The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old May 2, 2011, 12:55 PM   #151
Alaska444

Very convenient for POTUS as he enters his reelection campaign. The last known photos of Osama bin laden are from over 10 years ago. Now we have no pictures of his body as we had with Hussein's sons. Fair enough, I personally don't believe anything out of Washington these days. Call me skeptical, fair enough, but very neat way to start his reelection campaign. If we got him, so be it. However, this government has had serious credibility gaps for decades, it is not the least off center to question what we are hearing.

I had a patient who told me his own story of how his jaw was broken and teeth mangled. After the "end" of the Korean war, he states that there was five mountains that the Chinese held south of the DMZ. He states that America and China had a real man to man war to see who really was the best military. He trained at a couple of different camps that I was familiar with and that is how the conversation started. He charged up one hill and met a Chinese soldier face to face that took him out with a rifle butt, but he survived the situation.

He returned home and tried to look up one of his buddies that fought on a different mountain. His mother informed him he died at a training accident stateside which he knew was not true. He spent one month being debriefed and he stated that after one month of this psychological treatment, he almost believed he wasn't there. But he states, whenever he reaches up and feels his deformed jaw from that Chinese soldier, he says, I know I was there. That was back in the 1950's folks. So call me skeptical about all of this news, but is there not indeed a cause to be skeptical? Sorry, just the way it is.
Old May 2, 2011, 12:59 PM   #152
camelshark69

Outstanding Job by SEAL team 6! Bullet to the head with no U.S. casualties. This day would eventually come.

To Pakistani Govt and Musharraf- You coniving, lying bastards! Harboring terrorists and we should bring you down as well!
Savage .22; Remington 700, .308 SPC tactical.
Old May 2, 2011, 01:01 PM   #153
SPUSCG

musharraf has been gone a long time man. But yeah pakistan isnt very friendly to us, they probably only allowed the raid to keep us from declaring war on them.
Old May 2, 2011, 01:06 PM   #154
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
No.

Having him simply disappear, such that nobody officially knew what happened to him but the whole world knew that he isn't making any more videos and that nobody had seen him for oh-so-long, would have been better.
I think a capture would have been better than a kill, but what you suggest would have been the ideal.

Quote:
All I see here is 5 pages of people who will beleive anything the media tells them.
Well, I sort of have to listen to them because I could not go on the raid as I had a previously scheduled dental appointment and so I wasn't there.
Old May 2, 2011, 01:07 PM   #155
22-rimfire

Quote:
Very convenient for POTUS as he enters his reelection campaign. The last known photos of Osama bin laden are from over 10 years ago. Now we have no pictures of his body as we had with Hussein's sons. Fair enough, I personally don't believe anything out of Washington these days. Call me skeptical, fair enough, but very neat way to start his reelection campaign. If we got him, so be it. However, this government has had serious credibility gaps for decades, it is not the least off center to question what we are hearing.
I have become skeptical about many things that are said my our government. Inflation figures are one of them. But I do believe that Osama Bin Laden is indeed dead as a result of this operation. A 6'6" Moslem is hard to miss. I gather that his son and a wife were present. I am glad it worked out this way as I can imagine the circus a formal trial would have created. Even Obama learns.

This will have no impact on the election. It is not an issue. This may have a big impact on our fight against terrorists around the world.

Last edited by 22-rimfire; May 2, 2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old May 2, 2011, 01:07 PM   #156
Mainah

Obviously the primary credit goes to the SEAL Team and everyone else in the military and intelligence communities who were involved in this. But if you're not willing to give the President some credit you should ask yourself who you would be blaming today if the mission had failed. If this great event can't unite us for just one day then I don't know what can.
Old May 2, 2011, 01:09 PM   #157
camelshark69

My bad, I meant- Asif Ali Zardari. Speaking before thinking will get ya everytime...
Savage .22; Remington 700, .308 SPC tactical.
Old May 2, 2011, 01:11 PM   #158
5RWill

Quote:
All I see here is 5 pages of people who will beleive anything the media tells them.
Other than Obama's election why would the government lie about this? Possibly wrong... maybe but flat out lie? I see nothing accomplished from lying. I know your saying the media, but same problem goes why lie about it?
Old May 2, 2011, 01:19 PM   #159
Glenn E. Meyer

If we wander into unfounded and political based conspiracies, then we will be done soon. Let's stay on what happened as reported by legit sources and away from the fringes.
Old May 2, 2011, 01:27 PM   #160
mrray13

Congrats and thank you to the crew who had to go in and pull this off! Job very well done! I would gladly buy your night's drinks to celebrate, in the meantime, I'll drink to your success!

Congrats and thanks to our President, for actually signing off on the mission. While I'm no fan of his, I respect him for doing his job. Let him take the credit if he wants, regardless of who was in office, they would do the same.

In the midst of the worst flood since 1937, this gives people in the region where I live something to smile about. In between sandbagging, they are smiling and talking about the great day it was to hear Bin Laden had died. I type this as I await my son to return home from high school so we can fill sandbags for those in need, this gives us something to smile about.

To the families of those lost in 9/11 and the conflicts since, God Bless you for your sacrifice. Hopefully yesterday's news will give you some closure.

This isn't over, but it's a step and a message in the right direction. A friend coined a phrase from another, "Don't tread on us, for we will gladly tread on you in return".
Old May 2, 2011, 01:37 PM   #161
liberty -r- death

I'll believe when I see images of the body. We at least got to see the bodies of the Hussein boys after they were killed as proof.
Old May 2, 2011, 01:38 PM   #162
doofus47

Quote:
Bin Laden hasn't been missing for 10 years. In December 2001, Chuck Norris round-house kicked Osama 10 years into the future and gave Special Forces Command the time date and location he would re-appear.
word.
Old May 2, 2011, 01:41 PM   #163
Alaska444

Is it conspiracy thinking to ask for evidence of death of this creep? I don't think so, just simply the standard that we have had with many of these other agents of death such as Uday and Qusay Hussein. In any case, anyone that does not question the veracity of news and reports from Washington is just asking to be deceived in my mind. Just my own opinion of the state of things, no conspiracy here folks, just plain old fashioned skepticism. Is that wrong?
Old May 2, 2011, 01:45 PM   #164
SPEMack618

Looks like the 5.56mm debate will be settled for awhile now....darn it.
Old May 2, 2011, 01:49 PM   #165
sixgun67

I personally am inclined to believe that OBL is indeed deceased. I would only hope that our leaders would not open us up to possible retaliations if it weren't so. Benefit of the doubt on this one, I reckon.
sixgun
Old May 2, 2011, 01:53 PM   #166
Evan Thomas

I have great respect for the people on the ground who carried out this operation, and for those who planned it. If, indeed, the original intelligence as to Bin Laden's whereabouts was obtained last August, I'm sure that one reason it took so long to carry it out is that it was meticulously planned and rehearsed: somewhere -- in Nevada, perhaps -- there's an exact replica of that Abbottabad compound, and these people trained there for months, I'd bet.

But it's a pity that we now, apparently, equate "justice" with assassination. This is vengeance, not justice.

And it's a perfectly Orwellian "victory." The Face of Evil is dead, at a cost of trillions of dollars and thousands of American lives (as well as those of the tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of Iraqis, Afghanis, Pakistanis the U.S. military has killed in the process).

We're already being exhorted to increase our vigilance, because this "victory" puts us at greater risk of terrorist attacks. There will be a new Face of Evil before long, and the chants of "USA! USA!" will rekindle Americans' waning support for the "War on Terror." Nothing will change; certainly not for the better.

It's a strange notion of "winning."

And it's unfortunate that this killing has happened during the Arab Spring, at a point in history when Muslim peoples throughout much of the world are choosing mass, largely peaceful protests against their own corrupt rulers over the tactics of small-unit terror against the West.

It would be a hideous irony if one effect of this event were to short-circuit that impulse to peaceful protest and democratic reform...
Old May 2, 2011, 02:01 PM   #167
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Is it conspiracy thinking to ask for evidence of death of this creep?
Not at all. However, I don't think we're faking it in this case.

Imagine if it was all a PR stunt, and the truth were to come out later. The political damage would be catastrophic. If it was a lie, any sane person would have realized that it was too big a lie to keep.

Skepticism is healthy, but I think we're getting the true picture in this case.

Quote:
But it's a pity that we now, apparently, equate "justice" with assassination. This is vengeance, not justice.
I agree in sentiment. In pragmatic terms, I think this was the only workable outcome. I'm not calling it "justice," but I won't argue with the families of the victims if they choose to do so.

Quote:
It would be a hideous irony if one effect of this event were to short-circuit that impulse to peaceful protest and democratic reform.
I don't think we have to worry about that. Bin Laden is pretty far outside the Islamic mainstream. Most of the Muslims protesting for democratic reforms don't like him, and certainly wouldn't want anything to do with him. To many of them, his death removes a stigma the world attaches to all Muslims, and they're glad to see him gone.
Old May 2, 2011, 02:11 PM   #168
SPUSCG

So whos the next bad guy to go after now that this douchebags dead?
Old May 2, 2011, 02:13 PM   #169
Glenn E. Meyer

The man attacked the USA - he was not a criminal but a enemy warrior. He was probably engaged in planning more such acts of war.

Killing him is not assassination.

That in some Arab states, they are rioting against their own corruption is overthinking the issue.

Would any time be the correct one for the action? Not from that point of view. If there were not riots - I could hypothesize that the corrupt governments would use this arouse their folks as Hamas is doing. No riots against Hamas - free elected and now denoucing us. I could always come up with some baloney as to why we shouldn't have acted.

The Japanese had some legit grievances against the West that led to Pearl Harbor - unfortunately we decided to build a lot of stuff to assassinate them en masse - as compared to letting it go. We should have understood them.

I don't understand the mentality of some posters. It's a conspiracy by Obama, poor Osama - :barf:

As far as being proud of the USA - good. BTW, many are arguing that killing Osama is a fine reason for leaving Afghanistan to their own devices and culture.

The mistake was trying to change the entire country rather than just removing Osama and his minions from the Earth. One may recall that the Afghan government of the time supported him and the Taliban still do.

So we fold and accept that the attacks on us are justified. We apologize for being so rude as to generate them. Sure, Osama didn't like that we kept forces in Saudi Arabia after Gulf War 1. Thus, he was justified in 9/11 and the Embassy bombings in Africa.

That parts of the war were conducted stupidly doesn't change the moral picture that eliminating Osama was a good thing to do.
Old May 2, 2011, 02:17 PM   #170
Mainah

Quote:
It would be a hideous irony if one effect of this event were to short-circuit that impulse to peaceful protest and democratic reform...
I don't see that happenning. Bin Laden wasn't a motivating force in those protests, I think they'll carry on. But he won't be around to influence whatever takes the place of the current regimes in the region. He was a big fan of power vacuums in Muslim countries, we're going to see a lot of them soon.

Might be a good idea to stop giving Pakistan billions in exchange for their "cooperation".
Old May 2, 2011, 02:17 PM   #171
lawnboy

Quote:
I have great respect for the people on the ground who carried out this operation, and for those who planned it. If, indeed, the original intelligence as to Bin Laden's whereabouts was obtained last August, I'm sure that one reason it took so long to carry it out is that it was meticulously planned and rehearsed: somewhere -- in Nevada, perhaps -- there's an exact replica of that Abbottabad compound, and these people trained there for months, I'd bet.
I agree with this.

Quote:
Wrong. Not vengeance and not justice. War. You kill the enemy or wound him in an attempt to kill him. Capture him if he surrenders. Neither vengeance nor justice apply in war.

Quote:
And it's a perfectly Orwellian "victory." The Face of Evil is dead, at a cost of trillions of dollars and thousands of American lives (as well as those of the tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of Iraqis, Afghanis, Pakistanis the U.S. military has killed in the process).
Wrong again. See my post above in the thread. US action in the entire "War on Terror" have changed the battlefield from one chosen by the enemy (the streets of America) to one of our choosing (as close to terrorist hotbeds as you can get). We have trillions of dollars, as well as open borders and freedom of assembly and movement at home. We spent trillions to fight in the enemys backyard rather than our own. Excellent strategy. Fight from strength. If this were an "Orwellian Victory" we'd have changed sides several times and would now be allied with Osama and his supporters. Read 1984 again. As to the dead, its war. People die, even civilians. If hundreds of thousands of residents of other countries have to die in order to take the fight to the enemy so be it.

Quote:
We're already being exhorted to increase our vigilance, because this "victory" puts us at greater risk of terrorist attacks. There will be a new Face of Evil before long, and the chants of "USA! USA!" will rekindle Americans' waning support for the "War on Terror." Nothing will change; certainly not for the better.
There will be a new "Face of Evil" because there is always a face of evil. Would it have been better to not kill Osama? Increased vigilance is a good thing. Support for the War on Terror is a good thing. I fail to see a downside to this victory. Especially if what you postulate actually happens. Now if everyone thinks "whew, its over>" and goes back to sleep.....that's a downside.

Quote:
It's a strange notion of "winning."
Strange only to those who think that killing an enemy in battle should cause feelings of remorse. Not strange to me. War is war.

Quote:
And it's unfortunate that this killing has happened during the Arab Spring, at a point in history when Muslim peoples throughout much of the world are choosing mass, largely peaceful protests against their own corrupt rulers over the tactics of small-unit terror against the West.

You are watching different coverage of those events than I am. I think it is FORTUNATE that the Arab peoples see this. I hope they feel ashamed that so many that share their belief system followed this man. And there can never be democratic reform in a political system where the muslim religion holds sway. Western style democracy cannot exist in a place where Western style culture doesn't prevail. They may eventually establish something that is called "democracy" in textbooks, but it will be un-recognizable to us.

"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her"-- W.C Fields
Old May 2, 2011, 02:20 PM   #172
GoOfY-FoOt

For all the conspiracy theorists...

Here is a link to a clip from a british? news station who showed pictures of osama...

NSFW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXukuqecm4s

Something to fuel the fire...? Or put an end to your speculation.
Old May 2, 2011, 02:23 PM   #173
SPUSCG

the one photo being circulated earlier was a photochop
Old May 2, 2011, 02:24 PM   #174
shortwave

Ten years ago, when all this 1st started, President Bush declared war on terrorism and any country that harbored/funded terrorists. At this point, IMHO, it's a moot point to not expect some form of attempted retaliation to obl's(doesn't deserve the respect to capitalize his initials) death. That's war, and we're in this for the long haul. We've won a GREAT battle in obl's death and will have to be vigilant for years to come in this war. There should be no doubt that another demon took obl's place some time ago. When he dies there will be another. We didn't start this sensless war but we'll win it.

I sincerely hope the U.S. and the U.N. investigates whether Pakistan harbored obl, and if so, brings severe sanctions against them for it. Seems as though where obl was living, there's surely 'a snake in the grass'....

But for today, we should rejoice in this important battle victory.

Thank You to the Spl. Ops. team for an outstanding job.

Thank Youto all those that have fought this long and continued war.

A Special THANK YOU to those that have given the ultimate sacrifice.

Prayers to your families, including my own!
Old May 2, 2011, 02:25 PM   #175
Mike Irwin
Staff

There's a directly corollary to this in American history...

World War II, Franklin Roosevelt authorizes the US military, based on intelligence developed over the course of months, to intercept and shoot down the plane carrying Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto.

That was, to the best of my knowledge, the first time the US military had ever specifically targeted an enemy leader for elimination.

There was a lot of discussion about whether it was allowable under international law and/or the rules of war.

The final decision was that, as an enemy combatant, Yamamoto was a legitimate target.

I can't see how anything would have changed since 1943.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread