The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 29, 2010, 12:23 AM   #1
David_S

Instructions for Lee 45ACP 3 die set missing

I recently purchased a Lee 3 die carbide set for 45ACP but on returning home I found it came without the instruction sheet normally included with their dies and have been unable to find it on Lee's website. I have not loaded pistol ammunition before so would appreciate a copy if only to help set up the dies.

I tried emailing Lee using the address on their website but the email was returned undelivered.

If anyone has a copy which they are prepared to scan and e-mail to me please PM me. Alternatively if anyone knows Lee's contact e-mail address please post it.

Thanks
David
Old June 29, 2010, 12:53 AM   #2
BarbreJ

This email worked for me when I contacted them. I sent it late in the evening, and recieved an email the next morning with contact info.
Old June 29, 2010, 01:08 AM   #3
David_S

Thanks BarbreJ. That's what I tried. Maybe my "antivirus spamkiller" didn't like it. Will try it again later. David
Old June 29, 2010, 05:39 AM   #4
alloy

Lee will mail you an instruction paper if you call. They do have simple instruction videos on the LEE site also.
Old June 29, 2010, 07:17 AM   #5
steve4102

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/faq/index.cgi

Old June 29, 2010, 02:39 PM   #6
David_S

Thanks everyone. I have found most of the data on the Lee website but I was wanting the instruction leaflet as it, I assume, brings it all together in one place.

I tried resending the e-mail to [email protected] with my McAfee firewall and anti-virus software shut down and it seemed to go through. Such are the vagaries of modern technology especially computers.

David
Old June 30, 2010, 06:55 AM   #7
Don P

If you own any other Lee dies the directions will be the same. Someone you know re-loading that uses Lee dies could run a copy off for you.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old July 17, 2010, 06:59 PM   #8
David_S

Thanks all

Thanks all for your advice and thanks to the forum member who PM'd me a scanned copy.

Heard nothing from Lee so presumed my e-mails had gone astray. Then yesterday to my surprise I received by post a Lee Catalogue and the original instruction sheet. Thanks Lee

David
Old July 18, 2010, 02:04 AM   #9
noylj

Die set instructions

The die instructions are the same for all dies, except for the Lee Powder-Through-Expander die and, if you buy one, the Lee Factory Crimp Die.
Assuming standard single-stage press:
1) Sizing die: Carbide die-- Place shellholder on ram. Raise ram to top. Screw in resizing die until it just touches the shellholder. Lower ram, insert empty case, raise ram, resize case, verify primer was punched out (I have never had this not set correctly from the factory), tighten the lock ring. Personally, I always back the die out about 1/16 of a turn so there is a few mil gap between the shellholder and the die.
2) Powder-through Expander (you can watch the Lee video). The normal instruction is to screw in the die until it contacts the shellholder and back it off about 3/4 of a turn. I then insert a case and slowly raise the ram. You will know right away if you are over expanding as the ram will get hard to raise and you can hear the brass screaming in pain. Back out the die and see if it is over expanded. If so, resize it. In most cases you will have all the expansion you want. Check that a bullet can be placed on the case and it will more or less stay in position. A very slight bell is needed for jacketed bullets and a bit more is needed for lead. If the flare is acceptable, place the case back in the die and then tighten the lock ring. If you are using the Lee Pro Auto-Disk, unscrew the powder funnel and attach the powder measure to the die. Place a sized case in the shellholder and verify that the flair is still acceptable.
3) Bullet seating die: Screw the seating stem up as high as it will go. Place belled case in shellholder and raise the ram. Screw the die in until it you feel the crimp section make contact with the case. Back off the die about 1-2 turns. Place a bullet on the case and run it into the die. Screw down the seating stem until you contact the bullet. Lower the case, screw the seating stem down about two turns, raise the case and seat the bullet. Determine the Cartridge overall length and compare it to the manual. You will probably need to screw the seating stem down about 3 or 4 more turns to get the COL right. When the COL is where you want it, ask yourself if you want to crimp simultaneously with the bullet being seated, then you need to raise the seating stem back up 3-4 turns. Now you will be setting the crimp. Raise the ram with the properly seated bullet and case in the shellholder. Screw down the body of die until you feel the crimp shoulder contact the case. Now, making very small adjustments, screw the die body down to slightly crimp the case, remove the die, inspect to see if the belling is completely removed. As this time, is is really nice to have your barrel or cylinder available as that is you true determinant if the case will chamber freely. For a taper crimp, you just need to feel the bullet/case interface and be sure that it is relatively smooth and that the case mouth is still available for headspacing. Normally, you just taper crimp enough to ensure that the case will feed and chamber and maybe turn the die body down another 1/16 turn. When you are happy that the dummy cartridge is correct, raise the dummy back into the die, tighten the lock ring, turn the seating stem down until it contacts the properly seated bullet, and tighten the lock ring on it. For roll crimp, you need to have a cannelure (if a jacketed bullet) or you will crimp into the crimp groove (or just over the shoulder) of a cast lead bullet. COL is then determined by where the crimp groove is on the bullet. You will adjust the die (after the bullet is properly seated) until you see the case mouth just starting to roll into the crimp groove. I generally seat the bullet so the case mouth is flush with the top of the crimp groove. Again, when the crimp is acceptable and the dummy chamber freely, place the dummy back in the shellholder, raise the ram, tighten the lock ring, turn the seating stem back down and lock its lock ring.
Now you are ready to go. Save the dummy with information on the bullet and use it to quickly set-up the dies next time. Go through the routine once and it all becomes clear.
Be sure that your brass is chamfered inside and out and you are good to go.
This is, I think, more detailed than the Lee instruction.
Old July 18, 2010, 03:41 AM   #10
David_S

Thanks for that comprehensive reply Noylj. We were not sure about the powder-through expander but have got it sussed now.

David