The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 23, 2024, 09:49 AM   #1
AgentPickle

Night Sights

How many of you have night sights on your pistol? Id it necessary or just an option? If so what kind? https://youtu.be/Fzq5eZA442A?si=CcP_mDq6PzveTjJ8
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vid16ytthmb2_1.1.3.jpg (754.4 KB, 39 views)
Old February 23, 2024, 10:15 AM   #2
wild cat mccane

The P365 comes standard with Sig "X-Ray" night sights.

I don't care for night sights. I do like these. Come on the Legion P series too.
Old February 25, 2024, 10:22 AM   #3
Schlitz 45

All of my carry pistols have night sights of some kind, seeing the chances of having to use them in low light situations is pretty high it makes sense for me & I don’t see a downside to having them.
Old February 25, 2024, 10:45 AM   #4
RickB

Over 99% of my shooting is done in daylight, and I don't like the clutter of dots, rings, and bars.
I also believe that if it truly is dark, you can't properly ID your target so you need a light regardless of your sights; you shouldn't be shooting in the dark.
In between, night sights are absolutely wonderful; the first time I tried night sights it felt like cheating (it was a low light competition).
My current carry gun came new with three-dot night sights, and having them available if/when needed, is worth dealing with a less than optimal sight picture the rest of the time.
Old February 25, 2024, 11:06 AM   #5
ammo.crafter

good night

SIG P365 comes standard and they are excellent.

I did install night sights on my Hi Power as it is a night table weapon.

It depends on what your handgun is used for.
Old February 25, 2024, 11:59 AM   #6
RUT

Night sights are useless to me...I prefer fiber optics. (I'm old) The chance of me getting into a nocturnal gun battle are slim to none and if I did, I doubt I'd have the presence of mind to take the time to actually draw a bead on someone. Just saying....
Old February 25, 2024, 01:57 PM   #7
Drm50

SD & HD gunfights don’t involve sights. As for lights, hold your place- get low and wait on intruder to make a move. If you got time to go hunting you got time to call the law. Lights are targets and nobody is fooled by holding light to the side. The key word here is defense.
Old February 25, 2024, 06:54 PM   #8
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
SD & HD gunfights don’t involve sights. As for lights, hold your place- get low and wait on intruder to make a move. If you got time to go hunting you got time to call the law. Lights are targets and nobody is fooled by holding light to the side. The key word here is defense.
I have different take on this. I won't go clear room unless I have to, like kid down the hallway is crying for help. But before pulling the trigger I will make certain who or what I am firing at. A light turns on second before fire.

It really almost happened to me. Late father was briefly staying with us. He had onset of dementia. In the middle of night, I saw outline of a man standing in the dark in the hallway. I started running to the shotgun, and then he coughed. I was frightened like you wouldn't believe afterwards, as I could have...

Positive identification of the target before firing, no matter what. It is one of the 4 pillars of gun safety.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old February 25, 2024, 10:04 PM   #9
DT Guy

Every modern study shows that using the sights is the key to surviving most gunfights. There's a reason Col. Cooper said, "Blessed is he who, in the face of danger, focuses on the front sight."

Night sights are also great for finding the gun on the nightstand, IMHO.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old February 25, 2024, 10:52 PM   #10
Nathan

I prefer a front only tritium sight. I consider them very good, but not mandatory.
Old February 26, 2024, 11:59 AM   #11
totaldla

I've done true "night shooting" without a flashlight where the target was illuminated by muzzle flash. I've never practiced with a flashlight. So as of right now, I don't understand the purpose of night sights.
Old February 27, 2024, 10:55 AM   #12
Skans

I still have night sights on my 2nd Gen Glock 17. They haven't glowed sufficiently to work in the dark for over 15 years now. I'm not going to replace them - they work well enough for my purposes.
Old March 10, 2024, 02:59 PM   #13
Mosin44az

I have night sights on all my defense pistols except pure pocket guns. Definitely helps in the dark. But be sure of your target!

I have read some who say you don’t need night sights because you HAVE to have light to properly identify targets before shooting, and once there is light the night sights have no advantage. There is something to this argument, but it’s also true night sights on your bedside gun help you find it in the dark. Per Honest Outlaw, that’s the only use of night sights.

As for brands, I had a Night Fision front NS break on install by a competent professional gunsmith. I don’t blame him. He said Night Fision and XS sights were the worst Night sight brands. They do tend to be “ more affordable,” I have noticed.

I have recently had two XS night sights, purchased on Amazon, fade out incredibly fast. I think some Amazon sellers have very old inventory, and I don’t think XS sights last as long as the more expensive brands like Trijicon. To their credit, XS sent me new replacements without much argument in both cases. So they have honored the warranty.
Old March 10, 2024, 05:37 PM   #14
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentPickle View Post
How many of you have night sights on your pistol? Id it necessary or just an option? If so what kind? https://youtu.be/Fzq5eZA442A?si=CcP_mDq6PzveTjJ8
They are not necessary, but sure are nice. I used to run Trijicon and Meprolight. Last several sets have been TruGlo. Hard to beat their price and have same warranty as the more expensive. They are easier to install because they are set screw locking and not machined oversized to point have to be filed down.
Old March 10, 2024, 05:38 PM   #15
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skans View Post
I still have night sights on my 2nd Gen Glock 17. They haven't glowed sufficiently to work in the dark for over 15 years now. I'm not going to replace them - they work well enough for my purposes.
If over 15 yrs old, I am surprised they glow at all.
Old March 10, 2024, 05:39 PM   #16
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by totaldla View Post
I've done true "night shooting" without a flashlight where the target was illuminated by muzzle flash. I've never practiced with a flashlight. So as of right now, I don't understand the purpose of night sights.
How does that work? Start randomly firing to find the target with muzzle flash? Seems very safe????
Old March 10, 2024, 05:43 PM   #17
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
I am a retired Swat instructor. SD and HD shootings should involve sights, if past point blank range. Spray and pray is for fully automatic weapons and tree lines, not a home with people in it that can become innocent casualties. I was on over 1200 raids that we used lights on. Never became a target. A high intensity light blinds the perp so badly they can't see you. We did on rare occasion use night vision, but I highly preferred High Intensity lights.
Old March 11, 2024, 09:43 PM   #18
rc

Do you absolutely need them? No, because you better have a flashlight to see what you are shooting at. When you illuminate a target you can see the outline of the sights. However, I have night sights on a few guns. I bought some TrueGlo Tritium Pro sights because I liked the large U notch and big dot front. When the tritium runs out in 8 or 10 years, they will still be better than small sights for my old eyes. I don't like the X press sights. Can't hit Q#$%$ with them.
Old March 12, 2024, 01:35 AM   #19
georgehwbush

reynolds357: "point blank range" ??? isn't that when the target is not far enough away you have to start adding elevation correction?

or is that only in rifle shooting that it's specified that way ?
Old March 12, 2024, 06:25 PM   #20
reynolds357

In rifle, you are indeed correct. In pistol, it is often used to describe the range in which you point and do not aim. 3 yds to 5 yds for most people. At 3 to five yards, I usually shoot two rounds between low ready and having weapon fully raised and aimed. Two body shots while raising weapon, head shot when weapon fully comes to aim.
Old March 13, 2024, 10:50 AM   #21
Fishbed77

All of my pistols intended for defensive use (carry or home defense) have night sights.
Old March 14, 2024, 12:43 AM   #22
Koda94

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentPickle View Post
How many of you have night sights on your pistol? Id it necessary or just an option? If so what kind?
Night Sights are optional. Your better off getting a handheld light before upgrading to night sights.

In natural light there is about a 30 minute window of rising or setting sunlight where they are useful. Artificial ambient light can work if just right. In total darkness they are useless without a handheld light to illuminate the target, where you wont notice the night sight glow anyways. A handheld light negates the need for night sights in any lighting condition.
Old March 15, 2024, 03:10 PM   #23
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koda94 View Post
Night Sights are optional. Your better off getting a handheld light before upgrading to night sights.

In natural light there is about a 30 minute window of rising or setting sunlight where they are useful. Artificial ambient light can work if just right. In total darkness they are useless without a handheld light to illuminate the target, where you wont notice the night sight glow anyways. A handheld light negates the need for night sights in any lighting condition.
I worked night shift at PD for 17 years. They are useful quite often. Very rarely are you in absolute darkness.
Old March 15, 2024, 03:47 PM   #24
Koda94

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds357 View Post
I worked night shift at PD for 17 years. They are useful quite often. Very rarely are you in absolute darkness.
Ive also heard the opposite from police officers.

Even in low light you still need a flashlight to identify and fire at your target which renders the night sights useless.
Old March 15, 2024, 04:48 PM   #25
unit 900

I think they are a useful addition to my carry guns, and so equip them all. Trijicon will re-lamp their old sights and I had that done recently. Very happy with the results and turnaround. They use a third party vendor if you are active/retired military or First Responder. That lowers that price significantly.

Tags
ccw guns , night sights , trijicon