The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 20, 2014, 07:08 PM   #1
Mosin-Marauder

Is this a stupid idea?

(Sorry for the rather vague thread title, want sure what to call it.)

But I saw on Savage's website that I can sent the barrel action of my axis and they would install iron sights on it. I called and got a rough quote today and they said $75-$100. I favor iron sights anyway. And i thought it would be good for low light coyote hunting or rabbit hunting and I would enjoy it more at closer ranges (max 100 yard) than using a scope. They're Supposed to be like the Hog Hunter'a sights. So is this a stupid idea and should I just get a scope? Or not?
William Tecumseh Sherman

Last edited by Mosin-Marauder; October 20, 2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old October 20, 2014, 07:24 PM   #2
Blindstitch

Personally I would go with the scope.

Is the $75-100 after shipping there and shipping back? Gotta figure in all costs and don't forget insurance.
Old October 20, 2014, 07:31 PM   #3
Mosin-Marauder

This is after shipping and everything.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old October 20, 2014, 08:08 PM   #4
Polinese

I would say just get the scope... Honestly I think once you have a GOOD scope i.e. not a centerpoint from walmart type deal, it'll grow on you. also last I checked savage iron sights are made out of plastic... May not bother you but it'd bother me.
Old October 20, 2014, 08:25 PM   #5
reynolds357

Is the Axis on layaway still? You could get the hog hunter with sights for not much more than you are going to spend putting sights on the Axis. I am not sure what scopes you have experience with, but the newer generation of quality optics is much easier to shoot in low light than iron sights are.
Old October 20, 2014, 08:51 PM   #6
idek

I'm assuming the stock is designed for use with a scope (meaning a high comb). Would you be able to comfortably get your eye low enough to use iron sights?
Old October 20, 2014, 08:55 PM   #7
jmr40

Quote:
And i thought it would be good for low light coyote hunting or rabbit hunting
Iron sights suck in low light. The whole point of having optics is to be able to see the target better in low light. Even at fairly long range I can shoot irons almost as accurately as with a scope, as long as I can see the target. The scope helps you see the target when it is in poor light.

That said, if you want irons $75-$100 is way less than it would cost to buy a decent scope and mounts.

As long as you keep the magnification down to 2X or less optics are faster for quick snap shots too. I've also had more iron sights fail in the field than quality glass. For $100 installed and shipped back I'm betting these are cheap irons.

For me, a 1-4X or 2-7X scope is about perfect for all around use. A 3-9X isn't bad, but I don't want any more magnification on the low end than 3X, and the difference with a true 1X scope is dramatic.
Old October 20, 2014, 09:15 PM   #8
LAH

Check with your gunsmith. In times past many iron sights were removed from factory rifles. You may be able to pick what you want.
Old October 20, 2014, 09:21 PM   #9
Snyper

I don't see the sense in buyng a rifle capable of long range performance on small targets, then limiting it to short range due to iron sights.

A good variable power scope will work closer than you'll ever need one
Old October 20, 2014, 09:56 PM   #10
Jim243

I don't use iron sights, all my rifles have scopes.

That said, no it is not a stupid idea if that's what you really want. Besides you can still mount a scope on it as well as the iron's, and if your scope for some reason should break or go out you can still hunt with the iron's.

Not a bad idea at all.
Jim
Old October 20, 2014, 11:38 PM   #11
DPris
Member Emeritus

Mo,
We'd talked about iron sights & I gave you examples of perfectly good rifles that came with them, at relatively affordable prices.
Now you're buying a rifle without 'em & paying extra to have them installed.

It'd be a real good idea to figure out what you want a little better before you jump on something that appeals at first sight & then play catchup later.

Re the low-light issue, glass all the way. It gathers light, lets you see clearer & farther in dim lighting conditions than you possibly could with irons.

Denis
Old October 21, 2014, 02:17 AM   #12
dakota.potts

I know you favor iron sights, but don't you already have 3 guns that have iron sights mounted? Seems to me you'd be better off getting an entry level scope and mount to diversify your uses a little bit. Otherwise, can you justify the cost of the new rifle? If you decide to have iron sights added later, you could get a high-rise see through mount that allows you to look through the base to see the iron sights. I have one on my CZ452 but I really only use that feature at the range to make sure it still works
Old October 21, 2014, 05:24 AM   #13
wild willy

This is one of those things you'll do and later on wonder why did I do that.But don't feel bad I do it all the time.
Old October 21, 2014, 07:22 AM   #14
Mosin-Marauder

Now that I think about it, I think I'll just buy a decent scope and keep my other rifles for iron sights work. Thanks for your help everyone.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old October 21, 2014, 08:00 AM   #15
A pause for the COZ

If you dont like the magnification. Get a millet Red dot.
They are cheap and works great on the two guns I have them on.
Old October 21, 2014, 09:13 AM   #16
Deja vu

Get the iron sights. That is what you like. I try to put iron sights on all of my guns, but often put a scope on too. It paid off one year when the gun I was using for hunting bounced off the ATV and had a very (un)lucky hit of a rock on the eye piece lens resulting in a broken scope. Leupold did send me a new one for free but if it was not for the iron sights that hunt would of been ruined.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old October 21, 2014, 10:21 AM   #17
DPris
Member Emeritus

Mo,
What do you want the gun to do?
If targets-only at 100 yards, do your irons.
If ANY type of hunting or realistic shooting out to 300 yards, just install a scope.

You're buying a longer-range caliber (mid-range, anyway), glass will extend your practical shooting limitations as well as your shooting conditions (lighting).

You've said your vision is not the best.
In your case, with that rifle you put on layaway, glass will allow you to see better, will provide one single aiming point (typically better for more consistent accuracy & faster target acquisition at distance), and will take far better advantage of your rifle's capability.

Putting irons on is not necessarily a dumb idea, I prefer them on my boltguns & insist on them for large critter defense, but I do have a .223 varminter without them & don't mind on THAT gun for THAT gun's primary purpose.

Decide on what type of shooting you want your rifle to MOSTLY do, and base your decision on that.

If MOSTLY paper at 100, or MOSTLY animals farther out, go with the biggest percentage.

In NC I don't know what types of shooting you CAN do, with that caliber.
In my limited travels in your state I've seen a helluva lot of trees & hills, dunno if you have any extensive flats where you can be hunting small game or if there's much coyote-ing there.

You've said you don't want the rifle to hunt deer.
If you want it for coyotes, talk to people who hunt 'em in your area & see what the average distances are.
If inside 100 yards, you could probably get by with a GOOD set of irons.
If beyond, glass would be the way to go.

Irons on that layaway rifle, in that caliber, would limit its utility FOR YOU.
Irons are great backups on hunts, you can fall back on them if your scope goes down for whatever reason.

But, if what you'll be hunting will generally be in semi-open country and it's not a big or dangerous game gun, the expense of irons as BACKUPS is probably not justified.

Irons as primaries limits you, as mentioned.

The expense of going both routes, irons AND glass, is probably not justified in YOUR situation.

My suggestion would be to put your limited funding on a decent scope and try that for a while.
You may discover you won't want to bother installing irons, but if you still want 'em as backups, you can add 'em later.

Figure out what role the rifle will fill for you.
If all you're going to be doing is 100 & less, you didn't need that gun or that caliber, but you certainly could get by with irons only.

If you do go with glass, while I understand your money's limited, I would not recommend anything below $150 as an entry-level scope.
I know others differ, but...
Denis
Old October 21, 2014, 12:12 PM   #18
603Country

Way back in the last century, my Dad bought a new Marlin 336C and bought one each for my brother and I. I went 35 Rem in a 336T and I was the only one that opted out on a scope. They both got 4 powers. And they were getting way more deer than I was. I just flat could not see well enough in low light to put iron sights on a deer and make a good shot, and I had 16 year old eyes. Soooo....I kissed up to Dad for a scope and he got me a 4 power. No problem with hunting in low light after that.

Get a scope or you'll have a bad day like I did. The big buck slips out of the woods right as the light is almost gone. Giant set of antlers (at least to a 16 year old). I could NOT find the black sights against a dark brown/black buck. I was kissing up to Dad that evening.
Old October 21, 2014, 12:15 PM   #19
Polinese

I really think you will learn to love the scope once you actually start using one, and a serviceable one. If you don't like a lot of magnification just grab a 1-4 or 2-7 or a 4x or something like that.

The cheapest scope i recommend is the newly produced Weaver K's I have 2 of the 6x's and just mounted another on a friend's rifle I put together for him.

One of those spent a lot of time riding around in my trunk as it was mounted to my trunk rifle (rifle was since retired in favor of a different one)
Old October 21, 2014, 12:23 PM   #20
Blindstitch

If for some reason you do have a stock with a high comb you will regret iron sights. I have a marlin 22 mag with a high comb and I have to press my cheak hard on the rifle just to get low enough to see through the sights.

I have a scope waiting to go on it and make it worth shooting without pain.
Old October 21, 2014, 02:47 PM   #21
Paul B.

Many years ago, my good friend and hunting partner was the fixed base operator at a small town airport. The runways were over run with hundreds of jack rabbits and pilots were complaining, especially at night fearing damage to the landing gear of their aircraft. I another hunting buddy and I joined up with him to clear out the rabbits. Both their .22's had iron sights and I had the only scoped rifle, a Remington Nylon 66 with a cheap Weaver .22 scope. Those rabbits soon learned to stay out of the headlights of the truck but would stay at the very fringe. To say that I probably got 10 shots to their one would be understatement. Even that el cheapo scope would gather enough light to make hits easier. If you want iron sights as a back up system or just for plain esthetics go for it but for serious shooting, get a scope.
Paul B.
Old October 21, 2014, 04:53 PM   #22
Mosin-Marauder

I don't hunt deer. But I will get a scope. Going to academy this weekend to look around.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old October 21, 2014, 05:25 PM   #23
Blindstitch

Just because you don't doesn't mean you won't. I don't hunt pronghorn or elk but I want to.

For a long time I said I didn't need a semi auto rifle and then I stumbled on a SKS with scope and 400 rounds of ammo for $200 in July and I won't say I need it but at the range it is fun to shoot this cheap gun.

Things change.
Old October 21, 2014, 05:30 PM   #24
tahunua001

if you're not expecting to shoot more than 100 yards a scope is more of a hindrance than help. if you feel more comfortable with irons and are willing to pay the price then that is probably the best option, it's still cheaper than a decent scope anyway.
Old October 22, 2014, 10:33 PM   #25
gk1

I'm hard pressed to think of a reason to have a .22-250 without a scope...your Axis is a .22-250, isnt it?

Irons too, if you want, but not instead of a scope. For $150-200 you can have a "good enough" scope...it'll be more than twice the value of the irons IMO.