The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 9, 2020, 10:41 PM   #1
Tex S

Sierra 55gr. HPBT vs Barnes 62gr TTSX

Hey guys...

Been awhile since I have been on the forum. Hope everybody has been well!

Just picked up a Rossi R223YBS (single shot youth rifle) for my 8 year old kid. A buddy of mine gave it to me and there was no manual. Looks like the rifle is currently discontinued so I can’t find any specs on it anywhere. This will be my kids first centerfire rifle. I’m trying to get him in a position to where he can take a North Texas doe this year; small critters... 80 or 90lbs on the hoof. We are overrun with feral hogs, so I told him if he can drop one of those first I’ll set him up on a whitetail.

Anyway, with ammo being impossible to find I’ll have to load something up for him. I have some 62gr Barnes TTSX bullets which I would love to use, but I’m not sure if the twist rate in this rifle will stabilize them (Barnes says 1-9 or faster). I also have some Sierra 55gr HPBT.

2 questions... does anybody know the twist rate on this rifle? Also, can anybody speak to the toughness of the Sierra bullet? I’ve never tried any of them but I’m assuming they are more for varmints as opposed to a deeper penetrating bullet like the TTSX.

Any powder recommendations would be helpful too. Thanks guys!!!

Oh, and by the way, I really dont want to get into the whole “223 isn’t enough gun for whitetail” thing. Our shots will be on small animals at less than 100yds.
Old November 9, 2020, 11:12 PM   #2
kilotanker22

Varget, Power Pro Varmint and BL-C(2) are y favorite powders for the 223. That Sierra bullet would probably be ok for neck and head shots on deer and hogs. Not sure I would take body shots with that bullet though. The Barnes Bullet would probably work well for either application.

Most of the Rossi 223 rifles are 1:12 or 1:10 twist.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old November 10, 2020, 02:21 AM   #3
Geezerbiker

It's probably one in 12 twist but the best way would be to check it with a cleaning rod with tight patch on a jag. Put a masking tape flag on the rod and see how far you have to pull it to get a full turn.

As I recall the Rossi is a Handirifle knock off so much of the information should be applicable.

If I were loading for it, I'd use a 55g bonded or partition bullet.

Tony