The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 7, 2024, 12:03 AM   #1
olduser

300 savage brass

The stuff seems to be almost unobtanium. Can make from 308 Winchester but need to trim 0.140". Anybody have a good recommendation for a trimmer that would make trimming this much easy?
I have a Lyman bench mounted trimmer but it will be slow.
Old February 7, 2024, 07:06 AM   #2
mehavey

30-40 Trim die and a Hacksaw.
Then square up w. the trimmer.
(what I did)
Old February 7, 2024, 09:47 AM   #3
rc

Isn't 30 40 rimmed and 300 savage rimless?
Old February 7, 2024, 04:08 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
30-40 Trim die and a Hacksaw.
Then square up w. the trimmer.
That won't work to make .300 Savage length brass.

.30-40 Krag is longer than the .308 Win, it won't even stick out past the end of a .30-40 trim die. Is .30-40 possibly a typo??

A powered trimmer will be faster than a hand cranked one, but be aware there are times when power and speed are not your best friend.

You're not taking off even a quarter inch. Slow and even tedious can be better than fast and powered if your adjustment setting isn't perfect, or slips.

I used a Forster trimmer for a long time, but learned (eventually) that the small set screws holding the adjustment in place could slip if I was really cranking on the handle. Trimmed some brass too short, as a result of that.

I went to the Lyman trimmer a couple decades ago, might be the trimmer, or might be me, but I haven't had any problems with it.

.300 Savage brass is out there, lots of it, its been around a long time, and isn't going away any time soon. Might not be easily available as new brass TODAY, though.

How many cases do you need? In the old days, I'd tell you to go to the gun shows and hunt for once fired brass there. These days, that option is closed for a lot of us. If there are still shows where you live, they're your best bet, if there's nothing to be found on the interweb...

Posting want ads at your local gun clubs and gunshops isn't a bad idea, either.

Do be aware that if you form your brass from something else, internal case capacity can be different and loads need to be carefully worked up in the converted brass.
Old February 8, 2024, 12:01 AM   #5
mehavey

My brain freeze -- 308 Win
(See https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...99&postcount=1)

(I've got Krag on the brain for some reason)
Old February 8, 2024, 12:36 AM   #6
math teacher

Over 30 years ago I ground the handle off my Lyman Universal Trimmer, then turned the shaft down to a quarter inch. Hook up a variable speed drill motor and you have a power trimmer on which you control the speed. Several years later Lyman came out with the same thing. It has been offered separately to convert their trimmer. Some other hand crank trimmers can also be converted that way,
Old February 8, 2024, 03:43 AM   #7
Mike / Tx

Well for my 360 Buckhammer brass I used a similar product as this,
https://elite3ddesign.com/collection...-auto-ejecting

I borrowed the little saw from a coworker who had it for his 300BO and knocked out a couple hundred cases in about 20min.

Whichever means you use, consider annealing the mouth of the cases before sizing and trimming.
Old February 8, 2024, 09:14 AM   #8
snoeproe

The Lee case length gage and cutter makes for an inexpensive and effective trimer.
Old February 10, 2024, 03:01 PM   #9
Pathfinder45

If I was in this situation, I would be bidding on these: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1034418758
It's great when you can use reformed cases out of neccessity.... I've run a lot of 30-'06 brass in my 270 until I eventually got sufficient genuine 270 Winchester brass.
Eventually, you'll have plenty of the correct brass too. But until then, it's good to be able to make do with what you can convert from other brass. When I was a kid back in the '60's, growing up in the Redwoods, the 300 Savage was very common and popular. Times have changed....sometimes for the better...many times not.
Old February 10, 2024, 03:48 PM   #10
Scorch

Buy a form/trim die. You push the case into the die, it forms the die, the excess sticks out the top. Press it into the form die, hit it with a file, deburr, and you're done.
Old February 10, 2024, 07:41 PM   #11
Pathfinder45

I was just looking for some 300 Savage brass that I know I have somewhere....but haven't found it on my first attempt....Oh, well, it'll turn up when no one needs it....
I like the low-tech Lee case trimmers...chuck 'em up in a drill and have at it! Probably never need real 300 Savage brass, but it'll come your way over time if you keep looking. Tell us about the rifle you are needing it for.
Old February 11, 2024, 04:26 PM   #12
FrankenMauser

Having trimmed up to .350" off of cases in the past, I suggest a very aggressive initial trim.
Like a trim die and a hacksaw. Or a piloted end mill.