The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 30, 2012, 10:25 AM   #26
Destructo6

Quote:
the first was so bad why buy the second, and if both the first and second were so bad why buy the third?
I didn't buy any of them. They were given to me, along with ammo and a load of magazines, for testing purposes. I wanted to like the CMMG .22s because they have the same exact weight and balance as a real M4, but they performed so poorly that we shelved them.

The S&W M&P-15 22, despite being plastic, lighter, and balanced differently, performed very well and have seen about 5,000rnds each, with just a few cursory cleanings and few problems.

Keep all of them clean.
Old October 1, 2012, 10:37 PM   #27
Fishbed77

Quote:
I wanted to like the CMMG .22s because they have the same exact weight and balance as a real M4, but they performed so poorly that we shelved them.
That's the exact opposite of my experience.

At this point, I have put a few thousand rounds though my CMMG Sierra .22LR dedicated upper at this point, and aside from the very first round that failed to feed properly when charging (assume it was a break-in issue), it has been 100% reliable.

It is also incredibly accurate - more accurate than just about every other out-of-the-box semi-auto .22LR rifle I've ever shot (Ruger 10/22, Marlin 60, Winchester 77, Remington 552 Speedmaster and 597, Thompson Center R55, etc.)

Last edited by Fishbed77; October 2, 2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old October 1, 2012, 10:53 PM   #28
JWT

MY S&W 15-22 has performed flawlessly with thousands of rounds through it.