The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 23, 2019, 01:27 PM   #1
stagpanther

QL Update

I contacted neconas (sp) the other day to find out if there was update to the powder and bullet database and was told yes--the latest one was up to date as of dec 2018.

I received the CD and updated my QL program; and did notice there were quite a few new bullets added to the database which is nice--but was disappointed in the powders database--didn't seem like it was really all that up to date--especially the Hodgdon powders. Also there is a *c and *T that appears after many of the powders--does anyone know what that means? thanks
Old March 23, 2019, 02:34 PM   #2
30Cal

I've been working under the impression that the *T powders are the temp stable ones.
Old March 23, 2019, 03:18 PM   #3
stagpanther

Quote:
I've been working under the impression that the *T powders are the temp stable ones.
Makes sense--I guess I'll e-mail to find out what the *C means--I didn't find an explanation in the read-me stuff.
Old March 23, 2019, 03:25 PM   #4
Rimfire5

The C designation seems to indicate that they are reduced copper fouling powders - e.g. CFE and the Enduron powders.

From the powders that have the T designation after them, they seem to all be "Extreme Powders" that is they are temperature insensitive to varying degrees.
For the powders with the T designation, you don't use the temperature adjustment feature in QuickLOAD.
For the powders without the T designation, hit the temperature button and then adjust the temperature from QuickLOAD's 70 deg. F. default setting.

The Hodgdon site has some information on the differences in temperature sensitivity of their powders.
Varget is the most insensitive - something like 4 fps variation over the range of 0 and 125 degrees F. for .308s according to Hornady.
H4895 is close with 8 fps over the same range according to Hornady.
IMR4166 Enduron is about 20 fps for the same range.

The temperature sensitive powders like IMR4895 are on the order of 150 fps for the same temperature range.
Old March 23, 2019, 03:46 PM   #5
Marco Califo

I am curious what the slowest powder they have data for? I have a jug of WC872 and do not expect to load any 20mm Vulcan. I've used it in 308 with an accellerant. And want to try 7mm08 with 175 gr.
Old March 23, 2019, 04:21 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

WC872 is a bulk grade powder from the GD plant in St. Marks, FL. I don't find any canister grade powders based on it. However, Jeff Bartlett (assuming that's where you got it) says you can use data for the obsolete H870, which QL already has in its database. The only caution is that if your lot didn't come from Bartlett, being a bulk grade powder, it will have more lot-to-to lot burn rate variation than canister grade powders sold for reloading do, so work loads up carefully.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 23, 2019, 04:50 PM   #7
stagpanther

Quote:
The C designation seems to indicate that they are reduced copper fouling powders - e.g. CFE and the Enduron powders.

From the powders that have the T designation after them, they seem to all be "Extreme Powders" that is they are temperature insensitive to varying degrees.
For the powders with the T designation, you don't use the temperature adjustment feature in QuickLOAD.
For the powders without the T designation, hit the temperature button and then adjust the temperature from QuickLOAD's 70 deg. F. default setting.

The Hodgdon site has some information on the differences in temperature sensitivity of their powders.
Varget is the most insensitive - something like 4 fps variation over the range of 0 and 125 degrees F. for .308s according to Hornady.
H4895 is close with 8 fps over the same range according to Hornady.
IMR4166 Enduron is about 20 fps for the same range.

The temperature sensitive powders like IMR4895 are on the order of 150 fps for the same temperature range.
Great info--thanks for that. I'm familiar with a few powders at either extreme of temperature sensitivity since Maine is an environment where I can be out shooting from anywhere between below zero in the winter up to 90 in the summer. I wonder why the copper fouling factor is included--is that potentially a variable in velocity depending on bullet type?

Last edited by stagpanther; March 23, 2019 at 06:03 PM.
Old March 23, 2019, 05:26 PM   #8
Marco Califo

Thanks Unclenick, that is exactly what I was asking. I got it from Bartlett or Wideners. Yes, lots vary. But I think Kingsford BBQ charcoal is the only thing slower burning. So, I would find Quickload useful. But, I just got some slower powders (slower than 223/308): Re 16, Re 19, PowerPro 2000 & 4000. Are data for those in the updated Quickload? And the newer IMRs?
Old March 23, 2019, 06:11 PM   #9
stagpanther

the alliant power pros are not in the newer database--4 of the newer endurons are (4166, 4451,4955 and 7977). The hogdon database looks smaller to me--though I can't say for sure what's missing, though I don't see many new ones--even ones that have been out for years.
Old March 23, 2019, 06:22 PM   #10
Rimfire5

stagpanther,

From my experience with CFE223 and the Enduron powders - IMR4166 and IMR4551, that I have used a lot lately, I find that they clean up quicker than the older powders.

I still use Patch Out or Wipe Out, which mildly take out copper, after every range session so I can't claim that the powder's really keep copper build up down. There is still considerable blue on the first patch after a patch/wipe out treatment.

Marco Califo,
QuickLOAD v3.9 has the IMR Enduron powders as part of the latest update. It has had RL-16 and and RL-19 for sometime. RL-16 is listed with a C and T designation, by the way.

I don't remember seeing PowerPro powders.
I sort of rememeber that Unclenick had once posted that they were listed under a different manufacturer - maybe a European name. My memory isn't all that good anymore.
Old March 23, 2019, 06:31 PM   #11
Marco Califo

Thanks. Many Alliant powders come from Sweden, Re15, AR Comp, and I think newer Re-teens.
Old March 23, 2019, 06:57 PM   #12
std7mag

Alas, the version i have seems to already have the IMR powders mentioned, along with RL16, RL23, RL26.

If it does not have Alliant Power Pro series then i'm not getting this update.
Seems a shame, since the PP series was out before the IMR powders.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old March 23, 2019, 07:03 PM   #13
stagpanther

Quote:
Seems a shame, since the PP series was out before the IMR powders.
And they are very good powders, I use them a lot.
Old March 23, 2019, 08:36 PM   #14
std7mag

Oh, by the way, i figured i would do a general posting on here, since it's already been brought up, and i've already been accused of attacking people today.

T= temp stability. I couldn't care less!
People worrying about temp stability tells me that 1) you don't shhot enough in different types of weather, and 2) your not keeping proper notes to have a complete dope sheet.
For a hunting situation, my real world experience with temp instable powders has been 2" at 400 yards.
For a target situation, you get sighter shots. So why do you care?

C=anti copper. Again, couldn't care less.
After you use "X" brand of copper remover till your hands are bloody ( i know an exageration) the first thing you do is "fouling shots". What your really doing is putting copper back in the bore. It helps smooth out the rough spots and helps seal.
I worked hard to put that copper there. Leave it be!

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old March 23, 2019, 08:58 PM   #15
Marco Califo

Temp stability and copper prevention are MARKETING things. Will not affect the loads QL will recommend. I would much rather have more powders data.
Old March 23, 2019, 09:00 PM   #16
stagpanther

7mag--It's OK--you can just pretend there not there.

I do wish the powder database were more complete, some of the excluded ones have been out for years.