The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old February 10, 2021, 12:09 PM   #26
ammo.crafter

Hmmm...

The SIG.
Old February 10, 2021, 01:25 PM   #27
totaldla

Neither are ideal. But the Dan Wesson is better than another Tonka Toy bloat-butt 9mm designed for kiddies.

My Pro Carry weighs 33oz loaded with (8) 185gr rounds and gives a full grip. How come DW Vigil hits 29oz unloaded, with a short grip and 9mm? I'm not impressed. Over-priced and under-performing IMHO.
Old February 10, 2021, 01:47 PM   #28
44 AMP
Staff

Ask yourself, of the two, which one are you going to be able to REPLACE easiest, when the time comes??

Because you will want to....

No matter which one you choose, once its gone, you are going to have moments of "I want that back"....

Personally, I'd keep both and find some other way to raise the needed cash.
Old February 11, 2021, 07:13 AM   #29
redlightrich

Being you don't say for how long, I would pick the 1911. I am not crazy about 9mm 1911, but if it were your "forever" keeper, spares will be easier to obtain. It is simple and functional, and easy to keep that way. The sig is nice, but in a forever situation, I say keep the 1911. Ask yourself, which one would be easier to fix if it had an issue?
That may clear it up.

Either way, good luck

Rich
Old February 11, 2021, 08:42 AM   #30
Onward Allusion

Keep the Sig. It's a classic but it's also more practical than the 1911 because you can slap a regular capacity mag on a rainy day.
Old February 11, 2021, 08:45 AM   #31
Onward Allusion

Quote:
Neither are ideal. But the Dan Wesson is better than another Tonka Toy bloat-butt 9mm designed for kiddies.
LOL, now that is the first time that I have ever heard of a 226 described in that manner. Hey everyone has one.
Old February 11, 2021, 11:28 AM   #32
Shadow9mm

Personally, the Sig, hands down, no questuons asked.
Old February 11, 2021, 02:03 PM   #33
44 AMP
Staff

Everyone has one??
I don't.

I don't have a Tonka Toy bloat-butt 9mm designed for kiddies. OR a P-226.
Old February 11, 2021, 06:03 PM   #34
jr24

Have had both (ok my DW was a Valkyrie) and I kept the Sig because my WC EDC X9 does everything the 1911 does but better (actually it also outperforms the Sig, maybe I'll sell that some day too).

That said, if it was just those two I would keep the DW because my back doesn't let me carry the heavy Sig all day without nightly and morning back pain, the CCO carries much easier for me.
Old February 12, 2021, 06:46 AM   #35
RETG

Quote:
This kiddie actually carried one of those for many years in the jungles of SE Asia (not with the military; the US gov't). Have you ever carried a handgun where it could be your life on the line and not just a trip to Wallyworld or the range?
Just curious. (Rhetorical!)
But a gun is just a tool, and pretty tools are not always the correct answer. In fact, in my experience...never the correct answer.

As for everyone has one I would agree, not everyone has one of either gun.

However, using some simple logic if the SHTF all you need is one handgun and enough ammo with the knowledge and training to make sure you can hit what you aim at and in a short period of time, you will gain another weapon. Or, you won't and the someone else will gain your weapon but you won't care anymore.
I give MY OPINION (not often) based on many years shooting at, other than paper targets. I will not debate my experience vs. your experience based on dreams and "what ifs." I'm 73; I'm too damn old to care.

Last edited by RETG; February 12, 2021 at 06:57 AM.
Old February 12, 2021, 10:18 AM   #36
dyl

I guess it depends. Are these two guns your "for fun" only guns, and you already have carry pistols? If these are just the icing on the top, then you can throw utility out if your carry routine doesn't involve these. If you want some nostalgia / class, the 1911. If the sig is your one and only race gun, then the sig. If the Dan Wesson was just to practice in 9mm, it sounds like you have another nice 45 ACP somewhere, so you could sell the 9mm and not lose your only 1911 specimen. I would think the Sig would also keep its value just fine as Sig isn't going anywhere soon, having won the recent military contract. Basically, I think based on what you have already, intended use / wants, you might be able to find a reason for one or the other.
Old February 12, 2021, 10:21 AM   #37
insman1132

Which ever one feels the most comfortable in your hand.
Old February 13, 2021, 08:47 AM   #38
Carl the Floor Walker

The 1911. As far as comfort and great feel the 1911. Both great guns.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; February 13, 2021 at 08:54 AM.
Old February 13, 2021, 11:02 AM   #39
hornetguy

Both are great pistols.... I would likely keep the Sig, even though I'm not too sure about the optic...
Old February 13, 2021, 01:26 PM   #40
4V50 Gary
Staff

Sig, but I don't have one.
Old February 13, 2021, 02:59 PM   #41
FunGramps

Love the 1911, but no.
Keep the Sig. IMO a more reliable weapon, and I see it's ready to rock and roll.
Old February 13, 2021, 05:22 PM   #42
tomrkba

SIG Legion ... not even close. I have Dan Wessons and am not impreessed with their reliability. One is at Nighthawk getting fixed.
Old February 13, 2021, 08:43 PM   #43
YankeeIronSights

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, comments and valuable feedback. After much deliberations and reviewing all of your shared personal experiences, I ended up selling the 1911. This was primarily a range gun that was purchased to help me practice with cheaper 9mm ammo. I own other nice 1911s in .45 acp and will continue to enjoy the platform, when ammo becomes available.

I really like Sig Sauers. The P226 Legion SAO is an amazing pistol. It is a reliable tack driver out of the box. I think that keeping it was the right decision.

I have adopted the P365 and the P365XL for every day carry. They are light, reliable and accurate. They have very nice sights too, with ten round capacity. When I retire and move to a free state, they will still be useful when carried with standard capacity magazines.

Thanks again for all your comments and advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Closed Thread