The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 13, 2009, 08:18 AM   #1
garryc

CCI primers

Years ago when I started reloading I used CCI primers. I didn't care for them on consistancy and fit. Since then I've used Federal or Winchester primers and have been happy with them. Now it looks like I can get CCI primers faster, I only need standard small pistol and large pistol, My question is, have CCI primers improved over the last 25 years?
Old August 13, 2009, 08:53 AM   #2
oldcspsarge

Yes.........CCI completely revamped their primers a couple of years back.....they work great in my Dillon with an assortment of brass manufacturers.

Primers....if you see some...buy some !
Old August 13, 2009, 08:58 AM   #3
margiesex

CCI all the way.....

CCI's are just great! I try not to use anything else, but as the man said "If you see anykind on the shelf - buy 'em!"

They are in short supply pretty much everywhere.

Back in the day when I started in this hobby I used RWS exclusively - but they are no more, so I think CCI's are next best. Especially the BR2's.

God bless and keep shooting!

Margiesex

And remember: Hug your God and your guns - 'cause he's coming for them both, and soon!
Old August 13, 2009, 08:58 AM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

I recently had this discussion in another thread on this forum. The CCI's have always been harder to seat for me (though I haven't tried any recently, so I hope Oldspsarge is right), and another fellow said he'd looked under magnification and found mouth flaring and burrs on the lips of the CCI primer cups that were not present on the other brands you mentioned. But again, that was some time ago. I'd always assumed the cups were just harder, but apparently that is not so. Some I measured one time seemed to be about three ten thousandths bigger, too, which wouldn't help, but the cups themselves are of no thicker material. And that was in the 80's. Failure to fire due to being incompletely seated seems to have been the main cause of the impression they were harder (this does not count their #34 and #41 military hardness primers which actually have thicker cups and really are harder).

In any event, if you can run your brass through a swager meant for military crimp removal or a profile cutting reamer, like the Wilson, all primers will go in more easily. It never occurred to me before, but perhaps if you dip the end of a Q-tip in some dry case neck lube, then spin it in the primer pockets, you will see an improvement? Spraying the pockets with a spray-on dry lube (let it dry before priming) is another possibility to help them ease in?

I know CCI built a new production line that was supposed to come up last month (perhaps it did - maybe Rocky knows?), and if Oldspsarge has the story right, maybe it will do better, too? Primers change over time, though it is seldom announced to the public.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; August 13, 2009 at 09:04 AM.
Old August 13, 2009, 10:22 AM   #5
Dannyl

0.5" groups using CCI primers

Hi,
I have been using CCI primers (Winchester is my alternative, but only if there is no stock) for the past 13 years.

I have never had problems with them and my Remington 700 groups 1/2" at 100M
with 150 Gr Hornady SST, 2550 FPS, Locally made powder , Federal cases, CCI primers.
I also use the 180Gr Hornady SST, at 2650 FPS, with groups of 3/4".

I cannot find any reason to fault CCI, they work well for me.

I also use them for my hadguns, except for my revolver (0.357)
I only use Federals with it because with their being softer I can have a very soft DA trigger pull. ( I tried others, but if I do not increase the trigger tension I get misfires with DA due to light-strikes)

Brgds,
Danny
Old August 13, 2009, 10:30 AM   #6
garryc

Well, I have a number of Winchester LR that is rated for standard of magnum, they always worked well even with H110 loads. I'll save those for true magnum loads. For 357 mag loads I always use Blue Dot and standard primers have always worked well.

My consern was the difficult seating. These will be use in my RCBS Pro 2000 and that APS system. Mostly they will be used for 38spl, 9mm, 44 spl and 45acp.
Old August 13, 2009, 10:48 AM   #7
BigJimP

I'm using CCI primers exclusively in my handgun loads for the last 5 or 6 years since I got back into metallic reloading - on a Dillon 650 - and I've had no issues at all.

I shoot 4 - 6 boxes a week in a variety of calibers ( from 9mm to .44 mag ) - so call it 10,000 rounds a year for the last 5 years or an easy 50,000 rounds and no misfires, no problems.
Old August 13, 2009, 10:53 AM   #8
garryc

Ok, well, I'll put them in consideration. The order will go to Graffs under my license. I imagine I'll have to wait for back order
Old August 13, 2009, 10:59 AM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

I quit using CCI primers many years ago for many of the same reasons.

Recently I got a really good deal on some in APS strips, so I bought them. I'm pretty happy with them so far.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 13, 2009, 11:48 AM   #10
BigJimP

Supply really depends - just last week at one of my local shops, I picked up 2 cases ( 5,000 to a case ) of small pistol primers and 2 cases of large pistol primers. Price on them was up / but they were in stock.

I also picked up 8 lbs of Hodgdon TiteGroup and 6 cases of bullets in a variety of calibers ..... so it just depends.

That buy will get me thru the next 6 - 8 months ....