The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 5, 2009, 04:50 AM   #1
MEATSAW

Uberti 1873 Cattleman

Are the Uberti 1873 Cattleman SA revolvers any good? I am looking for a nice looking nickel 7.5" barrel SA without having to spend a fortune on a Colt SAA. The Uberti looks good, but anyone have any first hand experience? I am going to be using it for "staged" gun fights using blanks with the Burnet Gunfighters Association this coming fall. In addition to that use I will also enjoy using it for Cowboy action shooting possibly, and of course just plinking. I want one in .45 Colt of course

PS I also posted this accidentally in the revolver forum because I did not know this forum existed...
Old May 5, 2009, 07:27 AM   #2
CaptainCrossman

I've never fired one, but I have looked at a Uberti Peacemaker in cap/ball at the gun store- appears to be a precision gun made a bit better than the other cap/ball guns by Uberti.
Old May 5, 2009, 09:43 AM   #3
M14MSgt

I have one and it's one of my best shooting CAS pistols. The cylinder pin has a tendency to come loose every now & then, but that's not a show stopper.
Old May 5, 2009, 09:50 AM   #4
ar15chase

I have a Cattleman in 44mag. It has been a great revolver, never caused me any trouble. Ammo is just to high to shoot.
A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
Old May 5, 2009, 10:11 AM   #5
simonkenton

I have one. I like it!
Old May 5, 2009, 10:47 AM   #6
arcticap

I'm sorry that when I first posted, I didn't realize that you were looking for the 7.5" barrel model. The nickeled USFA Rodeo II costs about the same as the Uberti from Taylor's after it's shipped and transferred, but the Rodeo II is not offered with the 7.5" barrel.

However, the Rodeo II also doesn't have the Uberti's brass triggerguard and backstrap.

http://www.usfirearms.com/cat/rodeo2.asp

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/produ...ngleAction.tpl

Last edited by arcticap; May 5, 2009 at 11:14 AM.
Old May 5, 2009, 11:40 AM   #7
olyinaz

I have a 5 1/2" .357 and it's my nicest shooting SA. Mine is finished very well and has lovely grips. Seemingly as with all the Italian SA/C&B revolvers the screws are pretty soft so you MUST have a good set of gunsmithing screw drivers and use exactly the right size bit if you don't want to bugger them up, but beyond that I can generally recommend the revolver very highly.

Check out the similar Stampede (often marketed as a Beretta) if you would like one with a modern transfer-bar type ignition system that will allow safe carry of six rounds.

Cheers,
Oly
Old May 5, 2009, 05:48 PM   #8
Hawg

Quote:
However, the Rodeo II also doesn't have the Uberti's brass triggerguard and backstrap.
Brass trigger guard and back strap on a 73 Cattleman since when? I've got a Cattleman and a Cimarron by Uberti both in 44-40. Finish is better on the Cimarron but both are excellent pistols. Neither have brass trigger guards or back straps.
Old May 5, 2009, 06:05 PM   #9
MEATSAW

If it does have a brass trigger guard and backstrap is that a bad thing? I am a newbie but I am trying to learn fast when in comes to "cowboy" guns
Old May 5, 2009, 06:21 PM   #10
Hawg

Quote:
If it does have a brass trigger guard and backstrap is that a bad thing? I am a newbie but I am trying to learn fast when in comes to "cowboy" guns
Not at all. Some folks like the brass and Uberti may make a model with it(not sure) but it's not the Cattleman. Cimarron is on top with stag grips. Cattleman does have case colors but they're faint and don't show up in the pic whereas the Cimarron looks all dark but it has nice case colors. These are both black powder frames meaning they have a screw in the frame under the cylinder pin to retain it instead of the spring loaded button that is usually associated with smokeless frames.
Old May 5, 2009, 06:23 PM   #11
robhof

robhof

Funny thing is brass doesn't affect the gun in any way, and on Rugers; many CAS guys I know pay big bucks to get an aftermarket brass gripframe. The only time brass makes a difference is on the C&B revolvers, when the main frame is brass which is softer than steel and tends to loosen with heavy use.
Old May 7, 2009, 07:24 AM   #12
MEATSAW

Yea, I think brass would look kinda neat on nicely finished piece, as long as it doesn't hurt it!
Old May 7, 2009, 08:31 AM   #13
Irishman

OP: I have the nickel & Ivory Uberti in .45. My favorite revolver. I have had mine for about two years and have never had any trouble with it whatsoever. It shoots great and after two years of pretty frequent use still looks pretty good. Holster wear is tough on the finish but the functionality of the gun is great.
All I can say is when I get ready to buy another one it will be a Uberti. I do wish they made , or would custom make, a matching revolver with a birdshead grip for me but...
Old May 7, 2009, 08:53 AM   #14
CraigC

I seem to recall some Uberti's that were produced with brass grip frames. Don't remember anything more specific.
Old May 7, 2009, 05:12 PM   #15
MEATSAW

I believe I saw the brass backstrap advertised at Taylor's Firearms website. It might have been on Cimarron's too.
Old May 7, 2009, 08:13 PM   #16
arcticap

I already posted the link to the brass Cattleman model above that's located on the Taylor's website. The picture has a caption describing the brass and so does the product chart.

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/produ...ngleAction.tpl

First row #700ANK, and the chart shows that all of their nickeled Cattleman models have brass triggerguards and backstraps.
I mentioned it not because it's bad, but because it's a matter of taste.
It also means that it's a two toned nickeled gun which the Rodeo II isn't.

Last edited by arcticap; May 7, 2009 at 08:20 PM.
Old May 8, 2009, 10:23 AM   #17
Eghad

I have one I have used in CAS....luv it

you will not regret purchasing one.

NRA Life Member
Old May 8, 2009, 11:58 AM   #18
Wobble

I bought a Cattleman recently but have not shot it yet (had some problems finding ammo). I am very impressed with the quality and feel of it however.

I have the Chisholm model, .45, New Model, 5 1/2", matte blue finish, checkered grip.

Uberti has 57 different versions of this gun - amazing - with all sorts of combinations of new/old model, barrel lengths, finishes, grips, and calibers. Maybe I'll try to collect them all
Old May 8, 2009, 12:27 PM   #19
H.W. French

Uberti

I currently own two Cimarron model P's (Uberti Cattleman) in 4.75 and 5.5. They are pretty nice revolvers, both in .45. They shoot well. The fit and finish of the Uberti's is on par with the Cimarron in my opinion based on the others I've seen. I got the Cim's because they were actually a little less expensive at the time. I recently aquired a USFA Rodeo and though I like the action a lot more I am sad to say the fit was not as good as that of my Cim's. I'm hoping to have that resolved. In any event you should be very pleased with the Cattleman. Shop around for your ammo, it can vary as much as $5.00-$6.00 per box of 50 between stores around here...When it's in stock!
Old May 9, 2009, 06:11 PM   #20
MarshalofFortSmith

MarshalofFortSmith

Meatsaw,
I have owned a nickel plated .45 LC 1873 S. A. Cattleman 7.5 for over two years now. I purchased it from Taylor & Company, Inc. One reason I bought it was to use it in a re-enactment group here in western Arkansas. Considering today's prices I wish I had bought another one or two back then.
It was only $360.

If you get the chance check out our website:

http://www.lawbreakersandpeacemakersinc.com

Oh, the weapon looks good, feels good, and shoots with no problems at all. I think you will like it and it will certainly be suitable for your needs. Good luck.
Old May 10, 2009, 12:22 AM   #21
MEATSAW

Quote:
I think you will like it and it will certainly be suitable for your needs. Good luck.
Marshal, thanks for the post. I really like both the Cimarron 7th CAV Scout Model P (7.5" nickel plated) and the 7.5" nickel pieces from Taylor's (I like the brass backstrap/triggerguard!). It looks like I will not be disappointed whichever I choose. I guess it will come down to price and availability when the time comes that I have the money and approval of the Mrs. I appreciate all of your guys' posts and positive contributions to the thread, I learned a lot.
Old July 26, 2011, 02:32 PM   #22
me74

i have a 357 cattleman with brass trigger gaurd and back strap. it fits my hand better than most other guns. i did hafta replace the sear and bolt spring but it is a sweet shooting gun.
Old July 26, 2011, 03:01 PM   #23
dalegribble

i have 2 uberti cattlemen and 1 uberti (cimarron) birds head thunderer, all in 45. great fit and finish on all, they work great and are surprisingly accurate with just notch sights. mine are all cc and blued and i love them. i love the nickel finish and would love to own one but don't have any personal experience with one.