The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 6, 2021, 07:47 AM   #1
9mmSkeeter

Anybody use multiple powders per caliber?

I use a different powder for each bullet weight in a specific caliber. For instance, my pet loads in in 9mm consist of : Clay Dot in 115gn, Red Dot in 124gn, and TiteWad in 147gn. Or for 45 it’s Clay Dot in 185, AutoComp in 200, and Universal in 230. Some non-conventional powders, I’m aware. But in the roughly two dozen handguns that have come and gone in the last decade, these have been tried and true for me. It’s the same way with other handgun calibers (I’m a handgun nut). Rifle I’m really not as versed in, I pick a weight and stick with it for the most part.

This isn’t a serious discussion by any means, but I’m curious if anyone else is as persnickety as I am regarding exact powders for bullet weights in each caliber.

Oddly enough the most universally successful powder across all HG platforms has been Alliant Clay Dot, so if I had to pick one, well you know. AutoComp is another but it’s only best in one application for me and merely works boringly in all the others. I’ve found almost nobody uses TiteWAD in HG but with some careful work ups it has been phenomenal for me in select weights in 380, 9, 40, and 45.

I aim for low recoil and accuracy both. Where those two lines diverge is where I land.

Just geeking out here. Talk away!
Old December 6, 2021, 07:53 AM   #2
Shadow9mm

9mm I have hp-38, power pistol, aa#7, and cfe pistol. My go to is power pistol. #7 under performs with 115h IMHO. and I have only started testing on CFEPistol but have had good luck with 115g and like the flash reduction.

223 I have benchmark, cfe223, and bl-c2. I really like benchmark but its not available right now. CFE 223 has performed well over all. bl-c2 seems to do well with hevier bullets.

30-06 I have varget, bl-c2, and big game. My go to is varget but I cant get it. the other 2 have done ok so far, still doing testing.

38/357 I run hp-38, power pistol, lil gun, and h110. HP-38 performs well, for my 38s. power pistol for light 357s and h110 for heavy 357s

Last edited by Shadow9mm; December 7, 2021 at 10:58 PM.
Old December 6, 2021, 09:47 AM   #3
Jim Watson

No.

My goal is reloaded ammo that is reliable and reasonably accurate in different guns and can be turned out in quantity with a minimum of fuss.
I load 9mm with HP38. I have used small lots of other powders for curiosity, convenience, or price, but always come back to HP38 (or W231 as available.)
Likewise .45 ACP. I used to use mostly HP38/W231 for major power factor but am now loading way down where Bullseye is better.
I don't recall putting anything but HP38 or W231 in .38 Special for the past 40 years.
Old December 6, 2021, 10:38 AM   #4
hounddawg

I use several powders for .223, 6BR,6.5 Grendel and .260 Remington, and .308. Different weight bullets and multiple rifles in each caliber sometimes call for different powders. Having choices is never a bad thing in my opinion
Old December 6, 2021, 12:45 PM   #5
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I’m curious if anyone else is as persnickety as I am regarding exact powders for bullet weights in each caliber.
Absolutely.

Bullet weight (within the same cartridge) changes things quite a bit.

Whenever I'm discussing powders, loads, etc., I always specify bullet weight. e.g. "I found Unique works well with 125gn 357, and 230gn 45ACP." That sorta thing. You won't read from me: "I like W231 with 9mm." I'll specify the weight - because it matters.

I'll give you a real example with 357 Magnum: With 125gn JHP's, my pet load uses Power Pistol. It yields 1300-ish fps (4" bbl), with consistent velocities on the chronograph. It's a great performer. If I move up to 158's, I use 2400. The heavier bullet weight warrants a slower burning propellant.

I found using 2400 with 125's, although I get a velocity boost, it comes with a lot of flash, boom, and recoil and velocity consistency suffers. I don't like that. Conversely, if I load 158's with Power Pistol, although it makes for a nice consistent burner, velocity isn't what I consider adequate - barely 1100 f/s.

Bullet weight matters.
Old December 6, 2021, 02:22 PM   #6
rclark

Not any more.... But then I no longer load different weight bullets either for my six-guns. Standardized the bullet in each caliber I load for. I've also found my pet loads and just stick to them. I do use a different powder in .45 Colt when loading for the woods. So have two loads there. Green Dot for general purpose and HS-6 for the woods. As for bullets, all I shoot is lead (no jacketed or plated). 158gr SWC for .357, 240gr SWC for the .44s and 250gr RNFP/SWC for .45 Colt. One the benefits is no matter what revolver I pick up I know it will shoot to POA. Also no interest in hot loads. I like to enjoy my shooting sessions.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.

Last edited by rclark; December 6, 2021 at 02:40 PM.
Old December 6, 2021, 05:12 PM   #7
HiBC

Optimizing powder is one good reason to handload.

A Handloader certainly CAN prioritize economy of inventory as a priority,and shoot great ammo.

I load H-110 or 296 for 44 Mag,but I might load 2400.

in 5.56,I use Varget for 69 gr bullets but RE-15 for 75-77 gr loads

In 30-06,for my Garand I load H-4895,but in bolt guns I use IMR 4350 in 30-06.
Why? Because I can!!

That said,I usually find one optimum load per gun,one sight in,and go with it.
Old December 6, 2021, 05:28 PM   #8
totaldla

I have for rifles because my supply ran out and I had to work up loads with new powders.

I've gone through 5 powders for .223 and 2 for the .308.

The upside is that I discovered 8208xbr - really like the stuff.
Old December 6, 2021, 07:33 PM   #9
Mike38

For .223 light weight bullets 40-52 grain I use CFE223, and for heavier bullets 55-62 grain I use IMR3031. Every other caliber I reload I use the same powder regardless of bullet weight. .
Old December 6, 2021, 08:33 PM   #10
lll Otto lll

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmSkeeter View Post
Oddly enough the most universally successful powder across all HG platforms has been Alliant Clay Dot.....
No it's not. And except for 44 spl. Alliant doesn't even publish load data for it.
Old December 6, 2021, 08:54 PM   #11
mikejonestkd

For straight walled handgun cartridges I tend to load a few different power levels, using bullets and powders that work well with the cartridge, bullet weight and velocity desired.

For example, and this is just a rough sampling : in 9mm I load 115 gr lead bullets with Bullseye for light plinking loads, 115 or 124 gr plated with Win 231 for midrange loads, and 115 and 124 gr jacketed with power pistol when I want to get closer to the top end of the velocity scale.
Old December 7, 2021, 04:07 PM   #12
RC20

While I mixed and matched in the past, with powder not available at all (AK) I have shifted to specific powders for specific calibers.

Ergo, I built up a nice supply of H4831, that is being used in the 30-06 Target gun. It takes a lot of powder and I am happy to get 3/4 MOA.

The 6.5 Lapua I have plenty of Varget and use it across 3 bullet sizes.

270 gets H4350.

R17 is being kept in reserve.
Old December 8, 2021, 07:24 AM   #13
hooligan1

Multiple Powders =.270 Winchester

I have tested more powders for .270 winny than anything else I'd have to say.
1. Imr 4350
2. H4350
3. Rl19
4. Rl23
5. Imr 7828
6. Magpro
7. 6.5 StaBall
8. W760
9........???
The bullets that I tested with all these varies.
1. 130 grn Btip
2. 130 grn Accubond
3. 140 grn Btip
4. 140 grn Partition
5. 130 grn SBT
6. 150 grn Partition
7. 150 grn ABLR
8. 130 grn Partition

I may have some more that I cant think of...
Yes I have an Addiction to testing powders....
Old December 8, 2021, 05:21 PM   #14
RC20

There is a 12 step program for that!
Old December 8, 2021, 06:35 PM   #15
Metal god

I have my go to powder for each bullet cartridge combo but I work up loads for every possible powder bullet combo I use in each cartridge . I do this to have actual data I've tested with my firearms with most possible combinations I can use . This allows me to be low on a component and not be a limiting factor because I can go to my data notes and find other combinations of something I can use that I've already tested in my guns .

For pistol I use 6 different powders , 20+ different bullets in 5 different cartridges . You can do the math on total loads worked up . I can say this . I only started loading for handguns about 4-ish years ago and I just recently finished all those load developments . All it seemed I was doing each range trip was test and It really started getting old . I had to consciously stop testing so I could go shooting for fun rather then work for a lack of a better term .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; December 9, 2021 at 10:09 AM.
Old December 9, 2021, 09:47 AM   #16
Mike Irwin
Staff

To a small degree, yes, but primarily only with a couple of cartridges.

I'll use WW 231 with lead bullets in .357 and .41 magnums for lighter loads.

For heavier loads I'll use either AA 7 and for full bore magnums I use WW 296.

In .38 Special I use mainly WW 231 but I also use Trail Boss.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 10, 2021, 11:35 AM   #17
9mmSkeeter

“Alliant Clay Dot has been best for me…”
Quote:
Originally Posted by lll Otto lll View Post
No it's not. And except for 44 spl. Alliant doesn't even publish load data for it.
You must be new to reloading. I’d say welcome, but snarky replies like this are certainly too hasty for your experience level.

Might want to slow your role there until you have actual real world experience.

Just a tip! Another one would be not to challenge people who have obviously found what they like and are doing fine with it. That mouth is bound to get you into trouble.
Old December 10, 2021, 12:21 PM   #18
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Oddly enough the most universally successful powder across all HG platforms has been Alliant Clay Dot..."

Care to expand on that a bit? Are you talking in general, or for your purposes?

I'm not that familiar with Clay Dot. Unique has really always held that title, being an incredibly flexible powder (although one that I simply don't like).

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 10, 2021, 04:14 PM   #19
Metal god

Quote:
I'm not that familiar with Clay Dot. Unique has really always held that title, being an incredibly flexible powder (although one that I simply don't like).
That ^ all the way up to rifle loads to include 30-30 and 308 Win . I've not looked in depth of all powders but as of right now if there was only one powder I could use . Unique would be close to the top of the list even though I don't use it much . I do know I've seen it in more manuals being used in more cartridges then any other powder . Titegroup is another that I see a lot , FWIW I use Titegroup in every handgun cartridge I load 38/357 , 9mm , 44mag , 45acp .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old December 10, 2021, 04:25 PM   #20
Jim Watson

Clay Dot is an Alliant product, meant as a direct replacement for Hodgdon Clays.
I guess a market survey said it would help sales in addition to Red Dot, Green Dot, Promo, American Select, e3, and Extra Lite fast burning powders for Trap and Skeet loads.
Fill every niche, real or imagined. After all, it has been demonstrated that some reloading press owners cannot tell the difference between Clays, International Clays, and Universal Clays. So why not keep them confused with Clay Dot?

Pistol shooters have assumed that because Clay Dot is a direct replacement for Clays in shotshells, that it will duplicate pistol loads, too. But Alliant only shows Clay Dot in .44 Special, of all things. Hmm.
Old December 10, 2021, 07:06 PM   #21
pete2

I have and do but you don't have to, like to play around. I could get buy with Unique for handgun and shotgun, one of the 4831s for rifle(I only shoot .243, and .270). Oops, I'd need a 3rd powder for .223 if I load for it, might load all three with Varget.
Old December 10, 2021, 07:33 PM   #22
std7mag

Oh yeah!!

I shoot everything from 75gr Varmint bullets through 120gr Partitions in 3 different 25 caliber rifles.
I also recently picked up some Absolute Hammers to try. They reccomend using a fast for weight powder.
7mm goes from 120gr Varmint through 175gr ABLR again in 3 different cartridges.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old December 10, 2021, 08:22 PM   #23
9mmSkeeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Irwin View Post
"Oddly enough the most universally successful powder across all HG platforms has been Alliant Clay Dot..."

Care to expand on that a bit? Are you talking in general, or for your purposes?

Unique is meh. Not best at anything.

Clay Dot is amazing in 9mm. I got it during the Kerry / Bush era in 03, it was all they had.

Published or not, I don’t give a sh-t.. It’s been a love affair ever since.
Old December 10, 2021, 08:27 PM   #24
bacardisteve

Absolutely. In rifle calibers especially lightweight bullets require faster powder than heavy bullets in same caliber. Ive loaded everything from 110gr vmax to 220gr eldx in 300win.
Old December 11, 2021, 07:06 AM   #25
hooligan1

Steps?

RC20, Ive fallen down everyone of those steps....