The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 20, 2006, 02:32 PM   #1
oldmaster111

Crescent shotgun

I picked up a Crescent shotgun at a gun show. Got it for a song and bought it because I come from Connecticut where it was made. Someone butchered it trying to make it shorter by lopping off some of the stock and cutting down the barrel. She is very clean and shoots well but I am wondering if anyone could give me an idea of something I could use as a replacement for the cut down stock. Right now it's about the length of a mare's leg lever rifle and they did a crappy job at that. It would be more fun to shoot with a fuller length stock but I'm not sure where to begin. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old October 20, 2006, 02:49 PM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Several stock makers will put one on for you, expeeeeeeeeeeensive, or you can purchase a semi-inlet stock and finish it yourself. I am assuming it is a side lock, and these are very touchy when trying to fit a stocl. Lot of meticulous hand work.

One could feasibly fit a piece of wood to get the extra length, but then consmetically is still looks ragged.

HJN
Old October 20, 2006, 03:14 PM   #3
kozak6

So, would you say that the shotgun has a barrel shorter than 18" and the gun has an overall length under 26"?

If so, you better do something, and do something quick.

It's very naughty to own in that configuration.
Old October 20, 2006, 11:48 PM   #4
oldmaster111

Checking the measurements of this shotgun was the first thing I did and it is legal. Just looks crummy. I guess I will add wood to the existing stock. I was a furniture refinisher for years, so I think I can make it look passable. Thanks for your input
Old October 21, 2006, 10:12 AM   #5
Rimrod

I believe Crescent was bought out by Stevens. You could check with Gun-Parts to see if they have a replacement stock.