The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 2, 2011, 06:54 AM   #1
American Made

.358 Winchester or .338 Federal?

I found a smokin' deal on this Ruger Hawkeye( blue/wood) in .358 Winchester yesterday. For some reason it's on sale for 549.00. Figure the price/lack of ammo would scare folks away( at least the ones that don't reload). The rifle is new and has wonderful fit and finish.

I had thought my mind was made up Now this .358 Win walked into my life! My enjoyable Saturday night watching Alabama vs Florida was hindered by .338 fed vs .358 Win.

Haven't made the leap just yet....but, I'm really fighting to hold on. Should I stop my search for the .338 Fed and just buy the .358 Win? I really need to make my mind up today because that rifle will be gone very soon

Whatever rifle is chosen.. it'll be my spring bear gun.
Old October 2, 2011, 07:00 AM   #2
mete

Grab it !!

The 338 federal is made with specially made primer and powder which you can't achieve with standard powder and primers !

Talk to people that have hunted with 30-30 and 35 Rem .They will all tell you that the 35 Rem is better even though the two are close on paper .
The 358 is just a 35 Rem on steroids ,bigger bore does make a difference .Since the 35 Rem works well on black bear the 358 will work even better. Though not so popular [don't know why] the 358 has been around for years . But the 338 Fed is already spoken as a soon to be discarded.
Old October 2, 2011, 09:06 AM   #3
cornbush

My brother has the stainless synthetic Hawkeye in .358 win, I would grab it and run......
The recoil is very easy to take, accuracy is great and performance on game is great, it's just one of those that works much better than paper says it should.
The only time you might be disappointed is if you try some really long shots, but thats not what it was made for.
Keep it inside 400 yards and it will do anything you want.
Brass can be made by simply necking up .308, and correct brass can still be found easily and reasonably priced.
Old October 2, 2011, 10:21 AM   #4
black mamba

Definitely grab it and run! I would work up loads with the 200 gr Hornady Interlock SP-- it will give you good velocity and trajectory, and is a tough bullet for larger game at the velocities you'll be getting. 2600+ fps is doable with IMR-3031.
Old October 2, 2011, 10:31 AM   #5
taylorce1

The .358 Win is an underrated cartridge that will do everything a .338 Federal will do. However after owning one it is definitely a hand loader only proposition. Luckily that is not a problem for me, and I like the cartridge so much that I'm considering another rifle in it.

The only down side to the .358 Win is the lack of bullet options for it, but there are enough bullets that you should find one that works for you. I'd say buy it and enjoy it and later on if you find a deal on a .338 Fed buy it as well. I own a .338-06 and .35 Whelen, I like the .338 a little better but the Whelen has a larger cool factor.
Old October 2, 2011, 02:44 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

If you reload, buy the .358.

If you don't reload, don't buy either one. You'll be stuck in a world with no ammo.
Old October 2, 2011, 05:01 PM   #7
Crankylove

Quote:
If you don't reload, don't buy either one. You'll be stuck in a world with no ammo.
Yep. Midway will be your source for factory ammo.......and it will bleed your wallet dry pretty quick.

I can reload my .358 Winchester for not much more than .270 or '06, which is good, cause I have never seen a round of factory ammo in any of our local stores, and although they can order it for me, I can reload it for 1/4 of the price they want, or less.

My .358 will launch 200 gr bullets at 2,500-2,600 fps, and 250's at around 2,200-2,300 fps, and as Cornbush said, if you can't find factory brass, its easily formed from .308........with no trimming required.

Reloading for the .338 Federal can be done, but you can't duplicate the loads from the factory with powders available to the public. So, you may be stuck with factory ammo only if you go that route, unless you want reloads that fall a few hundred fps slower than the factory stuff.
Old October 2, 2011, 05:35 PM   #8
taylorce1

Quote:
The 338 federal is made with specially made primer and powder which you can't achieve with standard powder and primers !
and

Quote:
Reloading for the .338 Federal can be done, but you can't duplicate the loads from the factory with powders available to the public. So, you may be stuck with factory ammo only if you go that route, unless you want reloads that fall a few hundred fps slower than the factory stuff.
These statements are no longer true, there are loads out there that will get you within 50 FPS and in some cases exceed factory velocities. IMR 8028XBR, TAC, and 2000MR are just a few powders that if they prove to be accurate at max load will will exceed factory MV in the .338 Fed. Plus there is no reason that these powders wouldn't work just as well in the .358 Win to make it really shine.
Old October 2, 2011, 10:12 PM   #9
Crankylove

Quote:
These statements are no longer true, there are loads out there that will get you within 50 FPS and in some cases exceed factory velocities.
I had no idea. Thats good new for the .338 Federal reloaders.
Old October 3, 2011, 01:07 AM   #10
ligonierbill

Surprised no one has mentioned that you can put light loads using .357 pistol bullets through it. One advantage of the .35 bore. Both handloader cartridges, but then some of us think they all are. I'd go get it.
Old October 3, 2011, 05:23 PM   #11
longranger

I would go with .338 Federal in a minute just for the outstanding bullet selection.35 Cal not so much. Near or at 338-06 performance,I use the .338-06 quite extensively and it is what the 30-06 should have been.
Old October 3, 2011, 07:12 PM   #12
American Made

I'm happy to report that my new .358 Win is ready for her new scope

I'd like to thank everyone for the help!

And.....I'm also happy to report that my wife doesn't like it! That is some really good music to my ears.....because....it's all mine.
Old October 3, 2011, 09:53 PM   #13
FrankenMauser

Excellent news. The last few I've brought home were greeted with good comments from the wife. I'm still wondering when she'll try to take one over.
Old October 4, 2011, 11:54 AM   #14
GeauxTide

Now, get you some of those Hornady Interlocks mentioned earlier. In my 338-06, they shoot wonderfully.