The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 17, 2024, 09:16 PM   #1
ronl

Remington 29

Friend asked me to look at an old model 29 Remington shotgun with a problem. The entire system is locked up. I cannot rack it or move it at all. Tried to remove the barrel/magazine but no luck whatsoever. I removed the trigger and buttstock to get a look at the inside thinking I could remove the bolt, but cannot uncouple the slide from the bolt. The butt stock was loose when I got the gun. I fear someone pulled the internals out and did not properly reassemble the firearm. Got me stumped here. Any secret to releasing the slide from a jammed bolt? Any help would be appreciated.
Old January 17, 2024, 10:08 PM   #2
Lurch37

It's unloaded right, no shell in the chamber.

It looks like it is similar to a take down Winchester where you turn the magazine a bit, pull it out a little and the twist the the barrel/magazine assembly and it all comes out of the receiver.

Can you get the magazine to turn?
Old January 18, 2024, 08:50 AM   #3
stuckinthe60s

at mark 0.51 shows the takedown lever in the mag tube........
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOgawtDu0oM
note he said if parts break inside the receiver, its toast to find parts. note trigger went out with stock.
good luck.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old January 18, 2024, 11:16 PM   #4
ronl

Think the spring beneath the action bar lock broke and a piece of it is lodged either behind the paddle or bolt body not allowing the bolt to come out properly. I am wondering if the barrel bushing is properly installed. Wish I had x-ray vision. I cannot remove the action bar so I am unable to get the barrel assembly or the bolt out properly. I am able to properly unlock the magazine, and the bolt will slide perhaps an inch now, but cannot unlock the the action bar. Frustrating, to say the least.
Old January 19, 2024, 06:39 AM   #5
stuckinthe60s

A ball peen works every time!
i stopped spending time on cases like that a long time ago. its a good pastime indeed. and it exercises genius cells....but for a gun thats obsolete and will never give back a profit or be supported with parts.....honestly, its why the model 31 was invented. just my 2 cents.

life story. my buddy loved 64 for thunderbirds. swore some day he'd own one. well, one day we went to a for sale ad to look at one and it was beat and rusted out. its one of those cars that would spend a few years in the garage and some cold nights under it trying to save it. he was all happy and asked what i thought.
i told him...' a 64 thunderbird is a beautiful car, but not this one.'

there are guns just like that. seriously, good luck and think out the end game. because in the end, after you succeed, you will just have an old beat up model 29 when youre done.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner

Last edited by stuckinthe60s; January 19, 2024 at 06:49 AM.