The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 2, 2007, 08:14 AM   #1
zappadragon

Taurus Model 941 Ultra-Lite .22 Magnum Revolver

Does anybody out ther have one and or opinions on this gun. My wife wants to start learning how to shoot and she is intimidated by my guns and I came across this one and thought it might be good for her. It may not have all the power but it has enough right? I actually like it myself and was thinking of it for a CCW. What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Old January 2, 2007, 10:54 AM   #2
Glenn E. Meyer

Get a 22 LR. If it is a training gun, no need to spend the extra bucks on a lighter round. Move up from that to a mild 38 SPL revolver.

Consensus of all the small caliber wars:

1. Any gun has utility in self defense applications and a gun is better than none.

2. Unless you have a physical deficit or financial inability - one should train up to a reasonable caliber (with a light load if need be). >= to 38s seems to be agreed upon - although some folks like the 32s.

The 22 mag doesn't gain you that much in a handgun for SD if you are going to carry a snubby.
Old January 2, 2007, 12:47 PM   #3
JR47

I own an older Taurus Model 941, with a 4" barrel. It's a nice pistol, but the DA trigger is heavy. The .22 WMR round isn't THAT much more powerful out of a 4" barrel than a .22 LR. The .22 LR has the advantage of low prices, low noise, compared to a .22 WMR, and no recoil. The Model 94 also houses one more round, at 9 vs. 8.

Start her with the .22 lr, then move into a .38 Spec. in revolvers. If this isn't a CCW weapon, a 4" .38 Special will work just fine. Not too heavy, accurate, low recoil with all but the hottest rounds, and inexpensive in both weapon and ammunition.
Old January 2, 2007, 03:18 PM   #4
BillCA

+1 for what JR said.

Use a .22 LR for initial training. The .22 WMR (Mag) typically has a lot of flash and a lot of noise out of a handgun. The .22 LR is cheaper to operate, has low recoil and a low noise signature.

Once she has some fun learning the basics, you can move up to a centerfire caliber. If you have any kind of steel 4" .38/.357 revolver, start her off with the Winchester 130gr FMJ ammo which is typically loaded only slightly faster than match wadcutters. Progress slowly and let her skill develop before jumping to hotter ammunition or calibers.

If your wife doesn't like the .38 Special and is recoil sensitive, you can look for a lightly used S&W Model 30 or 31 revolver in .32 S&W Long. These J-Frames may lack a lot of punch, but with some training you can put two or three rounds into the target accurately with great speed. For a carry gun, you can upgrade to a S&W 431/432 in .32 H&R Magnum (which also shoots the .32 Long).

What I find works best is to initially load any firearm for a new shooter, demonstrating proper safety, then fire one or two shots so she can set her expectations. Then set the gun down and let her shoot without worrying about accuracy or form. The beauty of .22 LR is that she can get used to firing, then you can step by step improve her skills as the session goes on.
Old January 3, 2007, 03:01 AM   #5
Qwiks draw

Have to agree with the advice given so far. It might be in the wife's best interests to have someone else do most of the beginning training. Egos and feeling can get in the way to easily. Had the wife and daughter go to women only and NRA basic firearms courses to start off. Learning safety and responsibility with firearms was an eye opener for them. This gave them the knowledge and experience in a relaxed atmosphere. Local gun ranges should have NRA certified instructors for one on one or large class groups. .22 longrifle or soft shooting .38 Specials are good places to start. Both gals started with Ruger 22 pistols and know shoot CZs in 9mm. www.corneredcat.com is a good starting point and resource as well. Men need to read the info as well as the women. Let the wife get some experience under her belt and then let her decide on what revolver or pistol she might want for competition, defense,or for fun. No fast or easy way to do this. It is her choice after all and her well being at stake.
Old January 4, 2007, 10:47 PM   #6
leopard1

In response to the inquiry about the Taurus .22 WMR Ultralite: I had one four years ago. The casings were extremely difficult to extract. A return trip to Taurus failed to correct the problem. Since the revolver was not 100% reliable, I sold it. Four (4!) 2" stainless steel Taurus .22 WMR revolvers followed it. All keyholed, accuracy was poor. I found one that had a 3" barrel (only one I have ever seen) that works well. I recommend the stainless steel version in a 4" tube, or else a Smith and Wesson 351PD in .22 WMR. North American's Black Widow is also worth a look.
Old May 15, 2011, 06:22 AM   #7
jhusnret

taurus 941

I have owned one of these for about 15 yrs now, SS with a 3" bbl. and rubber grips. It is one fine handgun, shoots straight, easy to clean, no issues with it at all. There are 5 of these handguns in my safe, all are used for there intended purpose.

All steel 85 2" bbl, ccw
Ultra-lite 85 2" bbl, backup
Tracker 460 SS 4" bbl, backup hunting
SS 941 3" bbl, stopping around in the woods
SS PT145, 1st run, ccw
All steel 608 4" bbl blue, hunting

As you can see, there are a few, and used daily. Both of my daughters have a Taurus, a 605 SS, and old 62 ss.

The prices are right and the darn things shoot what you point them at everytime.
Old May 15, 2011, 02:30 PM   #8
BOBA FETT

i have one and i like it.. and for people having extraction problems this round causes lots of residue and the casings bind up in the cylinder.....