The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 1, 2018, 04:57 PM   #1
10-96

Victory Magazine Safety

I just picked up my Victory 22 Target Model and started scouring the innerwebs. I noticed an item from Tandemkross that allows the owner to remove the magazine safety bar and put a non-functioning blank bar in it's place that will still allow for assisted magazine ejection. Now, I know Bullseye shooters can be a persnickety bunch, but what exactly is the sound logic for removing something that doesn't effect the performance of the pistol? Or, is this dummy bar more for the outdoors hiking folks?

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old June 3, 2018, 09:31 PM   #2
bbqncigars

I just removed my 'safety bar' and went on with my life. The replacement part is a solution in search of a problem.
Old June 4, 2018, 10:33 AM   #3
Siggy-06

Some pistols do have their triggers affected by a magazine safety. Browning Hi Powers come to mind. A S&W Victory trigger, I doubt it'd make a difference.
Old June 4, 2018, 12:05 PM   #4
HighValleyRanch

According to the NRA precision pistol rule book, if you are using it for competition, the safety must be left intact and operational. (section 3 on equipment)
http://rulebooks.nra.org/documents/p...istol-book.pdf

But in all the many years that I competed in then "conventional" pistol competitions, I can't remember one time or reason that I would ever engage the safety. No firearm was to be loaded until given the command to load, and if there were any problems, then all weapons were to be made clear and all shooters stepping back from the firing line.
Old June 4, 2018, 02:56 PM   #5
GarandTd

I didn't look at the link, but does that rule apply to the magazine disconnect safety or the manual safety or both?

In a defensive or duty pistol, I would not want a magazine disconnect safety, but on a target 22, I don't have a problem with it and wouldn't give it much thought.
I do understand wanting to remove it if that makes a positive change in trigger pull.
Old June 4, 2018, 03:52 PM   #6
HighValleyRanch

the NRA rule books states that all original safeties must be in operatiing condition.
But also I've never seen any pre-safety checks happen expept in case of an alibi or misfire.
And of course if you shoot a record score, your pistol might be checked for compliance, but that's never happen for me!
Old June 4, 2018, 05:29 PM   #7
DPris
Member Emeritus

I've got the new target Victory here.
I'm against mag disconnects (I don't consider them a "safety") in general & won't have one on a serious gun, but in this .22 I don't care.
Denis
Old June 4, 2018, 11:12 PM   #8
10-96

Bbqncigars said
Quote:
The replacement part is a solution in search of a problem.
Maybe not entirely, the Tandemkross page says their bar adds more vigor or oomphiness in the ejection of the magazine. I don't know how or if removing the factory part plays a part in the spring assisted ejection of the magazine.

GarandTD said
Quote:
In a defensive or duty pistol, I would not want a magazine disconnect safety
Odd thing there, my agency requires all handguns have a magazine safety disconnect. Kinda makes sense for entering psych wards I guess.

I'm going to play with mine for a while before I decide whether or not to change mine out. Still seems odd that somebody thought the world needed such a feature.

Old June 8, 2018, 06:37 PM   #9
Bart Noir

"oomphiness"

I just learned a new word. It might take me a while to find a place to use it, but use it I shall.

Thank you.

Bart Noir
Who wonders if it is spelled "oomphyness"
Old June 9, 2018, 05:11 PM   #10
10-96

Lol, glad I could help. It's really not all that hard to work in fine words such as gaposis, floposis, and oomphiness when discussing firearm workings.