The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 2, 2010, 09:00 AM   #51
demigod

Quote:
So even if it was only 10 pounds heavier with scrap brass selling at $3 + per pound that should get you $300 for a bucket full.
I'd love to know WHO pays $3 per lb for scrap brass.

I'm not an expert, but paying copper spot price for scrap brass doesn't strike me as economic brilliance. The Zinc in the brass actually brings the value down... Not to mention yield loss from misc debris and filth. But if the guy pulled it off, good for him.

I suppose the bulk density of rimfire brass could get you that much weight in a single bucket. I'll never know since we generally pick our brass up off the desert dirt/sand out here. Picking up rimfire brass would be a torturous exercise.

Last edited by demigod; June 2, 2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old June 2, 2010, 11:55 AM   #52
pelo801

i called the recyclers, they call spent cases, yellow clean brass and pay $1.60/LB.
Old June 2, 2010, 05:07 PM   #53
CrustyFN

Quote:
I suppose the bulk density of rimfire brass could get you that much weight in a single bucket. I'll never know since we generally pick our brass up off the desert dirt/sand out here. Picking up rimfire brass would be a torturous exercise.
I'll never know either. It's enough of a chore picking up all the brass that I can use. I don't plan on picking up any rimfire in the near future.

Quote:
i called the recyclers, they call spent cases, yellow clean brass and pay $1.60/LB.
Interesting, I got the $3 scrap price off the internet.
Old June 2, 2010, 06:04 PM   #54
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Interesting, I got the $3 scrap price off the internet.
Sounds like a trade quote to me.

Plus... most people don't have the enormous quantities of metal required to deal with an actual scrap metal wholesaler. 99% of us have to go to a local salvage business, and let them pad their wallets a bit with part of that price.

Last year, dirty brass was at $2.70/lb and clean yellow brass $3.65/lb around here. But... that's long gone. We're lucky to break a dollar per pound now.
Old June 2, 2010, 06:13 PM   #55
RWNielsen

Quote:
Definition of a true "gun nut"? Makes $50 an hour at work and will spend 30 minutes looking for that evasive 7 cent case out of the semi-auto.
That's me. Kind of disturbing when I see it in print
Old June 3, 2010, 03:50 PM   #56
CrustyFN

Quote:
Last year, dirty brass was at $2.70/lb and clean yellow brass $3.65/lb around here. But... that's long gone. We're lucky to break a dollar per pound now.
That's a great point. I would say he had to have sold it when the price was up.
Old June 3, 2010, 08:41 PM   #57
Stargazer

At my shooting lease the place gets picked clean of everything. Ever so often the rich boys come down and blast away and leave their brass and we scrounge it up for them to recycle it.

Those .22 cases can be turned into .223 bullets using Corbin dies.

M70 Web Page
Old June 3, 2010, 09:07 PM   #58
jaguarxk120

There is a whole lot of prairie dogs that have found out the corbin die made bullets work very well.
Old June 3, 2010, 09:49 PM   #59
TheNatureBoy

Toss me in the pack of "scroungers". Anytime I go the the range I'm always looking for brass that I can use. There are only two of us who reload in our hunting club. So when they guys go up to shoot their rifles they always leave once fired brass behind.

"Just when you think you know the answer, we change he question".
Arn Anderson - Four Horseman
Old June 3, 2010, 11:13 PM   #60
Cat Hunter

I also pick up any brass i see laying around.
Old June 4, 2010, 02:01 AM   #61
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Those .22 cases can be turned into .223 bullets using Corbin dies.
I've been having my brother's kids pick up spent .22 LR, .22 Short, and .22 WMR hulls for about a year now (on and off), for the handsome price of 1 cent each. I'm getting robbed, if you look at it from a value point of view - but, it keeps the kids busy and out of our hair for a while (which is priceless).

My brothers think I'm tossing them in my brass recycling jug. Little do they know... I've been planning to pick up one of the Corbin sets and some lead wire.

Since they both read these forums; I guess the secret is out, though...
Old June 4, 2010, 02:37 PM   #62
ForneyRider

I use a brass catcher on my AR.

Really helps keep track of brass and the ranges that don't allow pickup don't say anything.
Old June 4, 2010, 03:32 PM   #63
jaguarxk120

The 22 short case will make a nice 40 grain bullet for the Hornet.
Old June 6, 2010, 06:51 AM   #64
m&p45acp10+1

You guys would love to shoot at the range I go to. Yesterday one of my frineds came with me. He left with a WalMart bag full of 7mm mag brass. over half of it was Norma brass. A guy came out shooting 4 rifles chambered in it. He had a suitcase full of Norma ammo. He gave my frined all of the brass. There is more .223 brass in the buckets on the rifle range than a person can carry out. I also picked up a half gallon bag full of .380 brass for a friend of mine. I also picked up a gold mine of BHA .45 colt brass(about 200 of them.) Not to mention a guy gave me 300 .44 scl, and 200 .44 mag cases.
Cost to me was a $250 yearly membership. If you are not a member then it cost $15 for an hour, or $30 for all day. Pick up any brass that has been left. They do not care. They will say if that person wanted the brass they would not have thrown it in the bucket.
Old June 7, 2010, 11:32 PM   #65
BEEAH

One of my local ranges sells 15 lbs of handgun brass for $32.00. I got a bag of 40 S&W, was like 1500 of them in one bag... Makes it nice and easy. =)