The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 8, 2011, 08:42 AM   #1
mlchris2

Muzzleloader rifle - Barrel twist question

I am looking into purchasing a muzzleloader for hunting purposes and have some questions. From the several rifles I am looking at; one has a barrel twist of 1:48 and the others are 1:28. I know the physics behind these numbers but need to know which would suit my needs the best.

I plan on using the gun to primarily hunt elk, possibly deer. Due to state restrictions, I have to shoot a .50 cal, use #11 caps and conicals when hunting elk. For deer, depending on the hunt, I can use a combination of any caliber, primer and bullet.

Is one barrel better served for my purpose? trying to avoid buying two guns or another barrel if I don't really need to.
Old July 8, 2011, 08:46 AM   #2
Hawg

The 1:28 will be better for conicals but wont shoot round balls worth squat. The 1:48 is a fairly good middle ground that will shoot conicals and round balls pretty good but isn't the best for either one. Round balls need a twist around 1:60 or slower to perform at their best.
Old July 8, 2011, 09:06 AM   #3
mykeal

Actually you can shoot round balls quite well from a 1 in 28 ROT barrel, but that involves low power loads, not the kind of thing one wants to use on either elk or deer. If one barrel is a must for both conicals and round balls, Hawg is correct about the 1 in 48. The effect of the compromise will be to limit your accurate range with either round. What those limits will be are dictated by the gun, so you'll need to do some work developing the best load for each round.
Old July 8, 2011, 09:45 AM   #4
mlchris2

Thank you for the replies. Don't plan on shooting much round ball unless it's just for play.
Old July 8, 2011, 11:11 AM   #5
mlchris2

What about shooting sabboted round out of the 1:48 ROT barrel?

I currently hunt a short range deer hunt and I use a Model 870 with #00 buck and my range is 50 yards. Sometimes I could use out to 200yd. There are no muzzleloader restrictions in the short range hunt, meaning I could use scope, #209 primer and sabot rounds.
Old July 8, 2011, 11:36 AM   #6
Hawg

I tried them when they first came out and they all keyholed. They may be better now but the 1:28 would be better for them,
Old July 8, 2011, 01:16 PM   #7
mykeal

Theoretically it could be done, but I don't know anyone that's currently doing it. Everyone I know who's shooting sabots is using a fast twist barrel. I don't know if they tried a 1 in 48 and had poor results, like Hawg, or if they just went directly to the fast twist.
Old July 8, 2011, 01:44 PM   #8
mlchris2

hmmm. Sounds there is a little give and take between barrels.