The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 12, 2024, 05:09 PM   #1
bamaranger

.223 repack and plastic ammo cans

I am in the process of loading 1000 rds plus of .223/5/56 varmint ammo. My plan is to use repack boxes from an outfit called Top Brass and place said repack boxes into the widely available .30 cal type plastic ammo cans one can buy from various sources......Harbor Freight as an example.

The repack boxes are available in 50 rd and 20 rd configuration (5x10 and 2x10). Anybody have any idea which box type will utilize the space in a .30 can the best? The literature on the repack boxes does not give dimensions.

Hard to say I realize, but I', hoping somebody here has gone this route before. My gut feeling is multiple 20 rd boxes will fit the can better than the 50 ct numbers?

I hate to take ammo you've worked up for accuracy and just dump them into the can loose.

Last edited by bamaranger; February 12, 2024 at 05:09 PM. Reason: clarity
Old February 12, 2024, 05:50 PM   #2
Shadow9mm

Boxes tend to hold moisture in my experience and you can never get a silica gel pack to stay dry. I put my bulk 223 straight into 30cal cans, they will fit 500+. For my precision ammo I use the MTM plastic ammo boxes.
Old February 12, 2024, 06:15 PM   #3
Marco Califo

I use the various plastic ammo boxes, and LABEL what I just loaded.
For cans I use steel mil-surplus 30 and 50 cal ammo cans that have a thick rupper seal and snap shut firmly. I think it was Midway that I bought a 8 pack box from. I have some plastic ammo cans, but used that for my feather fetching stuff. They do not close as securely as I wanted (cheap knock off of real USGI boxes.
Re: Top Brass in general, they sell mixed brand brass that has been processed by them. I ordered some 7.62 and they were processed but mixed headstamps. That brass is only suitable for blasting/plinking ammo in semi-autos that are hard on the brass.
Old February 12, 2024, 10:16 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

They also used to sell new brass with their head stamp. It was good stuff, and I suspect they contracted Starline to make it. But that was when Starline could still keep up with demand.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 14, 2024, 11:26 PM   #5
bamaranger

supplier

Top Brass is the supplier I am planning to purchase from, but I cannot decide whether to buy their 20 rd or 50 rd boxes. I want to get the best use of the space in a .30 can, but not sure which box will utilize the space most efficiently.

I am familiar with MTM style boxes, good stuff. Issue is, till one stores 1000 + rds in 50 rd boxes, you've spent over $100 bucks on boxes, which could be better spent on components. I don't want to simply dump loose ammo in the .30 can after ones gone to the trouble to assemble quality ammo for accuracy.
Old February 16, 2024, 09:12 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

Call and ask them the exact outside dimensions of the two sizes and measure an ammo box. You'll be able to figure out how many fit from that. If you call them, you might even get lucky and they will already know the answer from doing it themselves.

I would add, by the way, that I have seen more than one size of the plastic ammo boxes, so you might even find a best fit for each size.
Old February 16, 2024, 11:03 PM   #7
rc

Plastic boxes are rather fragile. They have a taper to them and don't fit as much as a 30 cal metal can but take up about the same amount of space. If kept in a dy place the regular metal cans are my preference. The plastic cans if you put a lot of weight in them will flex when you carry ammo and I think that lets air leak in. If you are making reloads and want grab and go packs just get some heavy duty ziplocks, squeeze the air out, drop some silica in your cans and don't worry about how long the ammo will last. It will probably outlast you.
Old February 17, 2024, 11:53 AM   #8
totaldla

I second the use of ziplock bags - takes the worry out of it.
I used GI 30cal cans back when they were cheap but also started putting a 1 gallon Ziploc freezer bag in them.
Old February 17, 2024, 12:40 PM   #9
Nathan

IME, 5.56 on strippers stacks very well in 30 or 50 type cans.

Rifle ammo fits better in 50’s.

Pistol ammo fits best loose in 30’s. Gets too heavy on 50’s.
Old February 17, 2024, 02:55 PM   #10
gns4me

Half dozen MTM plastic boxes for specialty /precision ammo. Stripper clips in Freezer zip-lock bags for range fodder. In Plastic or Metal 30/50 ammo cans LABEL ALL , DATE , LOAD
Old February 17, 2024, 03:14 PM   #11
bamaranger

calling

Calling Top Brass is a very good idea and I will do so in the near future. My ammo storage is based on the plastic .30 cans but the larger plastic cans (.50?) might be a viable option I had not considered. Dang metal cans have gotten expensive these days as well.

What I am working towards is a means to store and transport 1000-2000 rds of .223 ammo worked up for accuracy. Dumping them loose into a can then driving about for a week or so seems counter productive after trimming and uniforming cases, establishing correct overall length, and seating bullets carefully. I don't measure runout, but loosely dumping and transporting can't be doing the cartridge any good in the accuracy department.

BTW my procedure with the cheap plastic cans is to lay a sheet of plastic wrap over the mouth of the can, then latch the can shut. Don't know it it helps, but figure it can't hurt.
Old February 17, 2024, 03:25 PM   #12
Marco Califo

The metal cans last forever and seal tightly. You do not ever need to replace them. And they do not have plastic hinges to break.
Old February 17, 2024, 10:28 PM   #13
Unclenick
Staff

Also, I will add it is not a good idea to put silica or any other desiccant in with ammo. Water vapor molecules are very small and, unlike liquid water, don't have surface tension to keep them out of tight spaces. Norma's 2013 print manual shows that conventionally loaded ammunition will have its powder equalize with the storage RH over a period of about a year, and powder burn rate gets ten to twelve percent faster when bone dry as compared to storage in 80 percent RH. So desiccating cartridges will raise pressure. It may not be to a dangerous degree, but if the load was already a maximum load, it could take you into sticky bolt lift territory, and it is enough to detune a match load.

The powder companies use somewhat different storage and packing humidities, so I would call your powder's distributor and ask what storage RH they use and confirm it is the same for powder they load for load testing. Try to keep your powder in that RH. I use 60% if I don't know. If you can copy the distributor's conditions, you will be working as close to their load data numbers as you can get.
Old February 17, 2024, 10:41 PM   #14
MarkCO

I have a bunch of those from Top Brass, 50 round .223 White. The box is 5.5" x 2.8" x 2.6". Hope that helps.
Old February 18, 2024, 12:05 AM   #15
Shadow9mm

1000-2000rnds loaded for accuracy, boxed up, is gonna take up a LOT of space. Personally I would keep it to 1000rnds per container just for weight and ease of transport. Might look into the MTM ammo crates as an alternative to 50cal ammo cans.
Old February 18, 2024, 03:36 PM   #16
rc

BTW have you looked at the craft section in Walmart? They have some white translucent a other colored boxes for crafts that are the same as the dull grey or green ones you get at gun shops.
Old February 18, 2024, 07:15 PM   #17
Marco Califo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc View Post
BTW have you looked at the craft section in Walmart? They have some white translucent a other colored boxes for crafts that are the same as the dull grey or green ones you get at gun shops.
I utilize a variety of Walmart plastic containers. Shoebox sizes, up to shelf boxes, all translucent. I use for components, tools, dies, powder bottles, cleaning stuff. HFT has plastic flip top tool boxes with lane dividers that are removable. Those are perfect for keeping all dies of one caliber along with shell-holders, lock rings).
https://www.midwayusa.com/s?searchTerm=ammo%20can
Www.Harborfreight.com:
STOREHOUSE 24 Compartment Large Storage Container

Last edited by Marco Califo; February 20, 2024 at 01:33 PM.
Old February 25, 2024, 07:36 PM   #18
Heavy Metal 1

Calling and asking for ammo box measurements and thinking that will directly translate into how many you can fit into an ammo can may be misleading. Some plastic ammo boxes have knobby, protruding hinges that will limit how many boxes you can fit into a can. I have found that depending on the specific ammo boxes how many fit into an ammo can, may depend on which way they are oriented. Sometimes a combination of having one on its side and the others upright can make a difference.
Old February 25, 2024, 08:01 PM   #19
Unclenick
Staff

Yep. The dimensions you need are like those for carryon luggage for airplanes: They must include the hinges and other protrusions.
Old February 26, 2024, 10:44 PM   #20
hdwhit

Search for my post, circa 2015/6, regarding long-term storage of brass and ammunition.

I had a batch of Norma brass that was in various stages of processing when I had my first attack of Multiple Sclerosis and was away from it for roughly 20 years.

The brass (along with a small amount of previously completed ammunition) was left in a garage in North Texas for essentially 20 years.

The results may surprise you.