The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 1, 2011, 01:24 PM   #26
M.O.A.

yes snuffy i cant spell well and im dyslectic to so what at least im still on here stating my opinion

and where is it your job to point out othere peoples flaws
Old September 1, 2011, 01:34 PM   #27
chris in va

So anyway, back on the subject...

Bought a tumbler from Harbor Freight. No instructions came with it, and I didn't tighten down the wingnut hard enough. After a while the hole in the lid opened up and the small bits went flying. Bought a large washer as a 'fix' but two weeks later the motor siezed.

Took it back, got another one after I had to buy their "extended warranty" for $6.

I can't remember the last time something made in China didn't crap out on me prematurely.
Old September 1, 2011, 03:16 PM   #28
m&p45acp10+1

Chris I have the Chicago tumbler from HF. The motor is great. In fact it is so powerful the threads stripped out on the center post that hold the lid on. Mine works fine, it is just loud, and makes a mess. I use an extension cord, and use it outside.

I got it for $5 at a garage sale. I would upgrade, but I am too cheap to do that.

Oh and to stay with the OPs topic.

I had a SL digital scale that worked just fine, till my kitten jumped on my bench, and knocked it to the floor. It would not work right after that. I am not sure any digital reloading scale would have worked after that though. I can say as far as thier presses go. I would buy a Lee press.(Which I do own one andi it still works just fine.)
Old September 1, 2011, 05:06 PM   #29
Civil War Life

I am not defending China. Far from it. I buy American when I can. My problem is that I run a souvenir shop in a tourist town. About a quarter of the stuff I sell is made in China, and its junk. Pure crap. Problem is when people ask for stuff made in US and I show it to them they say "too expensive". People want American made products at China prices. Take a look at Walmart's parking lot some time. The place is full of people buying Chinese junk, why? because it is CHEAP. That is why hardly anything is made here any more.

Getting down off my soap box. And yes, I'm part of the problem. But, I wouldn't be if people would actually buy the American stuff I sell.
Old September 1, 2011, 05:21 PM   #30
Berry's MfG

I don't normally talk smack about other companies in our industry, but the fact is that Smart Reloading created a complete line of products based on direct copies of other companies products. I don't think they should be rewarded for it and now that they've sold it to the public they've made enough money to invest in their own products. Without directly copying and consumers buying those copies then they would not be in business. I've heard the argument of not infringing on patents and good on them, but I call BS on that argument. The reality of letting our manufacturing base go over seas has left us without certain capabilities. We set out last year to make a completely made in the USA digital reloading scale that would retail under the $125 price mark. As we got into the project two components are no longer made in the US in any volume to keep pricing down. Load cells and LCD screens would put the product beyond available if we had them made here. It was an eye opener for us on the technology base that has been shipped out of country. By the way did you see their new stealth fighter and aircraft carrier? I know it is nearly impossible not to by China products, but don't fool yourself into believing they wear a white hat.
Old September 2, 2011, 12:39 PM   #31
Inspector3711

On the tumbler post... I've got the harbor freight double rock tumbler. Been using it for about four years now with no troubles. Put thousands of cases through it and never even had to replace a belt yet.

The wife was unemployed back then so cheap was just fine. I can fix anything that goes wrong with a tumbler for cheap too.

Sometimes a guy gets lucky.

I now have a Hornady vibrating tumbler but still use the cheapie from time to time.

As far as presses go, I'd buy a used American made press before I bought Chinese. Heard bad stuff about them thangs.
Old September 2, 2011, 01:03 PM   #32
Berry's MfG

We used to use a made in USA C-frame motor for our tumblers and then they sold the unit off and moved it to Mexico. We sourced another company but the price was double and we could not get the switch and cord installed with the unit. We had to go to China to get the motor and cord, everything else we make in house. The vibratory case cleaner market is dominated by low cost products, a unit with a USA motor and cord set would have a retail price point around $100. We've asked our bigger customers if it's a viable product and have no takers. Recently we had one of the big brand companies come to us to make their tumblers because China is not as easy and cheap to do business with as it once was. We gave them our best price and they choked when they saw it. Companies have gotten use to the fat margins from China, kinda like governments used to tax dollars. As of now the only two products we make using China parts are the motor for the tumbler and LCD and load cell for the scale. We're doing our best to source made in USA.
Old September 3, 2011, 02:09 AM   #33
Jimro

Well I'd love to have a real Winchester 1892 someday, but those Italian copies are a heckuva lot cheaper...

And while I love made in America Powders made in America there are some pretty awesome Scandinavian powders too...

And Browning and Weatherby shotguns and rifles, made in Japan, very high quality for a real bargan those Weatherby Vanguards.

International trade is a touchy subject, I think the real reason we are having this discussion is because China is deliberately keeping their currency depressed to pay their workers squat to fuel internal economic growth.

However, the rise of the Chinese middle class will eventually do away with the slave labor prices and then Americans will start buying Indian made crap. Mahrinda tractors anyone?

Jimro