The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 1, 2009, 10:40 PM   #1
azredhawk44

Lee Autodisk versus Lee Pro Autodisk?

I've migrated to Lee dies from RCBS over the last several years, and been very happy with them. I've found myself shooting lead bullets more often rather than plated or jacketed, and as a result I've found it necessary to bell my case mouths... I used to skip this step when shooting plated/jacketed bullets.

As a result, I'm considering combining the case mouth belling and powder throw steps using the Lee Autodisk system which mounts above the die.

Looking on Lee's site, I get the impression that it isn't exactly the most granular system... it seems to lack a lot of flexibility.

They also used a word I really dislike WRT powder measures... "elastomer." I used to have a "Perfect" Powder Measure in which the elastomer wiper ripped and started throwing inaccurate and dangerous charges.

Considering how much I disliked the Lee PPM, am I likely to be pleased by the Autodisk?

What does the Pro version of the Autodisk offer that the standard version lacks?

My intent with this is to make loading 9mm/38sp/357mag/44sp/44mag/45acp a bit easier, and will probably be integrated into a turret press I have sitting idle under my bench... I currently use a single stage RockChucker.

Thanks for the input in advance!
Old February 1, 2009, 10:57 PM   #2
dmcpherson1

Lee Autodisk

I have seen a post on another forum that states you can mount an RCBS measure on the Lee system in place of the autodisk.
I'm going to order the linkage ($80) and see how to make it work.
The RCBS measure is sure a lot nicer that the Lee.
KImber Ultra Raptor II
Old February 2, 2009, 02:40 PM   #3
CrustyFN

The pro measure is well worth the extra money. The difference is the pro is Teflon coated in the bottom half, the hopper will turn off with a quarter turn to make disk changing easier and comes with the swivel adapter already on the measure. If you are going to use it on the turret press then you will also want to get the auto disk riser if you are using the safety prime. My pro auto dask has been very accurate for me and I have found good accurate loads with the standard disk's. I am using mostly ball type powders and have heard it is not as accurate with powders like Unique but I hear most measures aren't.
Rusty
Old February 2, 2009, 07:02 PM   #4
D. Manley

Quote:
The pro measure is well worth the extra money. The difference is the pro is Teflon coated in the bottom half, the hopper will turn off with a quarter turn to make disk changing easier and comes with the swivel adapter already on the measure. If you are going to use it on the turret press then you will also want to get the auto disk riser if you are using the safety prime. My pro auto dask has been very accurate for me and I have found good accurate loads with the standard disk's. I am using mostly ball type powders and have heard it is not as accurate with powders like Unique but I hear most measures aren't.
+1, if you are considering the Lee Disk system it's a no-brainer. In addition to Rusty's comments, the "Pro" version also has nice, brass, thumbscrews which will last indefinitely instead of the cheesy sheet metal screws that don't.
Old February 3, 2009, 02:35 PM   #5
totalloser

I've rolled about 25k using my Pro Autodisc on a LM, and the only problems I have found is the nuts needed to be cranked down fairly tight to prevent powder sneaking under the nylon wiper, and inability to drop large charges. Make your own "wings" for a triple disc and that one is solved, though.

The case flaring feature is really nice, and very flexible. I had to buy a rifle charging die, but all my Lee pistol dies came with the appropriate flare/charge die. Only problems I had with this were due to improper adjustment.

Oh, but I have heard that large flake powders don't meter well in it, and stick powders have trouble with the wiper. I only currently use ball powders-win748, blc-2 and AAno5.
Old February 3, 2009, 10:58 PM   #6
aerod1

My Pro Auto Disk has worked great on my LCT. It throws accurate consistant loads and doesn't leak. I really like it's simplicity.
U.S. Navy Veteran (USS Midway V-1 Division)
Old February 4, 2009, 12:53 AM   #7
scsov509

I'm another fan of the Pro-Auto Disk setup, and found that even on my Pro 1000 it consistently is within .1 grains on every powder I use including flakes like Unique. With powders like W231, AA#5, and TAC or H335; I've found that it is pretty much on the money with little to no variation at all.
Old February 4, 2009, 11:07 PM   #8
benzuncle

Everything posted about the Pro Auto setup is spot on. I upgraded to it when I bought my Lee Classic Turret Press. The only thing I added was the Charge Bar for those "in between" loads. The Charge Bar works well for working up loads in small increments for my 45acp and 357sig loads but does not work with small charges like a 380.
Old February 5, 2009, 05:18 PM   #9
scsov509

Quote:
The Charge Bar works well for working up loads in small increments for my 45acp and 357sig loads but does not work with small charges like a 380.
The Micro-Disk works pretty well for those smaller charges provided you use something that meters with consistency.