The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 9, 2009, 11:28 AM   #1
peluo1

Importing a pistol????

Hello all. I have a Smith and Wesson 745 IPSC 10th anniversary .45 semi-auto pistol that I did not bring with me when I moved to the US in 1993. I am now looking to be reunited with my old pistol. I would like to know what procedure(s) should I take in trying to import the pistol? Is it even possible to do?

The country of origin is Venezuela. The president over there is an idiot and has some kind of grudge against the US, so I don't know if this will affect anyhting. But anyways, politics aside, any help regarding the importation procedures would be appreciated.
Old August 9, 2009, 05:44 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

It is possible to do so (in at least some cases), but it is not simple. The first step is to find an FFL who handles firearm imports. When you find one he'll have the information you need.
Old August 9, 2009, 08:19 PM   #3
peluo1

appreciate it.
Old August 10, 2009, 12:48 AM   #4
Casimer

You might try posting your question on targettalk.org.

Target Talk is popular among ISSF shooters, and a lot of the members travel internationally to shooting events. I've seen posts there dealing with the transfer of firearms, by their owners, between international jurisdictions (e.g. when they've moved to another country). I think that this is a little easier than the importation of a firearm that's been purchased from someone in a foreign country. But I'm not familiar with the details, or of how our current diplomatic relationship with Venezuela might affect things.

Here's a post that describes some of the issues you'd encounter if you were to purchase a firearm from someone in another country - http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...ghlight=import
Old August 11, 2009, 12:59 AM   #5
Elvishead

Quote:
The country of origin is Venezuela. The president over there is an idiot and has some kind of grudge against the US, so I don't know if this will affect anyhting. But anyways, politics aside, any help regarding the importation procedures would be appreciated.
Just a shot in the dark, but if you can't import it from Venezuela to US do to there political climate, maybe you can import it to some other country through a middle man, and have it imported from there.
Old August 11, 2009, 01:10 AM   #6
Wildalaska

Mike at ETSS can help you

http://etssincusa.com/

WildiwasinvenezuelaonceAlaska TM

Tags
.45 , import , pistol , smith and wesson