The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 21, 2011, 11:20 PM   #1
alan48

Anyone with a browning auto 5 please join

Please share any info of your knoledge on the guns. I just got one made in 1953 made in belgium, 12 gauge standerd, 2 3/4" chamber, 27 1/2" barrel, just beed, no rib.

Any slug barrels for them that are cheaper than 400$?
Old December 24, 2011, 06:29 AM   #2
J A

LT 12 here

I have a 1969 vintage LT 12. 27 1/2 vent rib. Beautiful gun and fun to shoot. I looked at several gunshows before I found one nice enough to suit me. It has a special corner of the gunsafe right next to the Savage Automatic (A 5 clone) my late father left me. I don't shoot it much, but it is one of the first guns I pull out of the safe to show off to friends and family.
I do not know anything about the slug barrels. Good luck in that search. Enjoy the Browning.
Old December 24, 2011, 06:37 AM   #3
94bluerat

Alan,

Hasting used to make them, they seem to be hard to find for less than $400. They only come with rifled sites, no cantilever scope mount since the entire barrel moves back to operate the action.

I use mine only occasionally. For the cost of the barrel you could get an 870 with a scope and a fully rifled barrel.

That would give you better accuracy.

Good luck!

Rifleman
BSA Eagle Scout
Old December 24, 2011, 11:13 AM   #4
jrothWA

Have two A5's, 12ga MAG & Std. 16,

both used for hunting.
have a Buck barrel for the 12MAG and noticed that I have to shim the rear sightdue to excess clearance.

Had the windage set and then change elevation and the windage was lost.

0.009" shim both sides of front pivot, did the job.

Suggest you obtain new friction bronzes, steel rings & recoil spring to insure proper cycling, download fron Browning website a manual and parts list as ".pdf's".

If you want to get extra barrels, pay the price for the Japanese standard A5 barrel with the invector system, either the standard or plus, this allow non-toxic
shot to be use and not worry about the belguim barrel getting damaged.

Need to get the Standard barrels not the MAG barrels as they are made different and neither will fit the opposite receiver.

Enjoy!
Old December 24, 2011, 12:48 PM   #5
jaguarxk120

The Browning A5 is the finest auto-loading shotgun ever made. You will find out how good it is as you use it and look into the history of the gun.

Go to www.shotgunworld.com they have a forum just for Browning shotguns, and tere are sticky's just for the A-5. One member has complied a history of the A5, just look for it. Great gun!!!!
Old April 25, 2012, 03:53 PM   #6
Cole1220

Help me date my A5

I ahve a FN A-5 that i can not trace the numbers on. Has stamped behind the loading gate FN F56052 POL. It also has RA223 on the receiver in 2 places and RA 222 on the barrel. Has rear trigger and stamped above is "Made in Belgium CAI ST VT A5" Left side of Barrel says ****ACIER Special**** Fabrique National Belgium
Old April 25, 2012, 08:28 PM   #7
oneounceload

Quote:
Hasting used to make them,
Hastings never made anything - they were a marketing company like Charles Daly, Browning and others. Most likely Verney-Carron, a very respected French barrel company made the Hastings barrel. If you can't find it under Hastings, look under their name

Quote:
I ahve a FN A-5 that i can not trace the numbers on. Has stamped behind the loading gate FN F56052 POL. It also has RA223 on the receiver in 2 places and RA 222 on the barrel. Has rear trigger and stamped above is "Made in Belgium CAI ST VT A5" Left side of Barrel says ****ACIER Special**** Fabrique National Belgium
Here is a link to Browning serial numbers:
http://proofhouse.com/browning/index.html
Old April 25, 2012, 09:48 PM   #8
LSnSC

I have a Light Twelve and a Sweet Sixteen that have been in my family a while. My oldest has a Jap gun he shoots doves with a couple times a season. If you could afford it a Light Twelve or a Sweet Sixteen were the guns to have back in the day here in South Carolina. My FIL has an old Belgian gun thats has a Cutts Compensator. It goes about everywhere he does.
Old April 26, 2012, 04:56 PM   #9
yournodaisy

A-5's...you just cant beat em. Most people who don't like them don't take the time to understand how to set them up. I have yet to have one miss a beat.