The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 10, 2006, 03:17 AM   #1
Mtschust

NRA Basic

Anyone know,

Is a handgun provided for NRA Basic pistol course?
Old May 10, 2006, 04:05 AM   #2
Doggieman

I don't know
Old May 10, 2006, 07:49 AM   #3
Roberta X

It depends on the trainer or class. The place I took the NRA Basic provided revolvers but you could bring your own handgun if you had one. It was at a gun store/range that rents weapons, so they had them already.
Old May 10, 2006, 09:41 AM   #4
kbyrd

Every Basic Pistol class description I've read explicitly stated this one way or the other. The classes around me all say "handguns available for rent".
Old May 10, 2006, 03:23 PM   #5
KC135

When I teach one or mentor instructors teaching NRA Pistol, I provide the handguns and ammunition--all 22s are used. No cost to the students.

For Personal Protection in the Home, I do not provide handguns.

I also provide the guns for Pistol Instructor course, again 22s.
Old May 20, 2006, 08:29 AM   #6
Dr. Courtney

Each instructor will have his/her own policies and practices. As an NRA Basic Pistol instructor, I've always offered to allow students to shoot my pistols if they were unable to bring their own, if they had some difficulty with the pistol they brought, or simply wanted to try one of mine.

Michael Courtney
Old May 20, 2006, 09:43 AM   #7
kbyrd

I took NRA Basic Pistol last weekend.

I really recommend this class. The class I was from www.awt-co.com. They required:
A handgun
A holster
A mag carrier
150 rnds of ammunition.
Eye and ear protection.

Check with the location/instructor, I bet requirements differ. The class was at the range I usually go to, and the range would rent everything (the ammo was purchased, of course). About half the students (11 total) rented. The students ranged from complete newbies to people who shot often but are by no means experts. We all learned something, and I saw definite improvement in myself and others in the class.
Old May 24, 2006, 08:11 PM   #8
Dusty Dan

I just took Basic Handgun two weeks ago at a great place here in Phoenix called Shooter's World/Arizona Tactical. They did provide a variety of guns for sampling during the range portion of the class, the cost of which is included in the general fee. Even the ammunition is included. However, they did allow the few students who owned their own weapons to use them, while extending the option to try new ones. I fired a S&W .357 (model unsure) with .38's to get a feel for revolvers, then fired three different Glocks (9mm, .45 compact, .45 full-size) to experience semi-auto's. The instructor was knowledgeable and entertaining while still conveying the seriousness of learning proper handling of the guns. It was an excellent experience which I highly recommend, and my wife is signed up to take the next one in a few weeks. Great site, by the way.
Old December 22, 2006, 04:58 PM   #9
Dead-Nuts-Zero

Have plans to take a Pistol Instructor Course sometime this summer. Has anyone any suggeations on the NRA publications that would be helpful. Due to disability, it would be helpful to get a start on the reading and research etc. to better prepare for this class?

I have looked at the NRA site and they have some material but with restricted purchase. Some is not restricted but has a purchase code to put in a discount etc. Has anyone used this before? Does anyone have a used but current manual they would like to sell?