The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 4, 2011, 08:04 PM   #1
mo84

500 S&W recoil is weaker

I reloaded some 500 S&W shells a while back with hornady xtp 350 gr. bullets and H110 at 43 gr. powder. the recoil does not seem to be as heavy as the factory bullets I bought with the same gr. bullets. I am just curious as to why that might be. Are the factory shells loaded with a heavier charge maybe? The charge I used is the max charge my book recomends by the way.
Old September 4, 2011, 10:32 PM   #2
studman5578

I can't speak specifically, but I know that the 'max load' in the loading books is dictated by the pressure achieved by the powder. However, the point at which the chamber reaches that pressure and the length of time that the bullet is subjected to high pressures, is what determines the bullet speed and thus the recoil.

For example, you get a really fast burning powder like Hodgdon Clays, and you'll reach your max pressure almost immediately and the pressure will be dropping significantly before the bullet leaves the barrel. On the other extreme, you get a slow burning rifle powder like IMR 4064, and you'll end up reaching the maximum pressure when the bullet leaves the barrel, so you wasted pressure that you could have been putting on the bullet.

What you might want to look for, if you're trying to find a real cooker of a load (I know because i shoot the 357, which is a 22 compared to the 500 ), is get the powder that is reported to have the highest velocity bullet. This means that the bullet will have the highest energy going away from you and because of conservation of momentum, you'll also have the most energy going back towards you, aka recoil.
Rev 5:13 "To him who sits on the throne and the Lamb be praise honor and glory and power, for ever and ever"
Old September 4, 2011, 10:54 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

What muzzle velocity is predicted by your load manual and what velocity is claimed by the factory ammo? Neither is likely to be correct but the difference, all else being equal MIGHT give you some indication of the relative recoil. Barrel length would be the biggest discrepancy here.

That said, even loads that generate the same velocity with the same bullet weight can have dramatically different felt recoil. A major contributing factor is muzzle pressure. A "fast burning" powder will accelerate the bullet quicker, reach peak pressure sooner and have less pressure at the muzzle. A "slower" powder will peak later, average higher pressure and likely have higher muzzle pressure. When the bullet leaves the barrel, it is essentially "uncorking" a rocket. All the pressure left behind it is free to escape at it's maximum expansion rate. Higher pressure equals higher "rocket effect" equals higher recoil. We know it more commonly as "muzzle blast".
Old September 5, 2011, 08:03 AM   #4
mo84

thanks for the explaination guys, that makes alot of sense. I looked at the box of ammo and it says the volocity is 1801 and the reloads are 1750 so I guess that makes all the difference. I did not know they put the volocity on the box of ammo untill today, guess ya learn somthing new everyday I really like shooting the reloads because I can shoot them without bruising the inside web of my hand lol