The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 4, 2009, 12:49 AM   #1
Tex S

LSWC, LRN, or LRNFP???

Just started loading 45 auto. I want to try some lead bullets from Dardas Cast, but I'm not real sure which ones to purchase. I will be using W231 as my propellant, and all the rounds will be fired through 1911 style pistols.

I am looking for an accurate plinking load that will not create any feeding problems. I have been using 230gr fmj's with great success, but now that I am handloading alot more different bullet weights and styles have presented themselves.

I want to stay with 200 or 230 gr bullets. What are the benefits/drawbacks of the three different styles of lead bullets listed below?

1) Semi-wadcutter

2) Round nose

3) Round nose flat point

I seem to hear great things about Dardas. Any of you guys use their bullets?
Old February 4, 2009, 05:54 AM   #2
NuJudge

Each pistol has likes & dislikes

The RN bullets may feed best, but the holes they leave in paper are indistinct, and hard to read without a plug gauge. I've always gotten less accuracy with RN than SWC bullets. I set the Seat die by screwing the seating die stem down on a ball cartridge. No crimp has been necessary in my experience, but some persons use a little, and you must get rid of the belling of the case mouth that allowed seating.

The SWC bullets a little difficult as to seating depth, but once you have it down they shoot really well and leave nice crisp holes in the the target. There are some SWC designs with a really short nose that were common 40 years ago, and my .45 won't feed them. The Lyman 452460 and H&G 68, and their clones, usually feed well in most any .45. H&G is out of business, and their design varied over time, but here is a clone of theirs that I've shot a lot of:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=378487
The Lyman 452460 shoots really well for me:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=583831
Setting Seating depth is a little difficult here. My first effort is to set the shoulder of the bullet showing a fingernail-width of Lead over the top of the case. Some persons will, as a first effort, simply screw the Seating die stem down on a Ball cartridge. Again, get rid of the case mouth belling, but no crimp has been necessary in my experience.

There's not much difference between a RNFP and a RN, except that the RNFP is usually heavier and loaded in revolver cartridges, not autos.

I like to have a lot of case neck tension with all my cast bullet loads, to make it difficult for the chambering to ram the bullet deeper into the case. EGW markets an undersize case sizing die that gives you this.

Make sure the bullets you buy are the right diameter. I have a .451" groove diameter. I use .452" bullets. A .452" bullet seated in a .45 acp case has no difficulty chambering in my pistol. If a bullet big enough to fit your groove diameter, when seated in a .45acp case, will not fit freely into your chamber, you are effectively limited to jacketed bullets only.

Using Lead bullets, you will get lubricant build-up on your Seating die, which will gradually increase your Seating depth, reducing over all length. Watch for this and clean your die as necessary. Only the Dillon Seating die allows disassembly for cleaning without loss of adjustment.

I like 231 and Bullseye, but others work too.
Old February 4, 2009, 06:33 AM   #3
PDshooter

I been shooting a H&G68 bullet for 20yrs. About 208GR wt. With 5.3grs W231
Just a great all around load.

Oh, yea, I also cast bullets too!
Shoot Shovel Shut-up!
Old February 4, 2009, 09:40 PM   #4
Tex S

Thanks Judge and Shooter... thats good info.
Old February 4, 2009, 10:37 PM   #5
tbtrout

I use the Dardas 200 SWC with 5.3 gr of Win 231. Works Great in my 1911's and Sig 220
Old February 4, 2009, 11:00 PM   #6
LHB1

LSWC bullets of 200 grains of the H&G 68 type have been a favorite for many years in 1911's. They typically feed great, shoot great, and cut nice clean holes in the target. They are the only bullets I shoot in my target guns.
Old February 4, 2009, 11:30 PM   #7
OldShooter

LSWC

I have used Oregon Laser Cast 200 gr LSWC with 5.3 gr of W231 with good results in both my 1911 and CZ97B.
Old February 5, 2009, 09:37 AM   #8
schmeky

200 LSWC all the way, feeds flawlessly in all my .45's, super accurate, cuts a perfect hole on paper, and they are a little more economical.

I agree with others on the WW231, excellent propellant for a .45 using the 200 LSWC.
Old February 5, 2009, 09:52 AM   #9
Sevens

Yep, buy yourself a 100 count bag of the H&G 68, 200 grain LSWC and load them up and see if your pistol likes them. If it does, then it is THE cast lead .45 bullet you'll use for the rest of your days.

Only in the event that it doesn't feed do you even bother goofing with the others.

My pistol (AMT Hardballer Longslide) likes them pushed by 4.4 grains of Bullseye, or 5.1 to 5.4 grains of Titegroup. I'm running an 18# Wilson spring.