The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old August 8, 2021, 02:40 PM   #1
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Powder coating?

Debating on powder coating cast bullets vs. Alox. I have a small bottle of Lee Liquid (HAH!) Alox I'm going to play with. I've read conflicting reviews about using Harbor Fright's powder coat powder for bullets. Has anyone had any first-hand experience with powder coating bullets?
Jeepaholic
Old August 8, 2021, 03:45 PM   #2
totaldla

LLA is a whole lot less work than powder coating. If I couldn't buy HiTek-coated bullets, I would go back to 45/45/10* tumble lubing.

*Alox, Johnson's paste wax, orderless mineral spirits
Old August 8, 2021, 09:59 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Powder coating has been an ongoing subject in the bullet casting forum, so I'll move this thread there.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 8, 2021, 10:48 PM   #4
Geezerbiker

While I've never done it myself, a friend PC'd a bunch of bullets for my .300 blackout. I'm impressed with the results. The bore is very clean after firing and the rounds don't gather lint or other dirt and grit.

Having my own powder coating set up has been on my agenda for way too long. From what I've seen of the results, it's worth the effort...

Tony
Old August 8, 2021, 10:52 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Based on YouTube videos, the "setup" seems to be a plastic food storage container with a lid, a dust mask, and an old toaster over from Goodwill.

I have all that except the powder. The real question in my question was the Harbor Freight part -- people who have bought the pricey PC from Eastwood seem to universally report good results. Harbor Freight's powders -- not so much. There's a Harbor Freight near me so it would be very convenient to just pop in there and buy the stuff (not to mention a lot cheaper), so I'm really looking for people with experience using the Harbor Freight powders.
Jeepaholic
Old August 9, 2021, 07:00 AM   #6
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
Debating on powder coating cast bullets vs. Alox. I have a small bottle of Lee Liquid (HAH!) Alox I'm going to play with. I've read conflicting reviews about using Harbor Fright's powder coat powder for bullets. Has anyone had any first-hand experience with powder coating bullets?
Harbor Freight Red was alright if using a static gun to apply it. However, it does not work very well if using a shake process... not good coverage and abrades the lead bullets turning the Red into Maroon. I have found that Powder by the Pound's Sky Blue to be one of the best... almost 100% coverage.

I have cast, powder coated thousands of bullets... .38 Spl., 9mm, .38 Super, 30 M1 Carbine, .44 Spl., .45 ACP, .32 S&W Long. There are advantages and disadvantages of powder coating verses other lubes. However, I don't think that there are many casters who have abandoned powder coating to return to using traditional lubes.
https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/render...IFE&res=medium
https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/render...IFE&res=medium

Last edited by dahermit; August 9, 2021 at 08:21 AM.
Old August 9, 2021, 08:11 AM   #7
stagpanther

Quote:
Is this for your 22lr cast bullets? Probably a different performance frame of reference there than with other pistol bullets.
Old August 9, 2021, 08:57 AM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

This is for the .22 bullets my friend casts, and also the 30-grain .22 bullets I buy from North American Arms.
Jeepaholic
Old August 9, 2021, 09:20 AM   #9
reddog81

1 pound of powder coat will go a loooooong way. It's worth it to buy a quality PC and do it right. HF red is mediocre at best. I've tried to use HF black but it's very temperamental and highly dependent on humidity and following all the directions to the letter.

I've had great success using PC from Smoke4320 from the cast boolit forum. If you want a small sample mailed out for free, PM me your address.

I tried Lee Liquid Alox when I started casting and would go back to Harbor Freight black PC before trying that again. I had leading with every caliber I tried after minimal numbers of rounds downrange.
Old August 9, 2021, 10:19 AM   #10
mehavey

1. 223-caliber PC'g is "graduate" work because the change in ogive dimensions demands careful attention (re)determining Distance-to-Lands and seating dimensions.

Barring that.....

2. PC'g is very fast/repeatable/simple once set up with a calibrated Oven (maybe PC-controlled); a tupperware bowl; some Airsoft beads; and good (e.g., Eastwood) PC

That said.
THIN*-Film LLA/ALOX/baked 2-hours at 235 and air-dried a couple of hours is (IMHO) still foolproof at very high pressures/velocities.
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=10

*(simple greasy-finger wipe-on)

Last edited by mehavey; August 9, 2021 at 10:26 AM.
Old August 13, 2021, 08:41 AM   #11
Seedy Character

HF red worked great. It was discontinued and is impossible to find.

HF black does pretty good.

HF white and yellow SUCK!

1# will coat a lot of bullets. HF is about $8 per #. High quality PC is double or more.
You get what you pay for. The results are worth it. IF you are going to take the time to PC ( time will be your top investment), get quality powder.

Otherwise, by PC or HyTek bullets. Eggleston is a good place to start.

Last edited by Seedy Character; August 17, 2021 at 07:59 AM.
Old August 13, 2021, 05:41 PM   #12
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedy Character View Post
HF red worked great. It was discontinued and is impossible to find.

HF black does pretty good.

HF white and yellow SUCK!

1# will coat a lot of bullets. HF is about $8 per #. High quality PC is double or more.
You get what you pay for. The results are worth it. IF you are going to take the time to PC ( time will be your top investment), get quality powder.

Otherwise, by PC or HoTel bullets. Eggleston is a good place to start.
As I stated earlier, Harbor Freight Red only works well if applied with an electrostatic gun. If the "shake and bake" method is used, the coverage is poor and the powder color will change from Red to Maroon as it presumably wears the lead from the bullets.

Don't take my word for it. Go over the the "Cast Boolets" web sight and see the plethera of negative comments concern Harbor Freight powders... especially the Red.
Old August 14, 2021, 12:39 PM   #13
Geezerbiker

Some time (long) time ago someone recommended this place to get powder coating.
https://www.powderbuythepound.com/

Anyone done business with them more recently?

Tony
Old August 14, 2021, 02:36 PM   #14
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezerbiker View Post
Some time (long) time ago someone recommended this place to get powder coating.
https://www.powderbuythepound.com/

Anyone done business with them more recently?

Tony
I have. The majority of my shooting is .38 Special. I use Powder by the Pound, Sky Blue RAL 5015 exclusively for that round. I get what seems like 100% coverage.
Old August 15, 2021, 03:13 PM   #15
G.O. West

I go to a professional powder coat shop and ask to buy some powder coat odds and ends that they might have left-over from some big job. I get excellent quality, and as often as not when I tell them what I want it for they just give it to me for free.
Old August 15, 2021, 07:01 PM   #16
mehavey

Is that "deli mustard" PC ?
Old August 15, 2021, 08:38 PM   #17
Carriertxv

Sure can’t go wrong with Eastwood powder.
Old August 15, 2021, 08:48 PM   #18
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I picked up a bottle of Harbor Freight black yesterday. Now I just need to find the old toaster oven I had set aside for hobby projects so long ago that I can't remember where I put it.
Jeepaholic
Old August 18, 2021, 08:45 PM   #19
Unclenick
Staff

It's in the garage under the old tarp with the partial bags of leftover fertilizer sitting on it. Well, OK, that's where mine is. But yours will be in some place analogous.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 18, 2021, 09:18 PM   #20
ballardw

In the attic behind the Christmas ornaments covered by the drop cloth from the last painting project.