The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 18, 2012, 03:29 PM   #1
raindog

Reloading "the governor's brass" - what's the red paint for?

I live in a state where new gun sellers are not required to send an empty shell casing to the state police. So if I buy a new gun, there's a little sealed envelope inside with one empty case.

I realized the other day that's one more reloadable brass, so I opened the envelopes.

For a Ruger GP100, the factory used a .357 Magnum Hornady. There's a coat of red paint on the primer end...looks like someone picked up the round and dabbed it in red paint. Same thing in a Ruger LCR casing. What's the paint for? Assuming I scrape the paint off, any issue with reloading these? I assume not.

For a Glock, they used CCI. I'm not sure the brass is actually brass, as it's a grey metal. Two empty rounds inside the envelope.
Old November 18, 2012, 03:34 PM   #2
WIL TERRY

Most pistol ammunition with red markings in the case head, and sometimes elsewhere, are proof loads.
Old November 18, 2012, 03:57 PM   #3
FrankenMauser

A red-lacquered case head indicates a proof load.
The case should also have a silver-grey appearance. SAAMI recommends all proof load casings be tin-plated.

You can reload them, but you need to keep in mind that the cases experienced a minimum of a 30% over-pressure (over maximum allowable pressure).