The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 9, 2013, 03:06 PM   #1
Tmitch

Powder Questions

I'm reloading 32 ACP, 44 Mag, 45 Auto Rim. Can anyone suggest a single powder for these three loadings, at this times of shortages.
Terry Mitchell
Danville, IL.
Old December 9, 2013, 03:13 PM   #2
JohnMoses

I use red dot in all those (with lead bullets). You won't get magnum velocities in the 44, but it makes a good mid range load.
Old December 9, 2013, 03:32 PM   #3
BuckRub

Maybe Unique, I'm not looking at a manual but just thinking "Maybe".
Old December 9, 2013, 03:53 PM   #4
CherokeeT

I use 231 (HP38) for all three. Not best for 44 but works fine.
Old December 9, 2013, 04:22 PM   #5
BuckRub

Just checked and yes Unique would fulfill your needs.
Old December 9, 2013, 04:39 PM   #6
Roughedge

I use Unique but havent seen any in a year.
Old December 9, 2013, 04:43 PM   #7
zxcvbob

Bullseye, Green Dot, 231... maybe AA#5.
Old December 9, 2013, 04:44 PM   #8
BigJimP

Hodgdon Universal or Titegroup would be my choices..../ Unique is another one ....depending on what you can find in your area.

In my area - Unique is pretty easy to find ....Hodgdon powders not so much ....but it varies all over the country...
Old December 9, 2013, 04:47 PM   #9
BuckRub

I use tons of Unique myself. I love it and it is a very universal powder. I also use tons of Varget for rifles and its universal too. Unique is also easy to find around here.
Old December 9, 2013, 04:52 PM   #10
Wreck-n-Crew

Might help to know what type of bullet you plan on loading like cast or FMJ. also are they going to be more for plinking or performance?

But I have to agree with Buckrub , Unique should get you there. Universal does well in 44 Magnum and 9mm.

I am not familiar with as many powders as half these guys. But I have loaded some plinking rounds in 44 magnum with Universal and they went well.
Old December 9, 2013, 05:09 PM   #11
Nick_C_S

More information would be helpful. . .

. . . But once it's all said and done, if you find that "jack of all trades" powder, you will have also found the "master of none."

A major reason why there are so many powders is because there are so many different applications.
Old December 9, 2013, 05:21 PM   #12
m&p45acp10+1

There are several powders that will work well with the lower pressure rounds. For hotter .44 Mag you will need a different powder. The faster powders that work well for the .45 Auto Rim, and the .32 ACP will get erratic at pressure above the low end of the mid range .44 Mag loads.

For the lower loads of .44 Special you could use several that would give good results in all 3. If using cast I would avoid TiteGroup. I have as of yet to find a load that it does not lead up in the barrels of my guns.

Powder choices I know of

1. Bull's Eye it still works, and meters well. Used with either jacketed, or cast lead. yes it is on the sooty side of things. A cleaning kit will solve that.
2. HP38/Win231 meters well, cleaner than Bull's Eye. Works great with jacketed, and cast as well.
3. Red Dot meters poorly in low volume. If you do not mine weighing every charge it will work, and gives consistent results.

For the .44 Mag

1 H-110 For full power magnum loads using jacketed bullets it is the one to go to for top velocity. At full bore it burns quite clean as well. It meters quite well.
2 AA#9 is more versatile than H-110 in that it can be down loaded for cast lead. If loaded to max it gives close to what H-110 will. It meters like water. It is my go to for .41 Magnum with cast, and jacketed bullets. It also has less flash than H-110 with hot loads.
3. Alliant 2400 It has been a standard for lots of years. From light mid range loads, to full bore wrist breakers it will do the job. It tends to a bit more dirty on the lower end. It meters well also. I used a pound for .41 Mag loads. Then I found AA#9. With the shortage that has been going on I would use it if it was all I could get.
Old December 9, 2013, 06:01 PM   #13
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
you will have also found the "master of none."

A major reason why there are so many powders is because there are so many different applications.
Very true and for so many applications with so many attributes there are over a hundred powders to choose from to load anything from rifle to pistol or shotgun.

As Nick points out, if you want a best for caliber, bullet weight, bullet type, preferred performance, and cleanliness preference it is usually best attained by different powders for different calibers.

Also some powders "clean up" (or burn cleaner) when loaded on the upper end of the scale. So what you wish to load and how you wish it to perform really helps to determine what is a better powder choice for bullet x, with y performance attributes.

In the end I believe that the powder you settle on will have things you like about it and things you don't. How it performs on one caliber better than the other two for example. That is what has to be expected when loading such a range of calibers with one powder.
Old December 9, 2013, 10:07 PM   #14
mmb713

Any of the fast to medium burning pistol/shotgun powders will work in those cartridges. You won't get high velocity loads in your 44 Magnum but the powders that will give you those velocities won't work for your 32 ACP or 45 Auto Rim. Grab what you can find in that burning rate and check the powder manufacturer's website for data. They're all online now. No one powder will be the best for all three, and I prefer to use a different powder for all my cartridges that is best suited to them instead of just one for all, but in the current market you use what you can get.