The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 24, 2020, 06:52 PM   #1
Tailspin

Reloading Manuals

I am new to this hobby, shooting vintage rifles that is … and I am loving it!

I have a Schmidt–Rubin K11 (7.5x55), Swedish Mauser M96 (6.5x55) and looking for a 1909 Argentine Mauser (7.65x53).

I want to start reloading for these rifles, my question is: what “reloading manuals” have reloading data for these cartridges?

Paul

Last edited by Tailspin; October 24, 2020 at 09:30 PM.
Old October 24, 2020, 07:15 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

Welcome to tfl!

About all comprehensive manuals list data for those cartridges. Perhaps the very newest ones might not, but all 3 were in the main section of the 2007 Hornady book, I don't have a newer one...

and, that would be Swedish Mauser M96 (6.5x55mm) not Swiss...
Old October 24, 2020, 07:45 PM   #3
105kw

The newest Hornady manual I have is the 9th edition from 2012.
It shows all three of your cartridges in it.
Good luck, have fun reloading.
Old October 24, 2020, 08:15 PM   #4
FITASC

Hodgdon online has date for all three as well.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 25, 2020, 01:32 PM   #5
Tailspin

Thanks for the information, my research is ongoing, and I am learning a lot.

I am really enjoying vintage open sight rifles; I have been shooting pistols for many years, shooting open sight vintage rifles out 200 and 300 yards and beyond has got me hooked.

I have never reloaded anything; it looks like vintage rifles go with vintage manuals … its hard to know what is in the manuals without buying them and I am trying to avoid buying 8 manuals and putting 6 under the work bench.

Paul
Old October 25, 2020, 01:58 PM   #6
Geezerbiker

I have a bunch of that old Argentine ammo but it's a bit corroded and not safe to shoot. You could pull the bullets, run them though a tumbler and load them. I also have a dozen old but never fired boxer primed cases that you'd be able to shoot and reload. They're yours for the cost of postage.

BTW, the Hornady manual has good coverage for less than common round. I load the 7.5x55 too but for a K31.

Tony
Old October 25, 2020, 08:52 PM   #7
BJung

To me, you only need one reloading manual and then rely on the internet. This a Swiss Rifle Club in California and I'm sure they can provide you with about any information you need. A lot of Shooters use the Swedish Mauser so you'll find a lot of load data online too. I haven't run across so many 7.65 Belgian Mauser shooters. Hornady has lists it in their book, along with the Swedish Mauser and the Schmidt Ruben.
Old October 25, 2020, 09:00 PM   #8
FITASC

Quote:
Thanks for the information, my research is ongoing, and I am learning a lot.

I am really enjoying vintage open sight rifles; I have been shooting pistols for many years, shooting open sight vintage rifles out 200 and 300 yards and beyond has got me hooked.

I have never reloaded anything; it looks like vintage rifles go with vintage manuals … its hard to know what is in the manuals without buying them and I am trying to avoid buying 8 manuals and putting 6 under the work bench.

Paul
Start with Hodgdon online, then if you decide on a particular bullet maker, buy their manual
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 27, 2020, 09:41 AM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

Moving to Handloading.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.