The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 2, 2019, 03:02 PM   #1
rclark

Uberti Cattleman screws becoming loose question

I bought I new Taylor Co. (ultimately a Uberti) .44 Special 4 3/4 revolver a week ago. This weekend I worked on getting it sighted in properly for the Skeeter load that I shoot in all my specials (except the Bulldog). With a bit of filing front and rear, I am finally there.... But, but, all the frame screws work their way loose. Even the the three side screws. Last night I removed the ejector housing screw and cleaned it all up and then used blue locktite on it. I noticed it was loose after the first 50 rounds again. I retightened them all. Is this normal for SAA replicas? Loose screw syndrome?
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old September 2, 2019, 03:14 PM   #2
COSteve

Nope, something is definitely not kosher with it. I've had 2 Uberti Cattleman, a NIB SA Cav model in .357mag since 2009 and a NIB SA Army model in 45 Colt since 2013 and neither has had a single screw loosen up even though I added a spring kit to slick up the actions on both when they were new. I'd send it back to Taylor Co. explaining your issue with it 'cause somethin' ain't right.
Old September 2, 2019, 03:20 PM   #3
HiBC

Hmmm. Well,Maybe.
Whether Ruger or Uberti...and,by reputation, the original Colt,its a good idea to routinely check the screws.
Old September 2, 2019, 04:35 PM   #4
Bob Wright

Loctite, nylon washers, fishing line; all are friends to Single Action Shooters.

Bob Wright
Old September 2, 2019, 06:22 PM   #5
10-96

I have a Uberti Remington 1875 and a 1890, the 1875 loosens up fairly regularly. Blue Loctite helps a lot.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old September 2, 2019, 07:28 PM   #6
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

Let's see, at last count I have four 2nd Gen Colts, three 1st Gens, one Uberti Cattleman, a few Remingtons, and I don't know what all else.

Yes, the screws do tend to loosen.

At one point Colt was even supplying little plastic washers that went under the heads of the frame screws to help keep them from backing out. Ultimately the washers proved useless and I threw them away.

Fifty rounds is a bit light for screws to be backing out, but it is normal for them to do so.

Actually, the three frame screws the hammer, trigger, and bolt rotate on are not a problem at all if they back out a little bit. The internal parts will continue to work just fine, even if their screws back out a tad. The six screws that attach the grip frame to the frame are a bit more problematic if they start to back out, but even so, the gun will not fall apart if they are a tad loose. I have heard of the screw that holds the ejector rod onto the barrel getting so loose it falls out. Has not happened to me, but I have heard of it.

Your best friend is a set of hollow ground screw drivers that you can snug the screws with every once in a while. You don't have to go hog wild, nothing is going to fall apart just because the screws are a tad loose. Just snug the screws up again. Don't try to over tighten them, you will probably bugger up the screw heads if you do. Just snug them up after a few range sessions.

Don't cheap out when buying screwdrivers for your pistol. You can buy an excellent set just for the Colt SAA from Brownells that should fit all the screws on an Uberti too.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...prod25458.aspx

By the way, you can buy a set of hardened screws from VTI Gun Parts. Uberti screws tend to be soft and easily damaged. The hardened screws may not stay snugged up longer, but at least you won't run as much risk of buggering up the screw slots.

https://www.vtigunparts.com/store/shopexd.asp?id=1386

P.S. I forgot my 2nd Gen New Frontier. Yes, the screws on it need snugging every once in a while too.

P.P.S. Hi Bob.

Last edited by Driftwood Johnson; September 2, 2019 at 08:02 PM.
Old September 2, 2019, 10:37 PM   #7
rclark

Thanks guys for the info and assurance. I've had Rugers that loosed a screw here or there, but not every one . Sounds like this is normal for SAAs. I wonder if the gun carriers of the o' West all carried a screw driver with 'em .
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old September 21, 2019, 05:45 PM   #8
Catman42

i have several uberti colts. 22 through 45. they all shoot their screws loose. some faster than others. carry a really high quality well fitting screw driver with you when you shoot. stop every once in a while and tighten them. i dont like to put anything on the screws as i want to be able to take them apart with ease if i have to.
Old September 22, 2019, 09:38 AM   #9
disseminator

I have a Cimmeron Bad Boy 44 Mag, made by Uberti, and I had the same reaction as you after putting a few hundred through her at the range I was shocked to find every screw on the gun to be loose. I just tightened them up and made note to check them every time I clean the gun.

Happy trails.
Old September 22, 2019, 12:44 PM   #10
45 Dragoon

I agree with DJ, it's a part of the S.A. world.

I have used nail polish, blue locktite, but none work all the time. I will say that after a close tolerance tuning, action screws that loosen can cause a difference in timing, possible problems with an action stop etc. . . . This happens because of warped screwpins/screws and as they turn, they reorient the action parts which obviously causes the problems.

As far as action screws (trigger, bolt and hammer) , I've introduced what I call "interference pins". It's an option listed in some of my services. What it does is allow the placement of pins that mount in the sides of the frame and rest on flats ground on the screwpins. The pins are cut to be flush with the frame surface. This allows the trigger guard and backstrap to keep the pins in place. Now, no matter how much shooting one does, the action screws can't come loose. I developed this for CAS shooters so there would be NO hickups during a match. I make it possible for the action to never need opening for cleaning chores so there's no need ( and now no worry ) to ever turn an action screwpin/screw. (Makes cleaning just a barrel, cylinder and wipe the frame down affair!!)

Mike
Old September 26, 2019, 04:04 AM   #11
Grizzly2

You mentioned having a CA Bulldog. Mine would shake loose also after 50+ rounds. It went back to CA for some work and a new barrel - actually he said he rebuilt it and did a nice polish and re-bluing. For some reason now, they are staying tight longer.

I've never noticed that to happen on my Ruger SAs and they got shot alot. Both .45 and .44