The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old February 4, 2018, 10:17 AM   #1
Onward Allusion

Idiotic things said here . . .

- Get (grandma, grandpa, disabled person) with strength or dexterity issues a shotgun for HD. [Brilliant - have a weak person who can barely rack a slide wield an unwieldy heavy shotgun]

- Move if your neighborhood is THAT bad. [Ever ask yourself who would choose to live in a neighborhood ON PURPOSE???]

- Move out of (New Jersey, California, New York, or some other draconian State) - I have to admit that I've said this dumb thing...never taking into account the person's career, family, roots, or other factors.

- Get a dog. [y'all know that it's generally a 10+ year commitment, right? What if the person lives in an apartment? Oh, wait - MOVE...]

- If you save a little more, you can get a (fill in the blank) [But what if the person really needs a gun for protection now or can get by with a Hi Point?]

There are at least a dozen more, but I'll leave that up to all y'all.
Old February 4, 2018, 10:53 AM   #2
xandi

What no aks are superduper reliable comments, or ar15s are dirt, or DI is inferior in every way to a piston
Or anything comparing a pistol design in 1908 to one designed in the 1980s
Old February 4, 2018, 10:57 AM   #3
seeker_two

What gun is best for a female?......because te wimmins can't figure out how to use a device unless it is specifically made for her gender....

....and why doesn't anyone ask "What gun is best for a trans?"....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Old February 4, 2018, 11:09 AM   #4
stephen426

Quote:
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
There are plenty of reasons to sell a gun:
- You don't like it
- You like something better and you need the money
- You need the money for something more important
- You don't use it (or rarely ever us it)

I had a Sig P245 that I did not get along well with. I could shoot very well with my Sig P228 and P229, but my groupings with the P245 was never up to my satisfaction. I went to a gun show and traded it (plus cash) for a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special. That is probably one of my favorite guns and am extremely accurate with it.

I also had a Springfield Armory XDs .45 and hated the trigger. I added the Precision River Trigger which caused light strikes. Sold it to a friend who wanted it and have never looked back.

Last edited by stephen426; February 4, 2018 at 11:14 AM.
Old February 4, 2018, 11:12 AM   #5
TXAZ

"Everyone knows..."

"How many rounds do I need for a gunfight?"

"A Glock is better than..."

"Anything is better than a Glock..."

"...Mozambique drill is required...."

"The shockwave alone from a .50BMG will kill a ..."

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old February 5, 2018, 08:02 AM   #6
JT-AR-MG42

Quote:
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
How about folks who don't actually READ the post (or quote) before responding about it?

His quote specifically reads like those are his rules (he makes no mention of others at all) so how do they affect you or anyone else?

Your post, without directly referencing the quote, is well taken and I could not agree more concerning
those who blithely advise without even asking or considering circumstances.

Just sayin'

JT
Old February 5, 2018, 08:34 AM   #7
jersurf101

"You don't shoot them in the eating parts"

I have seen everthing but the behind the shoulder heart/lung shot chastised here as it relates to medium game hunting. That is a narrow view. There are a lot of other places to take game cleanly like the base of the neck and a high shoulder shot for starters.

How much meat do you get out of an animal you don't recover?
Old February 5, 2018, 08:38 AM   #8
Rothdel

My favorite is when a person specifically calls out something they don't want or are not interested in and the first 2-3 replies specifically call out that they should look at the exact thing the OP says they don't want.

See that all the time in the Semi Auto forum. I'm looking for a decent .308 semi auto but really not interested in an AR-10 platform, any suggestions.

First 2 posts---- You should get an AR-10 best gun ever.
Old February 5, 2018, 09:50 AM   #9
joed

Quote:
- Move if your neighborhood is THAT bad. [Ever ask yourself who would choose to live in a neighborhood ON PURPOSE???]
About 8 years ago after a split I moved into a neighborhood in a large city. Wasn't bad when I moved in but within 3 years it declined. Though it never got bad in the section I was in about 2 blocks away it started. The gas station where I bought gas was robbed a few times a month, there were muggings, car jackings at stores close by and breakins. At one point a woman was killed in the gas station where I bought gas by someone shooting wildly from a passing car. I still stayed.

The payoff was a Sunday evening when I went to the drugstore 3 blocks away. As I pulled into the parking lot 2 large males ran in off the street and took a position to intercept me on my walk to the door. I carry. Got out of the car and started walking to the door prepared for the worst. After 4 steps towards the door I thought to myself "Who needs this". Risk my life to go to the store? Nope, turned around and left.

The next week I looked for a house in a rural area, purchased and moved within the month and put my old place up for sale. Took a beating on the old place but you can't put a price on peace of mind. I now live in a rural village where I can go anywhere on foot without fear for my life. About 20 miles from the city. I hear gun shots all the time, but these are from someone hunting or target shooting. This place reminds me of a Norman Rockwell painting. In 3 years I have gone back to visit friends maybe 3 times.

I look back on this now as one of the best moves in my life. Not everyone can afford to move to another state but most can afford to move out of a bad neighborhood.

These are my thoughts on the quoted statement.
Old February 5, 2018, 09:56 AM   #10
Jevyod

Not necessarily here but shooting forums on Facebook, "The 6.5 creedmor is what the 260 was supposed to be in the first place" or "the 6.5 Creedmoor holds pretty much even with the 260 out to 400 yards, then the Creedmor gets a definite edge over the 260"
I have pretty much come to the conclusion that these guys need to make the Creedmor look way better than the 260 because if it isn't, then they must admit that the only reason the Creedmoor is so much more popular is because of the "gun rags" that touted it to be some "super cartridge" that will magically make shooters 1000 yard competitors. Ok, climbing off the soapbox now!
Disclaimer: i have shot the 260 since 03
Old February 5, 2018, 10:21 AM   #11
joed

And while I'm in the mood, I always get a kick out of someone posting they are thinking of buying a rifle for hunting but can't decide between 2 distinct calibers, neither of which is a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Then comes 20 answers of "get a 6.5mm Creedmoor because it's the best and shoot only the heaviest match bullet you can find". If the forum has an ignore feature I usually put ignore on anyone that answered like this.
Old February 5, 2018, 10:44 AM   #12
Mike Irwin
Staff

OK, this really didn't start out with the best foot forward, and its done nothing but slip since.

This isn't the kind of discussion we need here, folks.

Closed.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread