The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 20, 2002, 06:11 PM   #1
branrot

Please Help

I have been using my Dillon 650 with no problems to load 9mm. I've since switched to .38, and cannot get the case to feed into the sizing/decapping die properly. The rim of the case gets caught up on the edge of the die, and prevents it from going any further until you give it a nudge or pull the lever really hard. It seems that the case goes into the shellplate fine, but rests at a slight angle. How can I fix this? I've tried everything (except calling Dillon, they're closed until tomorrow). Any suggestions???
Old May 20, 2002, 09:33 PM   #2
tawakoni

Perhaps your shellplate isn't tightened enough. Sounds like it's sitting too high. Don't forget to loosen the set screw in the ram when adjusting/changing shellplates.

Best

tawakoni
Old May 20, 2002, 09:56 PM   #3
blades67

I think tawakoni is right. Loosen the set screw and readjust the shellplate one more time. Are you using Dillon dies? If not, that's part of the problem.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old May 20, 2002, 11:22 PM   #4
branrot

I tried loosening and retightening the shellplate (after loosening the set screw), and that seemed to help a little, but the case is still hitting the side of the die. BTW, yes, I'm using Dillon dies. Any other suggestions???

I actually considered tilting my bench to the side (even though I made sure it was straight with a level).
Old May 20, 2002, 11:42 PM   #5
tawakoni

If the case is tilted or wobbles in the shellplate, I still believe it's because the shellplate bolt needs to be tightened. I had this problem once and was puzzled because the shellplate bolt seemed as tight as it could be and still allow the shellplate to index. I was wrong. After backing the set screw out one more time, I found I could tighten the shellplate bolt a few more turns. If the case is level in the shellplate and the case mouth still bumps the bottom of the die, I would make sure I was using the proper locator buttons. That's all the suggestions I can think of...

tawakoni
Old May 21, 2002, 10:37 AM   #6
branrot

First of all, thank you both for your help. It is always appreciated.

Secondly, I think I found the problem. I think that the pinhole in the toolhead was off. When I remove the front pin, I can push the toolhead in a little further, and the case goes right into the die. I called Dillon this morning, and they said that that happens sometimes, and agreed to ship me a new toolhead free of charge. I felt so bad because I had requested a few replacement parts in the last week or two that I offered to send back the bad parts just to prove that I wasn't hoarding or reselling them. These guys are great.
Old May 21, 2002, 10:59 AM   #7
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Since we're groping for an explanation - - -

- - - It is possible, after a fashion, to install the shell plate upside down. This being the case, it is possible that the empty case won't be held in proper index.

When I go for a time without making a changeover, I have to remind myself of proper orientation of some of the parts. Same shell plate handles several ctgs--.45 ACP, .308, '06, etc.--and I've gone over a year without changing.

And, yes, I've made that mistake myself.

Best,
Johnny Guest
Old May 21, 2002, 11:45 AM   #8
branrot

Johnny. Interesting theory. I'll have to give that a shot when I get home from work.