The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 10, 2020, 04:35 PM   #1
tdoyka

ks-47 or sks?

in several months(maybe a bit longer) i was going buy a psa ks-47 to shoot targets, cans and whatever and once in a while to take hunting with me. even tho i reload, it will shoot factory ammo(exclusively). (i'm allowed to hunt because i am disabled) then while i was looking up online auctions, the sks was there. back in the day, i had the chance to buy the sks at $70-80. i should have bought 10 of them and put them away for the prices today. sheesh!!!!! $300 and up!!!!! but i didn't and i can't go back...........

i know the sks that i'll never have the accuracy that a psa ks-47 have. heck, if the sks groups 3 - 4" at 100 yards, i'll be a happy camper! i know i have to do trigger job and i'll probably do a aperture tech sight (i don't like scopes on the sks) just because. the 7.62x39 stipper clip are cheaper than ak-47 magazine(a list is on ks-47 magazines). i can throw the sks into my utv and go, not have to worry about scratching the stock or bouncing off the scope sight.

i'm not a guy that is into updated military weapons. i have served (US Army) and one thing that i've learned is that i HATE to clean my weapon!!!!!!! i've cleaned the m16a2/m203, m60, saw, ma deuce and a couple of more. the ks-47 is about the thing only i hate, cleaning!!!!! i'll only clean the sks when its appropriate(the accuracy fall off). while i hunt with the sks, it will only be 100 yards or less. 50 yards or less is more likely.

i like to shoot and not competitively. if i take out a rock or soda can or paper target or steel at 300 yards, then the guy on shoulder smiles. i'm not into shooting because of the guys, girls, trophy....i just like to shoot. i luv to shoot open(aperture) sights too. thats one thing that i've learned (and forgot) from the Army. it took an williams fp sight on my m94 to correct that.

now, what do you think that i "have to have." a ks-47 or a sks(likely a chinese)?

my thought is a sks, but the accuracy part of me say ks-47.

https://www.tech-sights.com/wp-conte...6644-Rev-A.pdf

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...165450163.html
Old January 12, 2020, 07:38 PM   #2
doofus47

My SKS was a great rifle. I'd always choose that first if I went back to soviet pattern rifles.
Old January 13, 2020, 02:49 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

Neither of 'em are accurate enough for hunting past 100 yards. However, the SKS will very likely draw less unwanted attention from CO's and LEO than any AK.
You'd have to be careful of your bullet selection too. Some 7.62 x 39 is not suitable for deer. There are lots of suitable SP's though. Still just 123 to 125 grains, but the construction matters more.
"...I'll only clean the sks when its appropriate..." Every day after shooting or sitting in a deer blind is appropriate. Failing to do it will end up with a rusted piece of junk.
Old January 14, 2020, 06:13 AM   #4
Guggmeister

If the SKS mag needs to be limited for hunting, I made 3D printabke 2/3 rd limiters. On thingiverse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old January 14, 2020, 06:41 PM   #5
Blindstitch

You might want to do your own research and see if what you want to hunt can be shot with a semi auto. What I saw was small game yes but big game no.

https://www.wfmz.com/news/area/lehig...aeba39b96.html
Old January 14, 2020, 08:49 PM   #6
tdoyka

(i'm allowed to hunt because i am disabled)

yes, i asked already
Old January 14, 2020, 09:19 PM   #7
Blindstitch

Ok so I found it but it wasn't in their digest that I read.

Semiautomatic Firearm for Big Game

(No Permit Required)

Minimum Qualifications: Amputation or total loss of use of one or both hands.

Qualified Persons May: Use a semiautomatic shotgun, rifle, or pistol to take deer or bear. Firearms must be modified to one shell in the chamber and no more than four shells in the magazine.

Qualified Persons May Not: Possess a loaded firearm in a vehicle unless the person additionally holds a Disabled Persons Permit, described in Section 2923, of the Game and Wildlife Code.

https://www.pgc.pa.gov/HuntTrap/Lice...abilities.aspx

Guess you still have to modify the magazine. Or whatever the state language means.