The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old March 28, 2020, 06:51 PM   #1
USSR

My experience with Accurate Molds.

I started a thread on another site to ask for help in picking out an Accurate Mold mold for my 45-70. To make a long story short, on Tuesday, March 24 I went on their website and ordered the brass mold I wanted. I was flabbergasted when the mold arrived in my mailbox on Friday, March 27 while I was out on my porch smelting down lead. Upon opening the box and examining the mold, it was obviously a quality piece. Attention to detail was obvious when I noticed vent lines on the top of the mold under the sprue plate. I have been a fan of brass molds for at least 10 years, having bought about a dozen of Miha's fine Slovenian molds. I just love to cast hollowpoint pistol bullets. However, I fail to see the need for a hollowpoint bullet when talking about such a robust rifle round as the 45-70. A couple of weeks ago, I bought an MP Mold that casts a 405gr bullet for the 45-70 and will cast hollowpoints as well, but I doubt I will ever cast anything but solids with it. I wanted a second mold that would cast something lighter (about 350gr) but Miha didn't have one, hence my turning to Accurate. So, mold in hand, down into the basement for a casting session. I preheated the mold like I always do, but I was getting a lot of wrinkly bullets. I stopped and preheated the mold some more. Finally, I started getting some good bullets. As I thought about it, Accurate's mold is slightly larger than Miha's mold, and I had ordered a 2 cavity mold whereas I normally get 4 cavity molds from Miha. Simply more mass involved and preheating takes longer. Right off the bat I'm impressed at how many of the bullets are dropping on their own, and of the one's that don't, only a slight tap of the mold handle in needed. One other thing that I like is my Accurate mold has no trough between the 2 sprue plate holes. I am really impressed with the quality of this mold. While I will continue to buy MP Molds for handgun bullets due to their ability to cast hollowpoints, any rifle bullet molds from here on out will be made by Accurate Molds. Thanks for listening.

Don
Old March 28, 2020, 07:43 PM   #2
FrankenMauser

Good to hear that you're happy.

Be careful with that brass, though.
Tom doesn't stress-relieve his blocks and the brass loves to warp. I've had two of his brass molds warped right out of the box - from the internal stress and material removal during machining. I've had two others warp as soon as they saw any heat (not even up to casting temperature).

With most designs, a little warpage isn't a big deal. But two of the failures that I had were with bullets where Tom and I were shooting for a -0.000/+0.0005" tolerance. Warpage blew that right out of the water and resulted in noses 0.004" over size (and unusable).

Watch that brass.
Old March 30, 2020, 02:35 PM   #3
USSR

FrankenMauser,

I checked around with the many guys who use Accurate Molds and one guy had his mold warp, but he admitted to applying excessive heat to it while preheating it prior to casting. So, with the many happy users of Tom's molds, it does not appear to be a common problem. Second casting session today and this mold is turning out beautiful bullets that drop out of the mold with ease.

Don
Old March 30, 2020, 05:00 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

Good to hear.
Maybe he finally made some changes to the machining processes, or went to a better alloy.
Old March 30, 2020, 05:15 PM   #5
USSR

Could be, but his website still warns about the possibility of warpage.

Don
Old April 2, 2020, 03:59 PM   #6
Mike / Tx

You seem to be finding your happy spot, LOL

Your absolutely right about them though, I think I have half a dozen of them and they all run just like yours.

One of my favs is the littlest one I have, the 31-115H. I got it from a fellow on CB's and it has poured up a ton of fun for my Ruger BH in 30 Carbine.