to build some hot loads for the Service Six. I compared it to my buddies Security Six with calipers and the dimensions are the same. I am wondering if with the exception of the fact that the cylinders are bored just deep enough to accept .38 Special it is the same gun. Anyhoo I have been shooting a load consisting of 6.5 grains of Universal Clays under a Hornady 158gr. swhp for 1150fps. It shoots great! Very accurate, low recoil and no visible signs of pressure after about 150 rounds.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old December 13, 2008, 07:14 PM   #2
novaDAK

Unlike S&W where there was a difference in heat treatment between .38 and .357 K-frames, I believe Ruger simply made the .38 revolvers from .357 parts and just bored the chambers for .38 instead of .357mag. I heard they did this to fufill certain police department requirements for .38-only guns.
Old December 13, 2008, 07:30 PM   #3
joneb

It would be nice to know For Sure if the Ruger .38 spl cylinder is capable of talking the same pressures as their .357 mag cylinders.
Old December 13, 2008, 07:38 PM   #4
novaDAK

I wouldn't load up to .357mag pressures anyhow. I don't know how .38 cases would hold up to that.
Old December 13, 2008, 08:40 PM   #5
Stumper

Other than fixed sights the Service Six is the same as the Security Six. Every source I have ever spoken with or read said that the .38 Specials, .357 magnums and .38-200 (Special run for the Government of India) were the same except for chamber dimensions. With that said I don't like .357 magnum loads in .38 special cases because they could wind up in the wrong gun....but heavy .38spl loads wouldn't strain a Service Six much.

"If only God has magic, how does Santa get down the chimney?" Natalie Peters age 4
Old July 22, 2010, 05:30 PM   #6
apares

I have a .38 CAL Police Service-Six and used .38 Special (+P) and had no problems. This gun it's very similar to a .357. The most beatifull thing is that I recently buy it for only $200 from a Security Guard. I think he does'nt know whet he had on hands. . . Well god for me. . .