The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 3, 2016, 10:01 AM   #1
zanemoseley

Decapping Die For Small Flash Holes?

So I just finished my 6mm Fat Rat AR that uses modified 6.5 Grendel brass. By design this brass has small flash holes. I got a set of Whidden dies with the barrel, it has a sizing die with a small primer pin. Problem is I SS wet tumble and like to clean the pockets and also makes for easier drying but I don't wanna run dirty brass through my nice sizing die.

Like yesterday I shot the rifle for the first time to fireform and sight in the rifle. Then I wanted to turn around and reload those to shoot at 600 today but couldn't decapp before tumbling. So after draining the brass I tried putting the brass in the oven at 170 to dry for 30 minutes. When I resized the old primers and pocket were still really wet. So before seating primers I blew out pretty good with compressed air but I'm sure there was still some residual moisture in there. I'm about to go shoot the rounds and I hope they're not ruined from moisture. Would have been a lot easier if I could have decapped them before tumbling.
Old April 3, 2016, 10:20 AM   #2
brasscollector

Not entirely sure what you mean by small flash holes. What I use is a Lee universal decapping die and it works for me on everything from 204 ruger to 45-70. I bought an inexpensive Lee single-stage press for only the purpose of decapping so as to keep that crud away from my main press.
Old April 3, 2016, 11:31 AM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
By design this brass has small flash holes.
I'm sure someone thinks this is a good idea, but you'll have to explain to me why....

Is there a question here?? Or are you just asking for opinions?

To me, it seems you are using brass with a non-standard size flash hole, and this isn't working well with your usual brass prep practices. Is that the issue?

When you use something that amounts to a "custom" set up, you often have to make allowances (changes) in some part of your routine.

Quote:
I got a set of Whidden dies with the barrel, it has a sizing die with a small primer pin.
Just to be sure I am getting this right, your cases have a smaller than standard flash hole, and your sizing die has a smaller than standard decapping pin, right?

And your issue is that you want to decap your fired dirty brass (so you can clean it) before sizing. Is that right?

Do you have any spare "small size" decapping pins??? If you don't, GET SOME!!! Perhaps from your die maker. You may never need one, but if you do, nothing else will work, and when that happens, buddy, you are done.

An entire spare decapping spindle assy isn't a bad idea. Any time you are using custom equipment (dies or whatever) it is a prudent idea to get a collection of spare parts, from the custom maker, WHILE they are still in business.

I don't wet tumble anything, so I can't speak to your issues there.
Old April 3, 2016, 06:32 PM   #4
zanemoseley

Yes the Lapua 6.5 Grendel brass has smaller than normal flash holes, .020 smaller give or take. I've heard its also done in the 6PPC and supposedly is supposed to increase accuracy, whether or not the difference is perceivable is beyond me.

I would like to decap before wet tumbling as to avoid water retention in the primer & primer pocket as well as cleaning the primer pocket. I do not want to size/decap before tumbling as running dirty brass through expensive dies makes me cringe.

I suppose I could buy an extra Lee decapper and try to make the pin smaller by sanding. I would say I could use a lathe but not sure if that would be possible with it being such a fine point without it bending.
Old April 3, 2016, 07:02 PM   #5
stubbicatt

Yep. My 6.5x47 has small flash holes. The Lee Universal Decapper works just fine, as do my Whidden dies.
Old April 3, 2016, 07:41 PM   #6
BumbleBug

I had a similar problem trying to use my RCBS universal de-capper on 6mmPPC brass. I ordered the decapping stem part ONLY from LEE for their 6mmPPC collet die. They cost $3 each. I recommend buying a couple to make the postage worthwhile. Now I manually decap prior to cleaning or other prep of 6PPC.

FWIW...
Old April 3, 2016, 08:48 PM   #7
zanemoseley

Well I had a spare decapping pin for my Lee decapping die. I put it into my drill press and sanded with sandpaper. Took about 15 minutes but now it decaps the 6.5 Grendel brass fine. I'll look into getting a smaller Lee die should I break this one.
Old April 3, 2016, 09:11 PM   #8
4runnerman

Don't clean your primer pockets Untill you need to. I shoot a 6MMBR, same thing with small flash holes. I do not clean primer pockets till primer will not seat properly. The carbon in the bottom of the primer pocket helps makes an air tight seal with the primer. There have been tests done to show clean primer pockets can decrease accuracy. I won't go there because of backlash, but also do some reading on wet tumbeling too. I had one for maybe 2 months and will ot use it anymore. back to media for me.
Old April 4, 2016, 09:16 AM   #9
mdemetz

RCBS has both small and large de-capping pins in their straight style.
Old April 4, 2016, 11:47 AM   #10
bfoosh006

Lee Universal Depriming and Decapping Die. The "pin" is permanently part of the stem.

Buy a spare stem.... polish it to the size you want.

I have read to many stories of people getting decapping replacable pins being pulled out and left in a loaded case. ( depending on how you load ) .... just a added hassle to find where that pulled pin is.

Numerous 5.56 cases have smaller then "normal" primer flash holes as well.

Hirtenberger, Guat. surplus...

I "think" even some Hirtenberger .308 / 7.62x51 case have some as well.
Old April 4, 2016, 11:00 PM   #11
briandg

A thought might be to use your drill press and fine paper to size your pin down, measuring with tour calipers. Once deprimed, there are companies who make a flash hole dreamer that is intended to cut all flash holes to a uniform and standard size.

Just my opinion.
Old April 5, 2016, 08:29 AM   #12
BBarn

I chucked up the decapping rod/pin from a Lee decapping die and sanded it down just as zanemoseley stated above. Needed a smaller one for decapping Hornady 22 Hornet factory brass that has smaller than normal flash holes.

Just need to be a little more careful than normal to make sure the decapping pin enters the small flash hole. If everything isn't centered, the "pin" can break off when it crashes into the case head if you are a bit hasty with the press handle.