The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 1, 2014, 07:35 PM   #51
zxcvbob

Quote:
Single stage presses are cheap and easier to setup and use correctly.
And still useful even if you move up to a progressive press.
Old August 3, 2014, 12:11 AM   #52
surveyor

Depends..
For value a lee classic cast turret..
For pistol dies..lee
For rifle dies redding or rcbs
For a beam scale..ohaus 505
For small trimming..rcbs trim pro
For large amount ..cts
For large amount of case prep..rcbs
For powder measure stick powder..
Manual..lyman 55
Digital..rcbs chargemaster
For flake pistol powder.lee pro autodisc
For decap dies..lee
Rifle charge dies..lee

You are going to get a diffrent answer from everyone, depending on what they like, and what and how much they load in a session..

This is flexible enough to meet my needs for rifle, pistol, for now, and will always be useful to me even if I get another press.

Last edited by surveyor; August 3, 2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old August 4, 2014, 05:08 PM   #53
Shootest

What ever equipment you have and use is the best in your opinion. Opinions are like butt holes, everybody has one, no one wants to hear yours.
Old August 4, 2014, 05:41 PM   #54
Bart B.

For bottleneck cases, I think Forster's full length sizing dies with an extra $10 to have their neck honed out a bit produce the most accurate ammo. No other commercial die sizes cases with their necks perfectly centered on their shoulders which are perfectly centered on the case body. That one-piece die has all those areas sizing down fired cases aligned to a single axis.

There are custom dies that'll equal them.
Old August 4, 2014, 06:18 PM   #55
fshfindr

Lee Classic Turret
Old August 4, 2014, 06:23 PM   #56
Balor

Hornady L-N-L is the only way to go when reloading. RNGR1
Old August 4, 2014, 08:49 PM   #57
billcarey

Cast iron for sure...RCBS Rockchucker. I prime on the press and like the setup better than others. Lyman Orange Crusher is cast iron also shares the same primer arm and feed tubes. If you don't mind a plastic primer gizmo the Lee is another option in cast iron.

Same for dies...RCBS or Lyman. Lymans come with two seaters so you have the right one for round or flat head bullets. As in most situations, you really do get what you pay for in reloading gear.

bc
Old August 4, 2014, 11:37 PM   #58
Lost Sheep

Thanks for asking our advice. Welcome to reloading.

Kimio,

What gear to choose depends on what its purposes will be. What are yours?

Aside from eye protection and manuals, you only need three things (physically) to load good ammo. (Of course, you would be severely limited in some ways, but capable of producing one round at a time, but safely.)

Press because fingers are not strong enough to form metal
Dies because fingers are not accurate enough to form metal to SAAMI specs
Scale (or calibrated dippers) because eyeballs are not accurate enough to measure out gunpowder.

A set of calipers would be a good idea, too, just to verify dimensions which at times is VITAL. All other times an excellent idea.

Everything else can be done without, substituted for or improvised until you can afford to buy good, quality gear.

But it is more efficient and cost effective to get equipment that fits your needs now and for the near/foreseeable future.

We could target our advice better if you shared some information about yourself: (What I use has no relevance to you if our needs are not similar.)

Single stage is very easy to afford and to load with, but I suspect higher-volume shooters will tire of loading at the pace single stage loading supports. Batch processing is just not capable of more than 50-75 rounds per hour for most folks

Progressive presses load in continuous mode. (Each case goes into the press empty and does not come out until it has been transformed into a finished cartridge, ready to shoot.) They require a LOT more concentration, as multiple operations are performed simultaneously, but can produce up to several hundred per hour (depending on the press and accessories). They are expensive, though, and complex in operation, design and maintenance. The complexity is manageable, so don't be put off. Just be prepared.

Turret presses split the speed, complexity and price difference between single stage and progressive. A turret press can operate equally handily in batch mode or continuous mode and can produce from 50 to 250 rounds per hour. Auto-indexing is a nice feature, but most turret presses do not have that capability. Only Lee offers that.

What calibers/chamberings will you be reloading?

What quantities will you be reloading for those calibers? (Per month and per session)

How much time will you be willing to devote to those quantities?

How large of production runs before swapping calibers?

What is your budget for the initial purchase? (Not components, just the equipment)

Will you want to get your entire setup at once or, after an initial setup that does all you need, add accessories and conveniences as your experience suggests and finances permit?

Will you be putting your gear away after each session or leave it set up permanently?

How much space will you devote permanently to a loading area, if any?

Do you want it to be portable?

What are your shooting goals? Cheap ammo? Ultimate long-range accuracy? Casual plinking, Serious competition - what kind? Cowboy Action Shooting? Strictly hunting? Personal defense? Skills development?

Lost Sheep
Old August 5, 2014, 07:56 AM   #59
srtolly1

I only started reloading a couple years ago and wasn't sure it would be for me. I purchased a Lee anniversary kit with the aluminum breech single stage press. Everything I needed to start except books and components. I have many thousand rounds through it now.

I purchased a Lee turret press this year and the auto disk powder measure and adjustable charge bar. I use it without auto index for load development.

I enjoyed reloading so much that I started casting bullets as well and the original aluminum single stage is used for bullet sizing now.

I only load pistol at this time and my dies are all Lee. I've been happy with my Lee equipment and have had no issues with it.

Hope this is helpful.