The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 12, 2014, 10:21 AM   #1
joclark33

40 SW cast lead with Clays?

Anyone know if there is any good load data for 40 SW cast lead, especially with clays? I've looked a little bit and haven't found a whole lot. Thanks
Old August 12, 2014, 03:40 PM   #2
WESHOOT2

If there's not a lot of data there's often good reason.

Use jacketed data; drop start charge by 10%.
Old August 12, 2014, 04:15 PM   #3
Shotgun Slim

I can't recall seeing data for that in any loading manuals. Doesn't mean there cannot be any but I did the common thing which is as weshoot2 describes. I have worked up some very pleasant LIGHT loads for paper punching or steel plate shooting with the clays. It is pretty clean at low velocities,recoil is not sharp and accuracy can be very good,although not in every load.I have not loaded any heavier bullet than 175 swc and do not plan to try with 200 or 220.I would recommend that you try it but that you stay with light loads only,as clays has a bad reputation for trouble in stout .40 loads.Safe shooting
Old August 12, 2014, 05:39 PM   #4
Gdawgs

I have shot thousands of lead bullets with Clays in my 40. They are very soft shooting and I've never had a failure with my loads in my XD40.

For the 40, the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook has a load listed for a 175 gr cast bullet. The charge for Clays powder ranges from 3.3 - 4.0 grains.(velocities range from 641 - 992 in the book. I've never clocked them).

I used the Missouri bullet IDP #2 bullet (170 gr) using 3.6 grains of Clays. I later bought some IDP#9s (155 gr) and used 3.8 gr of Clays.

Tags
40sw , cast , clays