The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 4, 2017, 12:57 PM   #1
BigMikey76

My SD9 Has Arrived!

It's here! I haven't gotten it to the range, yet, but I will do a review and results thread when I do. I really like how the gray frame and black slide look together, I must say. Unfortunately, I cant get my pics to post on here. I'll try to have them up for the review.

Also, for anyone who owns an SD9, are you able to get 16 in the mag? It says that is the capacity, and there are even witness holes for 16, but it is only holding 15. I did manage to get a 16th round in there, but it was wedged in so tight that it wouldn't feed. If I end up with only 15+1 for capacity, that is not the end of the world, but it is annoying when it says one thing and the reality is something else.

Last edited by BigMikey76; May 4, 2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old May 4, 2017, 03:08 PM   #2
the duck of death

Measure the trigger pull (use a Lyman gauge), I've been interested but don't like a heavy pull.
Old May 4, 2017, 03:23 PM   #3
BigMikey76

I have no Lyman gauge, unfortunately. It is noticeably heavier than some others, but it's really not that bad. Based on all of the suggestions I've seen, I almost ordered an Apex kit before it even arrived, and now I don't think I will. I'm fairly well convinced right now that the interwebs folks who insist that it needs the aftermarket parts are looking for parts and tech to make them better shooters rather than just working on their shooting and learning how to control the gun. Maybe my mind will change when I get it out on the range - we'll see.
Old May 4, 2017, 05:10 PM   #4
jmhyer

Without pictures, it didn't happen.

Seriously though, if you can, I'd like to see it.

Congratulations!
Old May 4, 2017, 05:22 PM   #5
osbornk

Here is the mag solution. It worked well for me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPv8EWalv4c
Old May 4, 2017, 06:34 PM   #6
BigMikey76

Here is another try. If it does the same thing for you as it is doing to me, it will show you my entire photobucket upload list. Feel free to look, it's just some old gun and target pics, along with a few shots of my new SD9.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old May 4, 2017, 06:44 PM   #7
BigMikey76

Thanks for the video Osbornk. Maybe I'm just lazy, but that seems like a lot to mess with for one extra round - 15+1 will be plenty, I think.
Old May 4, 2017, 11:34 PM   #8
jmhyer

Thanks, Mikey. I, too, am fond of the grey frame and black slide.
Old May 5, 2017, 01:28 AM   #9
RolandD

Quote:
Here is the mag solution. It worked well for me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPv8EWalv4c
I wouldn't, and didn't, do any of the things he did in the video. If you lock the slide back, the mags load easy. Drop the slide and you're good to go. With a couple of range trips, my mags hold 16 without any problem.

Why was he so adamant about loading it that way? Is it tacticool to slingshot the slide?
Old May 5, 2017, 03:39 AM   #10
cobaltX

Congrats! I will be looking for your review.

Pretty good video Osbornk.
Old May 5, 2017, 06:02 AM   #11
Spats McGee
Staff

Congratulations on New Gun Day!
Old May 5, 2017, 11:34 AM   #12
BigMikey76

Quote:
I wouldn't, and didn't, do any of the things he did in the video. If you lock the slide back, the mags load easy. Drop the slide and you're good to go. With a couple of range trips, my mags hold 16 without any problem.
So load them super tight with 16, then chamber one and settle for 15+1 for a while until they relax a bit. Then, when they have relaxed, they will be able to handle 16+1. Am I understanding that right? If so, I can get down with that. No modifications required is always my preferred method
Old May 5, 2017, 06:20 PM   #13
haiauphixu

and still no pictures ?

we all know what the SW SD9 look like, but your is special, we want to see it ....please!!!!!!!!!
Old May 5, 2017, 07:19 PM   #14
BigMikey76

haiauphixu - Check the link in post #6. I had my son click on it on his phone, and it worked to show him my entire photo bucket photo library. Please let me know if the link is not working.
Old May 5, 2017, 08:54 PM   #15
lee n. field

Quote:
Also, for anyone who owns an SD9, are you able to get 16 in the mag? It says that is the capacity, and there are even witness holes for 16, but it is only holding 15. I did manage to get a 16th round in there, but it was wedged in so tight that it wouldn't feed. If I end up with only 15+1 for capacity, that is not the end of the world, but it is annoying when it says one thing and the reality is something else.
15 vs 16? I myself wouldn't worry.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old May 5, 2017, 09:21 PM   #16
haiauphixu

pictures???

still don't see any picture, but that's ok...
Old May 6, 2017, 12:31 AM   #17
RolandD

Quote:
So load them super tight with 16, then chamber one and settle for 15+1 for a while until they relax a bit. Then, when they have relaxed, they will be able to handle 16+1. Am I understanding that right? If so, I can get down with that. No modifications required is always my preferred method
Correct. To me, he is fixing a problem, in the video, that only exists in his own mind.
Old May 6, 2017, 12:41 AM   #18
BigMikey76

Quote:
15 vs 16? I myself wouldn't worry
That's​ pretty much where I am on the subject. My EDC for the last two years has been 12+1, so when this one steps in to take over that duty (assuming good results at the range, of course), I will be carrying 3 more than I'm used to. I really don't see any legitimate room to complain there.
Old May 6, 2017, 07:21 AM   #19
lockedcj7

I bought the SD9VE and the trigger was really awful. I'm no trigger snob but this was like 5 miles of bad road. I bought both the Apex trigger and spring kits. Installing them wasn't diffucult and made a world of difference.
Old May 6, 2017, 09:30 AM   #20
lee n. field

Quote:
That's​ pretty much where I am on the subject. My EDC for the last two years has been 12+1, so when this one steps in to take over that duty (assuming good results at the range, of course), I will be carrying 3 more than I'm used to. I really don't see any legitimate room to complain there.
My current EDC is an XDS45. The short mag carries 5 rounds. This is the only gun I have where I bother to top off the magazine to get "+1" capacity.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old May 6, 2017, 09:59 AM   #21
BigMikey76

Quote:
I bought the SD9VE and the trigger was really awful. I'm no trigger snob but this was like 5 miles of bad road. I bought both the Apex trigger and spring kits. Installing them wasn't diffucult and made a world of difference.
I'm just not convinced that it is necessary. The whole of the Interwebs is screaming at me right now that I have to buy the Apex kit, and I have no doubt that it does exactly what it is supposed to do. What I don't necessarily believe is that is needed. It is definitely longer and heavier than the single action from my P-07 was, but it is not as long or heavy as the double action. It isn't jerky or gritty. There is nothing inherently bad about it. With the exception of a slight take up, I actually find it reminiscent of some DAO revolvers I have fired, but with a shorter travel and slightly lighter feeling pull.

Once I get it to the range, I will be able to make a better determination, but for now, with the dry firing I have done over the last few days, I really don't think I will have any problems keeping on target.
Old May 6, 2017, 12:25 PM   #22
lockedcj7

It is not necessary. The factory trigger is perfectly fine, and probably better in a self defense scenario, I just didn't like it. The trigger on mine was rough, jerky, and very heavy at the break. If yours is fine the way it is, by all means, leave it alone.
Old May 8, 2017, 01:57 PM   #23
BigMikey76

Pics!! I figured it out!

IMG_20170504_095114906_zpsvj1xpuhy.jpg
IMG_20170504_095234538_zpsjrxm7ah7_1.jpg

Last edited by BigMikey76; May 8, 2017 at 02:42 PM.
Old May 18, 2017, 10:17 PM   #24
BigMikey76

Still trying to get the photos right - feel free to ignore me

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FB6...w?usp=drivesdk

Last edited by BigMikey76; May 18, 2017 at 10:42 PM.